Viewsonic Android Pad Launches before Samsung Galaxy Tab?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by danDroid, Nov 2, 2010.

1. fishstick600

fishstick600 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Im going to pick one of these up on my way home... all in all is it decent? I would expect that it being new the software bugs will be worked out(thats assuming the support for it is half decent) How is the market on it?

2. ak68

ak68 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting one

My local Sears has 2 in stock so I have one on hold to pick up tomorrow. Great hardware and any software issues can be overcome with root and plain jane froyo.

3. JayMonster

JayMonster Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, to clear up some of the confusion.

The dual-booting device is the Viewsonic ViewPad. It runs Windows 7 and Android 1.6 on an Atom processor. This item is not out yet.

The device that is now available at Sears is the Viewsonic G Tablet. It sports a Tegra 2 processor and Android 2.2 but it is buried below the awful TapNTap interface which is sort of like the Droid dock app gone way wrong and "always on." Top it off with the fact that it appears to be running (or at least how websites see it)Safari as a browser (which may be in part why Flash isn't working).

The hardware specs on this thing is really good, but the implementation is so friggin' dreadful it defies description.

When I called ViewSonic tech support (twice), the rep that got on the phone had to "go track down *the* tablet they have for support. One! It appears that after just a couple of hours with the Tablet, I now know more about it than their support people.

Unfortunately, my machine seems to have had a "rogue" download... it ran an update to a later version of the TapnTap interface (that even the reps don't have), and with that "unreleased" version, it broke app installs (tells me, that for security my *PHONE* only allows installs from the market, which is funny since the market is not on the device). So now I can't even install LauncherPro or ADW to see if it improves things over TnT.

The part though that has me considering not waiting to hack this thing and just returning it is that Wi-Fi reception seems to be weak. I can sit in the same spot in my living room and have great reception with my Droid X, but barely register a connection on the G Tablet.

It really seems like Viewsonic had a shot at a really good Tablet (at least hardware wise), but totally biffed it by adding the TapnTap interface to it. If they had just gone with the stock UI and maybe added a couple of their own widgets (or a dock mode like the Droid for when you place the G Tablet in the optional dock) they could have had a hit. Instead they got a dud.

There is an update due for TapnTap that is due out the week of Thanksgiving, but I suspect it is not going to help enough to fix this.

4. rod

rod Member

Ratings:
    +2
    im going to be watching this thread like a hawk. i would be sold already if it werent for that tapntap interface. no notification bar? mega fail on veiwsonics part, imo. im drooling already thinking of a wireless tether with my droid while on the road with this tablet...

jaymonster- what thread are you watching where they are currently rooting, hacking this thing? once i see its possible to put 2.2, or 2.1 for that matter, ill be heading to sears.

5. JayMonster

JayMonster Member

Ratings:
    +1
    There is a thread where they have already rooted and added the market, Gmail and Maps to the Viewsonic over at XDA.

The Viewsonic G Tablet Super Thread (w/Market, Gmail, and Maps!) - xda-developers

It already has 2.2 on it (granted with that stupid TnT interface), so really I guess they just have to wait for Viewsonic to release the source and once that happens I am sure the custom ROMS will come.

6. rod

rod Member

Ratings:
    +2
    awesome jaymonster, thanks a ton! im bookmarking that and will check it out tomorrow. (unfortunately) i have a wedding to go to tonight, (fortunately) with an open bar reception, so thatll give me something to do tomorrow when the sun is too bright.

7. fishstick600

fishstick600 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I went out and bought a viewsonic and within the first hour of having it turned on had multiple force closes. It fixed itself for a while with a reset but would force close every app I opened soon after. Since I planned on returning it I decided to try and install some apks and attempt to root it but had it bricked sighing 3 hours of it being unboxed lol. Now I have a galaxy coming in the mail tomorrow and can't wait. !!!!!!!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

8. Mmracing

Mmracing Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one right after the came out and I'm loving it. I Travel quite a bit and wont have to lug around a heavy laptop. I mainly surf the web and use a few traveling apps and have not had any problems. Not having the market and flash is a let down but Viewsonic says this will be fixed soon.

Now if I could get my Droid 1 to wireless tether to it (adhoc wont work nor will Bluetooth) I would be in heaven. dancedroid

9. fishstick600

fishstick600 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I called their support and the guy told me that it would not be receiving the official android market which may have just been bad information. Ill be getting my galaxy in the next hour and I can't wait.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

10. Coolsaber57

Coolsaber57 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    FYI, you might want to look into the Folio's version of Flash, I heard it fixes it for the G tablet as well.

Also, they have CyanogenMod 6.1 booted on this tablet (which has the App Market).

Search tags for this page

viewsonicasv38r-03