Virus Protection

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by festoooor, Feb 18, 2010.

1. festoooor

festoooor New Member

Would anyone suggest getting virus protection? I downloaded an anti-virus app but it seemed to lag my droid really bad. Any thoughts?
  2. dylanthecat

dylanthecat New Member

Lots of people have trouble with antivirus and poor performance. Not really needed.
  3. OldguyMark

OldguyMark New Member

I’ve been wondering about the same thing.

Is anti-virus not needed because of the Android OS, and like Macs, not as susceptible to attack as Microsoft junk?

It would be nice to know that I could go to my bank and all, without worrying about that stuff.

Thanks
  4. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

The hasn't been a Android Virus, Malicious Apps yea but no viruses..
  5. AnneDroid

AnneDroid Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

No anti-virus needed for the Droid. Many report that if they do run an AV app, it causes all kinds of issues with other apps.
  6. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

There's been many threads on this already. In a nutshell you don't need virus protection.
  7. OldguyMark

OldguyMark New Member

Thanks All -

Hook, yes I just did some searching ... should have done that first :wink:
  8. DAVPX

DAVPX New Member

Android is a Linux OS. Although there are viruses that exist that target Linux, they are very rare. It is unlikely that anyone would target a Linux OS these days, let alone a cell phone. Windows machines are simply easier and more popular to attack. Point being, it is possible for someone to code a virus for Android but the chances of being infected by it are slim to none.
  9. Moohoo

Moohoo New Member

May become victim of its own successful

I am concerned though, that crooks will start targeting Android OS when it gets to be popular.
  10. stanrc

stanrc New Member

Look at how popular the iPhone is, and how many viruses are there that target it. One? If you count the worm that spread through jailbroken iphones. Its going to be a long time before people start targeting android phones. And even then a smart user is the best defense.
  11. Sweettooth

Sweettooth New Member

Exactly, save the majority of your explorative browsing for your home computer and don't download apps without a comfortable number of other people having downloaded and commented on it first.
  12. kristain

kristain New Member

Re :

Can you please tell what type of antivirus are you using?
  13. R1Lover

R1Lover New Member

It's not needed ......
  14. dannydoes

dannydoes New Member

Sure, so what do you do about malicious apps then? I was surfing last night, clicked on a picture, next thing I knew the phone was downloading something, then the phone seemed to act on it's own. I yanked the battery and it's acting all fine now, but I'm concerned somebody could have access to passwords or be "listening" to my inputs. Any suggestions?
  15. PhoenixGTR

PhoenixGTR New Member

I was in the Verizon store and one of the employees was waiting for her replacement BB to arrive. ..what happened to the old one? A virus. Now, a BB isn't a Droid, but it still makes me tend to err on the side of caution. As more Droid phones come out thieves may well write malware for Droid. A free AV program was one of the first things I downloaded from the Market. I don't think it's lagging my Droid; going to test though using task killer.
    I'd like to see an anti-malware app for Droid that has the option to run only on demand.
  16. WeakChopper

WeakChopper New Member

I know this is a somewhat old thread now, but I had to reply to this.

I think you have to take what people at the Verizon stores say with a grain of salt. I was reading on another website someone complaining a Verizon salesperson told them their phone had a virus when it absolutely did not.
    When I was looking into buying an Incredible we asked about tethering and were told by a group of three salespeople that "tethering is absolutely included with the monthly data charge and works through an app that is included in the phone." As probably most of you know this could not be further from the truth.

I think we should remember when talking to salespeople that: 1) just about anyone can become a phone salesman and they don't know everything about every phone they sell. In some cases I noticed they seem to know very little to nothing about some of the models. It doesn't take any special training to sell phones. 2) They work on commissions. They live by getting you to buy things, so up to a point they'll tell you anything to get you to leave with something. They have a lot of add-on insurance and other stuff that they want to sell you and if you convince you that you should be really scared of viruses and things you're more likely to sign up for extra services. And if you bring a phone to them they can charge you for more things by telling you your phone has been destroyed by a virus and you need a replacement than they would by telling you the easy way to fix it and keep your current phone.
  17. DROIDurLooking4

DROIDurLooking4 New Member

Any device running a common OS (Win, *nix, MAC) is susceptible to virus infection. Smart phones have been proven to be nodes on bot networks as early as two years ago. Virus infections on smart phones can cause anything from loss of control of microphone and camera to use as a middle point in a malicious attempt and destruction of data.

To say AV is not necessary is simply taking a security through perceived obscurity....not a good idea.
  18. PhoenixGTR

PhoenixGTR New Member

As accurate as your assessment of Verizon salespeople may be, it is beside the point in this case. I already had my phone, plan, etc.; I was just there that day exchanging one accessory for another, and the girl with the allegedly virused phone was just another salesperson in the store whom I noticed cos she was waiting impatiently for fedex to deliver her replacement phone.
    I have no way of knowing if her phone really had a virus but I think these things are certainly possible even if not yet common, for the reasons DROIDurLooking4 has said. I've read the few AV programs in the Market can be problematic, though.I hope there are viable anti-malware apps out by the time the malware catches up, or preferably sooner.
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  19. PhoenixGTR

PhoenixGTR New Member

Here's something that works for the time being: when the Droid is connected to your PC, you can scan it with whatever AV program you use. That's something anyway.
Search tags for this page
android os - virus protection

android virus protection

android virus safety
android viruses gunmaster uf
best virus scan app for android
is virus protection needed for android phones
protect droid from virus
virus protection
virus protection for android phones
virus protection for droid phones
what good virus protection for droids