Virus Help, Wife's droid had a triangle in notification bar

1wired1

Reaction score
it said that her gmail wasn't signed in and prompted her to enter her password. she did even though her gmail was signed in and working fine. then her email started sending random emails to large groups of people from her address book.

any help or ideas?

Thanks
1w1

Juggernaut

Reaction score
Sounds like you were phished. I would suggest changing your gmail password now. Have you installed any apps lately?

OP

1wired1

Reaction score
Sounds like you were phished. I would suggest changing your gmail password now. Have you installed any apps lately?

I had her change passwords to everything she has.

not sure if she has installed any apps lately.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
1) change your password
2) try to track down the app that pulled this trick, uninstall it, and report it to google

Why don't you list all of your apps here so we can help track down the problem?

By the way, this isn't a virus, it's a phishing trojan.

Be careful what privileges you grant to an app when installing. Be careful what apps you put passwords into. Only install software from trusted sources--like not off some random web page.

OP

1wired1

Reaction score
I dont have her apps list yet, but she said she hasn't downloaded an app in about 4+ months.

cromo8

Reaction score
oh wow 4+ months, well hmm id definately would change passwords and backup all her apps with my backup im guessing she has no root access

if you do a factory reset deletes all apps and messages, alarm clock plus all other data, yes contacts too unless saved to google account

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, it is certainly possible that her droid isn't responsible for her account getting hacked. The usual way this happens is through a desktop/laptop computer's web browser. A page gets loaded that runs in the background and prompts the user for a password, an addon gets installed, a browser is not up to date, someone is using Internet Explorer...

Change the gmail password to something very hard to guess and hopefully the problem will be solved. You also should check that your security questions haven't been changed and that a filter hasn't been set up to forward email to the person who cracked her account.

cromo8

Reaction score
Well, it is certainly possible that her droid isn't responsible for her account getting hacked. The usual way this happens is through a desktop/laptop computer's web browser. someone is using Internet Explorer...

QUOTE]
I LOL'ed so hard at IE

but yes what aminaked said, and you should be fine

OP

1wired1

Reaction score
Well, it is certainly possible that her droid isn't responsible for her account getting hacked. The usual way this happens is through a desktop/laptop computer's web browser. A page gets loaded that runs in the background and prompts the user for a password, an addon gets installed, a browser is not up to date, someone is using Internet Explorer...

Change the gmail password to something very hard to guess and hopefully the problem will be solved. You also should check that your security questions haven't been changed and that a filter hasn't been set up to forward email to the person who cracked her account.

Thanks I'll make sure she checks those things. She does use IE so maybe it was through there.

Coolsaber57

Reaction score

Thanks I'll make sure she checks those things. She does use IE so maybe it was through there.

What most likely happened is a phishing attempt/virus on your computer and someone got her account details. Then they changed her password. That is why you see that she is no longer signed in, her password is now "incorrect".

OP

1wired1

Reaction score

What most likely happened is a phishing attempt/virus on your computer and someone got her account details. Then they changed her password. That is why you see that she is no longer signed in, her password is now "incorrect".

she was still signed in and her gmail was working fine and she could check emails. she said as soon as she entered her password she knew she shouldnt have.