Vizualogic shows off Android-powered headrest monitors

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
c4558_DSC_4169_610x343.jpg

Tired of your kid poking the back of the driver’s seat on a long road trip? Soon you’ll be able to give your child in the back seat something else to poke at — an Android tablet embedded into a headrest. VizuaLogic already offers a line of headrest monitors designed to work with DVD or game consoles so that passengers can while away the hours by ignoring their surroundings. The company’s latest offering is a 7 inch tablet with a 1 GHz single core processor, 512MB of RAM, and 4GB of storage. It runs Google Android 2.3 Gingerbread and can handle games, video, web browsing over WiFi, or other tasks. The tablet has a capacitive touchscreen and front-facing ports for plugging in a headset, microSD card, or USB peripheral. There’s also a connector that lets you plug in a DVD player and an HDMI port. There will also be a remote control accessory. The VizuaLogic tablet t isn’t designed to be removed from the headrest, which is why the ports are all hanging out on the front. It also won’t be cheap. CNET reports that a pair of two headrests will run about $1400 when they launch in early 2012. When asked why Gingerbread was used rather than the newer and tablet-optimized Honeycomb (or Ice Cream Sandwich) versions of the Android OS, Vizualogic stated that the the unit would be updated to version 3.1 or better by the time it reaches production. However, I'm guessing that the real reason Gingerbread 2.3 was chosen was because the hardware specs aren't very impressive. A bank of physical buttons for home, menu, back, and power functions can be found below the touch screen, and a Wi-Fi connection (either through your paired mobile phone or a wireless hot spot) brings the Internet into the backseat for streaming audio, YouTube videos, Netflix, Skype, or whatever other apps you'd like to install. The unit should also ship with a wireless remote controller and possibly a pair of IR headphones.

SOURCE: Vizualogic shows off Android-powered headrest monitors | SEMA show - CNET Reviews

Last edited:

Heywood

Reaction score
Man oh man THIS IS THE AWESOME!

Can't wait to place my order.

Last edited:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Except you have to lean forward to touch and use the tablet. Kind of pointless in a car since you will most likely unbuckle your belt to use it. Waste of $$ IMO.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I had one I'd have to teach my kids to drive at a young age, cause I'm playing :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Heywood

Reaction score
Except you have to lean forward to touch and use the tablet. Kind of pointless in a car since you will most likely unbuckle your belt to use it. Waste of $$ IMO.

Did you miss the memo? Soon Android will be touchless and respond to TT....ThoughtTouch

Aaron636r

Reaction score
Hey guys...im the sales manager for this company that is producing this piece. Very strong reviews so far on it at our show.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...im the sales manager for this company that is producing this piece. Very strong reviews so far on it at our show.

Glad to have you with us, and we look forward to future production :)

Aaron636r

Reaction score
Been on this forum for a while...just a quiet reader. These new headrest systems...when in full production come January it will be pretty cool stuff.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

If you READ the article, it states that it will have a remote accesory.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Been on this forum for a while...just a quiet reader. These new headrest systems...when in full production come January it will be pretty cool stuff.

Ahhh, can't see join dates from tapatalk...

...and it's reassuring to know we have the inside scoop :big smile:

Jonas

Reaction score
This makes me bummed I ride a motorcycle. But oh wait... I'm so much cooler on my motorcycle... But anyway, this looks like a great idea, and possibly a landmark in a new piece of technology in the automotive market. I expect if this product sells well to see the new bmw or mercedes of 2014 to have something like this as an option.

Eric18

Reaction score
pretty cool stuff!!!!!! can't wait for it to evolve in couple months/years!!!!!!!

ezizzle95

Reaction score
This makes me bummed I ride a motorcycle. But oh wait... I'm so much cooler on my motorcycle... But anyway, this looks like a great idea, and possibly a landmark in a new piece of technology in the automotive market. I expect if this product sells well to see the new bmw or mercedes of 2014 to have something like this as an option.

haha dude I thought by your picture you were some badass girl that rides motorcycles but then I read your signiture hahahahaha.