Virus Protection

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Crispy you don't need virus protection on your droid. As a matter of fact...it will most likely cause erratic behavior if you install one.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Pretty sure if you search around you'll find that it's not needed. I am by no means an expert and won't even attempt to explain why, but I remember reading several threads on this.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've not read of or found any reason to install virus protection.

Mike

gibby540

Reaction score
Maybe not now, but soon. One of the podcasts I listen to, Leo Laporte, recommends Lookout which scans downloads from the marketplace. You can set it to do just this, or scan your device for virus'. I have it set just to scan downloads because I really don't want it to run at all in the background.

J

Johnly

There is no desire for hackers to put a virus on your droid. No pay off. Not needed.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score

lkariher

Reaction score
There aren't enough android viruses for there to be a need for one, just like with all those other sayings the best virus protector is yourself, just don't download anything sketchy and don't download anything that promises something outrageous.

Reaction score

Bad headline. That's not a virus, that's a trojan.

If you go installing random software from untrusted sources, you can expect trouble and I don't think antivirus software is going to help you in the end.

Leo Laporte--I listen to his radio show sometimes. He's...trying real hard to be a geek but he's faking it.

True, but most people downloading from the Market or where ever, after they hit install, pay little attention to what system resources it is accessing. Understood the world is buyer beware but the general public pays little to no attention to what is going on.

As for anti virus (to the original poster), like others have said it will cause erratic behavior. My wife installed some from the market on hers and everything got all wonky until she removed it.