Virus?

kwstumpf

Reaction score
Virus or Malware?

Is there a good software program or App designed to eliminate malware on the Droid, like Malwarebytes or Spybot S&D work for a PC?

Detonation

Reaction score
This won't solve anyone's problems, but it could help - GMail has a feature where you can look to see what IPs have been using your account recently. There is an option for an alert if google believes there is unusual activity with your account.

You can see the recent IPs by scrolling to the bottom of GMail (in a browser) and clicking the details link next to your IP. More info: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?ctx=gmail&answer=45938

kwstumpf

Reaction score
Virus or Malware?

That is one solution, but it is kind of reactive. Finding out that some hacker in China used my Gmail account to send out close to 100 embarrassing spam emails to all my professional contacts is not a good situation to be in. I would like to prevent it from happening again (third time).

I'm no Linux guru, in fact, a Linux newbie, but could I plug my Droid into the USB on my computer and run Malwarebytes against the Droid like it was an external hard drive?

Would it work / help? Or, would the app have to be specific to the Droid OS and version?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
That is one solution, but it is kind of reactive. Finding out that some hacker in China used my Gmail account to send out close to 100 embarrassing spam emails to all my professional contacts is not a good situation to be in. I would like to prevent it from happening again (third time).

I'm no Linux guru, in fact, a Linux newbie, but could I plug my Droid into the USB on my computer and run Malwarebytes against the Droid like it was an external hard drive?

Would it work / help? Or, would the app have to be specific to the Droid OS and version?

I do not believe it would work because windows and linux are based on different languages. I am not sure of apps for this because I have had no need for it. But you can try the app in the market called Lookout Mobile Security. I believe it is well known main stream app.

brando56894

Reaction score
Languages have nothing to do with it (believe it or not theyre actually written in similar languages, windows is (partially?) written in C++ while the majority of linux is written in C). The differences are the filesystems. Windows refuses to see anything other than NTFS and variations of the FAT format while the internal storage of the droid says rootfs (which i believe is either one of the forms of ext or its yaffs2). In short its not possible, even if you did obtain the filesystem drivers for windows it still wouldnt work correctly because windows scans exe's which arent used in linux.

Your only choice for virus scanners are the ones in the market (which essentially dont do anything anyway). It raises suspicions that it happened right after the verizon tech gave you the phone, maybe they had something to do with it?

Theoretically viruses could only spread on android if you give them permission or if your phone is rooted since by default the user only has read/write access to the SD card and apps only have access to /data. That app would also had to be sideloaded since google removes malicious apps from market quickly (as we saw previously).

As for the "phantom touches" the only time Ive seen it happen is when you use a third party charger and that causes it.

Last edited:

kwstumpf

Reaction score
Virus or Malware?

I didn't see the Verizon tech do anything abnormal. They unpacked the phone, put in the card and battery, and booted it. I signed into my Gmail and FB and they sync'd it. They did it all right in front of me. Other than that, they didn't do anything that I can remember...and I didn't download any apps.

After my Droid hosed-up and started spamming, I changed the password on my existing Gmail account, made a new Gmail account just to use with my Droid, changed the password on my FB account, reset my Droid, and re-sync'd to the new Gmail account and FB.

So, considering the pale offering of malware programs available on the current market, what are my options other than that?

Any suggestions?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This won't solve anyone's problems, but it could help - GMail has a feature where you can look to see what IPs have been using your account recently. There is an option for an alert if google believes there is unusual activity with your account.

You can see the recent IPs by scrolling to the bottom of GMail (in a browser) and clicking the details link next to your IP. More info: Last account activity - Gmail Help

Thanks for providing that link. I didn't know about that. I did get a message a few months ago that it looked like my account was hacked. It was flashing on my gmail page. I changed my pw and all was good.

I think the default for that warning is "on."

I didn't see the Verizon tech do anything abnormal. They unpacked the phone, put in the card and battery, and booted it. I signed into my Gmail and FB and they sync'd it. They did it all right in front of me. Other than that, they didn't do anything that I can remember...and I didn't download any apps.

After my Droid hosed-up and started spamming, I changed the password on my existing Gmail account, made a new Gmail account just to use with my Droid, changed the password on my FB account, reset my Droid, and re-sync'd to the new Gmail account and FB.

So, considering the pale offering of malware programs available on the current market, what are my options other than that?

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure that the spamming was any type of malware. I've seen many people post about the same thing. You know what the most common thing seems to be? Using a charger that wasn't a Motorola charger made for the phone. Now why that would cause this to happen I have no idea, but I've seen it enough to think there may be some truth to it.

On the other hand, I have been using my old Blackberry Storm's charger on both my D1 and D2. Never had an issue.

kwstumpf

Reaction score
Virus or Malware?

The charger is not the issue here, so I'm still a little puzzled. It hasn't been spamming since I set up the new Gmail, and changed the password on the old, but then again, there are no emails in my new Gmail account.

My Droid is sync'd to the new Gmail account.

Hmmmm...

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
The charger is not the issue here, so I'm still a little puzzled. It hasn't been spamming since I set up the new Gmail, and changed the password on the old, but then again, there are no emails in my new Gmail account.

My Droid is sync'd to the new Gmail account.

Hmmmm...

I think it had to do more with malware getting into your phone book on your gmail account from your computer. Android/linux doesn't typically have these problems and like said before will not unless authorized by the user. There is a pale offering of anit-virus/malware apps becuase they are not typically needed in android and tend to cause slow down and battery drain. Linux is not really virus prone. In the 10 years I have been using Mac (linux based) and 1 year I have been using Android (linux based) I have never seen a virus or have had malware infect my iMac, Droid or Nook Color. So if everything is ok now, I would not put any anti virus apps or auto tasker killer apps on your phone. Just check the permissions each app ask for when you go to install it. If it looks fishy, dont install it.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
However it is not the fact that the device is linux based that keeps it safe, rather in the macs case it is the smaller audience does not attract blackhats like windows does.
There are a lot of droids - enough to draw the attention of the bad men.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
However it is not the fact that the device is linux based that keeps it safe, rather in the macs case it is the smaller audience does not attract blackhats like windows does.
There are a lot of droids - enough to draw the attention of the bad men.

You make a good point

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Very interesting posts here. Just another reason to bang Verizon for locking in APPS that can't be deleted.