Visual Voicemail. . .memory hog?? Why? Delete Data?

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use (don't know why, but I do) Verizon's Visual Voicemail and noticed today that the app takes up 8.8MB of my phone's memory. Is this standard?

I see that if I go in through Applications > Manage Applications that I can clear almost 7.8MB of data, but what "data" is that? I have no saved VM messages, I have not set anything up within the application? Can I delete that data and recover some memory? What do I lose if I do that?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? It sure would be nice to have some memory back. . .especially with Angry Birds out on the market (did I say that out loud :) )

Thank you for any help.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Any reason you don't use Google Voice?

That being said, the 7.8MB of data might be cache.... You should be able to remove it and be OK. If not, you'll find out quickly and we'll work through it. The app, right after being installed, shouldnt have any of that cache, so it should be just fine it remove.

OP
C

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you - I will delete it and see what happens. Your logic about the size of the data/app right after install is very true and I hadn't thought of it that way. Appreciate the response.

UPDATE: I deleted the data and the size of the app went down to approximately 1mb. The only step I had to take when I opened VVM the first time was to establish the account (which it did automatically) and log back in.

Last edited:

spiller37

Reaction score
You should definitely give Google voice a try. It has many more features than Verizon and also has the bonus of not costing a monthly fee. Once you try it you will never use Verizon's voice mail service again.