Viewsonic Android Pad Launches before Samsung Galaxy Tab?

sn2hotty

Reaction score
I know this isn't really related to the tablet so I apologize, but I had to say this. SEARS?! I would never buy something like this from Sears! They are way overpriced! I would wait until Best Buy, Amazon, etc sells it- I'll bet you'll find it anywhere from $20 to $50 cheaper. Just my experience with Sears.

barcodelinux

Reaction score
I know this isn't really related to the tablet so I apologize, but I had to say this. SEARS?! I would never buy something like this from Sears! They are way overpriced! I would wait until Best Buy, Amazon, etc sells it- I'll bet you'll find it anywhere from $20 to $50 cheaper. Just my experience with Sears.

If you can find it anywhere else for the same price or cheaper, please let us know. I cant get one within 150 miles for another week and a half.

kamileon

Reaction score
Am I missing something? According to viewsonics website, this tablet is listed as a dual boot tablet with windows 7 and Android 1.6, there is no mention on their website about it being solely android 2.2.

Viewsonic ViewPad 10

barcodelinux

Reaction score
Am I missing something? According to viewsonics website, this tablet is listed as a dual boot tablet with windows 7 and Android 1.6, there is no mention on their website about it being solely android 2.2.

Viewsonic ViewPad 10

I noticed that a few minutes ago myself. But then again, the Viewsonic site says it had an Intel Atom processor in it, when Sears (and every review ive seen on it) says that it has an Nvidia Tegra.
I think Viewsonic just hasnt update their site in awhile.

Tesler32

Reaction score

Viewsonic ViewPad 10

I noticed that a few minutes ago myself. But then again, the Viewsonic site says it had an Intel Atom processor in it, when Sears (and every review ive seen on it) says that it has an Nvidia Tegra.
I think Viewsonic just hasnt update their site in awhile.

This is not the Viewpad 10 this is the Gtablet two different models the viewpad is which I believe a overseas unit.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
HTC Evolve Concept Tablet Runs Android, Packs an OLED Touchscreen

Here is a HTC Tablet being Worked on...

Let’s leave the Sony Ericsson and Nokia designs aside for a while and have a look at this superb HTC Evolve concept tablet, created by Timur Pinar. The device runs Android OS, comes with a stylus pen and an extra OLED touchscreen plus side pre-programmable buttons, for extra functions.
HTC Evolve features an Intel Atom CPU, a touchscreen display, 128GB SSD, 1.5GB of RAM memory, a custom skin for Android and compatibility with Chrome OS. On board of the concept tablet you’ll also find 2 USB 3.0 ports, a HDMI port and a 3.5mm audio jack on the right side.
You’ll find a camera and microphone embedded in the front bezel of Evolve, for video communication. Will Apple be able to match this design?

sn2hotty

Reaction score

If you can find it anywhere else for the same price or cheaper, please let us know. I cant get one within 150 miles for another week and a half.

Haven't seen it anywhere else yet, but if I do I will. I would also check J&R, for those of you here in NY.

browndanielusn

Reaction score
This is not my video, but I was researching this earlier today...

[video=youtube;aL1b109GB2c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL1b109GB2c[/video]

This is the actual tablet from sears unboxed and it should answer your questions on dual boot (Hint...there is no dual boot).

fishstick600

Reaction score
Im going to pick one of these up on my way home... all in all is it decent? I would expect that it being new the software bugs will be worked out(thats assuming the support for it is half decent) How is the market on it?

ak68

Reaction score
I'm getting one

My local Sears has 2 in stock so I have one on hold to pick up tomorrow. Great hardware and any software issues can be overcome with root and plain jane froyo.

JayMonster

Reaction score
Ok, to clear up some of the confusion.

The dual-booting device is the Viewsonic ViewPad. It runs Windows 7 and Android 1.6 on an Atom processor. This item is not out yet.

The device that is now available at Sears is the Viewsonic G Tablet. It sports a Tegra 2 processor and Android 2.2 but it is buried below the awful TapNTap interface which is sort of like the Droid dock app gone way wrong and "always on." Top it off with the fact that it appears to be running (or at least how websites see it)Safari as a browser (which may be in part why Flash isn't working).

The hardware specs on this thing is really good, but the implementation is so friggin' dreadful it defies description.

When I called ViewSonic tech support (twice), the rep that got on the phone had to "go track down *the* tablet they have for support. One! It appears that after just a couple of hours with the Tablet, I now know more about it than their support people.

Unfortunately, my machine seems to have had a "rogue" download... it ran an update to a later version of the TapnTap interface (that even the reps don't have), and with that "unreleased" version, it broke app installs (tells me, that for security my *PHONE* only allows installs from the market, which is funny since the market is not on the device). So now I can't even install LauncherPro or ADW to see if it improves things over TnT.

The part though that has me considering not waiting to hack this thing and just returning it is that Wi-Fi reception seems to be weak. I can sit in the same spot in my living room and have great reception with my Droid X, but barely register a connection on the G Tablet.

It really seems like Viewsonic had a shot at a really good Tablet (at least hardware wise), but totally biffed it by adding the TapnTap interface to it. If they had just gone with the stock UI and maybe added a couple of their own widgets (or a dock mode like the Droid for when you place the G Tablet in the optional dock) they could have had a hit. Instead they got a dud.

There is an update due for TapnTap that is due out the week of Thanksgiving, but I suspect it is not going to help enough to fix this.

rod

Reaction score
im going to be watching this thread like a hawk. i would be sold already if it werent for that tapntap interface. no notification bar? mega fail on veiwsonics part, imo. im drooling already thinking of a wireless tether with my droid while on the road with this tablet...

jaymonster- what thread are you watching where they are currently rooting, hacking this thing? once i see its possible to put 2.2, or 2.1 for that matter, ill be heading to sears.

rod

Reaction score
awesome jaymonster, thanks a ton! im bookmarking that and will check it out tomorrow. (unfortunately) i have a wedding to go to tonight, (fortunately) with an open bar reception, so thatll give me something to do tomorrow when the sun is too bright.