Vizio Android Tablet Available for Limited Pre-OrderShips Mid-July

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jul 1, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Vizio's intriguing little Android tablet just became available for pre-order on their website, for $400 bucks, not including tax and shipping. This is an 8-inch tablet with Gingerbread, a 16GB MicroSD card, and a folding folio case, included for that price. It also has a built-in HDMI port so you can check out games and videos on your big-screen TV if you feel so inclined. Any device that you pre-order today will begin shipping on July 18th. Below is a link to their website.

Vizio 8" Android Tablet, WiFI bundle

Source: AndroidTablets.net via Engadget
  2. Detonation

Detonation New Member

$400 for a Gingerbread tablet? No thank you.
  3. GrillMouster

GrillMouster New Member

Let's see...for $400 I coudl get a tablet running an old operating system that was not intended for tablets, from a company known for producing low-end television sets, and all that I've seen of this device is a crappy video in which it was laggy as hell.

Or

I could spend the same amount for a tablet running the latest operating sytem, has gotten good reviews, and manufactured by a company with a long history of producing computers and electronics.

Hmmm.
  4. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Well-Known Member

First, kudos to Vizio for venturing out into the land of the 3:2 aspect ratio, which I think is great for everything but one (watching widescreen movies). I'm sure the movie fanboys will chime in about that (but as I like to say, what's the aspect ratio of the lead-selling tablet?).

Second, come on Vizio--you're the low-price-leader on flatscreens--the least you could do is underprice Asus. $400? Try $299 and we'll talk.

Finally, .5-inch thick? That's so early-2011. Take a hint from that the gorgeous new Samsung Galaxy Tab, and go thinner.

-Matt
  5. GeLopez

GeLopez New Member

Oh man, do these companies do any type of price research? Ill stick with the Asus eee transformer
  6. GrillMouster

GrillMouster New Member

Totally agree. Widescreen is great for movies, but 90% of the time I'll use this thing it won't be watching movies. I'll be looking at still pictures more than watching movies, and since I rarely crop images 16:9, they look so much smaller on a wide screen. Images look so much bigger (and have bigger impact) on a standard aspect ratio screen.
  7. UNC

UNC New Member

"Its not great for movies, so I hate it and it's not allowed to be what YOU want!"

I would take it over the Asus, the Vizio does not have Honeycomb, so it is guaranteed to run better.
  8. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Well-Known Member