VLC for Android is Finally Out of Beta and Available in the Google Play Store

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
vlc-for-android.jpeg

It's certainly been a long time coming, but VLC for Android is finally in a fully fleshed out and functional form. The folks at Videolabs tweaked the media player app enough to take it out of beta and offer it as a finished product in the Google Play Store. Here's the description,
VLC media player is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player that plays most multimedia files as well as discs, devices, and network streaming protocols.
This is a BETA version of the port of VLC media player to the Android™ platform. It plays both audio and video.

It is intended for everyone, but this version is not perfectly stable.
It is still a beta, so it might kill your kitten or destroy your house, but it should be mostly fine now.
Use it at your own risk. Have fun! :)

NOTA BENE
–––––––––––
This version is for devices with an ARMv7 CPU or a x86 CPU. ARMv6 devices will be supported in a future release.

Features
––––––––––
VLC for Android™ plays most local video and audio files, as well as network streams (including adaptive streaming), DVD ISOs, like the desktop version of VLC.
VLC for Android has a media library for audio and video files, and allows to browse folders directly.

VLC has support for multi-track audio and subtitles. It supports auto-rotation, aspect-ratio adjustments and gestures to control volume and brightness.
It also includes a widget for audio control, supports audio headsets control, cover art and a complete audio media library.

It's available for free on the Google Play Store here: VLC for Android - Android Apps on Google Play

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
They are calling this version a prerelease. Is this a new grey area for releases?

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's funny how software companies are afraid of commitment... :D

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
It's funny how software companies are afraid of commitment... :D

I was thinking the same thing. I find it strange that they have kept this under the beta umbrella for so long. I've been using it as my goto video app forever now and can't recall ever having an issue with it.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
They always say it's BETA...so that they can't call it bug free. Hell, Windows is still in beta as far as I'm concerned.