Virtualbox/Linux

liquidzoo

Reaction score
I use VirtualBox with a Windows XP install to connect to my work, since nothing at work is compatible with Windows 7 (or Vista, for that matter).

What I'm curious about is if anyone has used this program to install Linux and use Linux to work with their Droid?

If so, are there any Linux distros, installed with VirtualBox, that recognize the Droid right away? If not with VirtualBox, any others that work like that?

In the past, I've used Mandriva (when it was Mandrake, for about 6 years), Sabayon (for about a year), and Gentoo (for about 4 years). Those are the ones that I've used for an extended period of time. There were others mixed in there, but those are the main ones.

I can use adb just fine with Windows, but there is a lot about bash that I miss when I'm working in a command line environment, and I'd like to get back to using it if I can.

OP
L

liquidzoo

Reaction score
For any that might want to know...

I've confirmed Sabayon works. You have to go to Devices > USB (on the VirtualBox window) and enable the Droid there, but I am able to read from it there. Trying Linux Mint (based on Ubuntu) next. If it works the same way, Ubuntu will too.

Just in case anyone has ~10G free space on a drive that they don't know what to do with and/or want to mess around with Linux but don't want to deal with the installation and bootloader. No chance of messing up your Windows install this way.