Video, Verizon & HTC Stink

Status
Not open for further replies.

slinky

Reaction score
The Thunderbolt has the ability to be a great phone. It's 4G. While it's not dual core, the speed is still very swift, the battery sucks but the extended battery lasts forever... we can solve many problems but NOT the crappy video quality of this phone which is downright unforgivable. I was quite upset to read about how Verizon & HTC let every consumer and reviewer think that there was 8GB of user accessible memory in this phone - or at least some reasonable amount of user accessible memory. The unfortunate truth is that there is ZERO GB of internal memory in this phone available for phone and camera functions - none. Unlike any other prior Android phone I owned, even the old ones, you cannot choose whatever internal memory you may have for video use.

People here kept insisting that the 32GB card supplied is fine, etc. and I told them it's not. I insisted that there is a reason why the iPhone and other phones have a large amount of internal memory and it's not just the rated speed of the card - it's also because it ensures a much smoother functioning of multimedia with internal memory.

I recently went on a trip and took some great pictures and video. This phone isn't a DSLR but the quality of the camera is downright great for what it is. The video came out choppy in various portions, where the 720p function would move smoothly for a few seconds, then stop/jump/skip and then repeat that problem every few seconds. It's not a major skip but enough to notice it and be disappointed as it's not something you have expected to see for a while. Some of you can claim it might be other apps, short system memory, etc. - I don't think so. I tried it with the stock phone and found that it did the same even without other apps installed. The write to the SD card is simply not nearly as smooth and buffering apparently doesn't seem to work as well as intended. I remember the same thing happened when I tried to write all my video to the SD Card on the Moto Droid 1. Recording to the internal memory is much better. The fact is that you can't even use the camera app to use whatever memory you have on your phone -- HTC/Verizon intended this phone to be SD Card only, a major, major step back.

On my trip I was surprised to find that Verizon still hasn't cared to update its MyVerizon app to be compatible with its flagship Android phone. It really makes me wonder what their commitment is towards any phone or product that doesn't begin with the letter "i". Shame on them.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not sure how much you have searched. There is a working my Verizon and I've posted it before.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

badbeat33

Reaction score
Yakitori do u have the name of the thread where u mention the working my Verizon? I searched for it and even searched for posts submitted by u but couldn't find it

badbeat33

Reaction score
Thanks partner. Much appreciated!

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
Not sure how much you have searched. There is a working my Verizon and I've posted it before.
Thanks - but that's not the point at all. Why are users being forced to hack Verizon's own software - because a multi-billion dollar company can't seem to bother to make even the smallest of efforts with regard to its own application? It's very hard to believe.

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
Thanks - but that's not the point at all. Why are users being forced to hack Verizon's own software - because a multi-billion dollar company can't seem to bother to make even the smallest of efforts with regard to its own application? It's very hard to believe.

I honestly think we're all beta testing lte for verizon, thats why these companies haven't put a great deal of R&D on this first round of lte devices.

dark juggalo

Reaction score
I have to agree...while its a great phone,the more I read and do with it I get the impression it was rushed into production and wasnt tested near as much as it should have been..then verizon pushed it on us without a backbone of support for it.
I shouldnt have had to root it to make it the phone it was meant to be.

jr313

Reaction score
I shouldnt have had to root it to make it the phone it was meant to be.[/QUOTE]

Very true but what phone have you had that you didnt root it in order for it to be the phone it should be right out of the gate? (android wise) By the looks of your signature there hasnt been one, we all do the same thing in order to get improvements on the phones we buy to make run much better than we get them out of the box.

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
The tbolt users sure do seem to either love it or hate it...not much in between. I think some love it to justify their purchase but there just seem to be way too many issues with it overall. Sad for big reds king of the mountain device.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have to agree...while its a great phone,the more I read and do with it I get the impression it was rushed into production and wasnt tested near as much as it should have been..then verizon pushed it on us without a backbone of support for it.
I shouldnt have had to root it to make it the phone it was meant to be.
Go look at the pre-release threads for the TB. There were at least two of them and one got shut down after over 200 pages of mostly people complaining that the release dates kept getting pushed back. People were in here fighting, getting accounts suspended for name calling each other, and all sorts of stupid childish things. All because they wanted the TB and they wanted it YESTERDAY. Well, I also believe the TB was released prematurely but probably because of the pressure from consumers and possibly HTC. From working in the past for VZW, I can tell you the last thing they want to do is prematurely push a phone out the door. In this case I believe it was, now we're getting the backlash that HTC and VZW both suck because they didn't take their time with getting the bugs worked out.

To the O.P. - I take several videos with my TB and I have not had any issues at all. I'm rooted and using dasBAMF.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Users are not FORCED to hack. Look people...stop blowing the whole thing out of proportion. A single ota caused reboots for some customers. Not everyone has them...its not a conspiracy.

For those with reboots...you don't have to hack. You can install the official ruu update that has been posted many times. No u don't need root to do it. Improves battery life and stops reboots if u have them. Why are you people still complaining.

Nothing is more irritating than some willfully ignorant person that continues to whine and be part of the problem instead of learning and helping be part of the solution.
U have the opportunity to get the update a week or two early. If u chose to wait for the ota then stop whining. All that energy and time yall are putting into bickering and moaning about VZW and HTC and won't even take the 20-30 minutes to flash the damn update and sign in your Google account and restore apps; its beyond me.

Jfc people. If I were to guess id say there are a lot of children on this board. It's like griping is more fun to u than fixing something

ridin the lightning

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

1. It's not a hack. It's a previous version. If u notice the market will suggest u update.

2. The latest market version was released before the tbolt I believe.

3. The app works so get over it. If you don't like development and progress and being contributing part of it...don't buy bleeding edge technology. Go with something simple and OS exclusive operation that's incompatible with other software....and get used to using itunes

ridin the lightning

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Compared to other phones I've seen and used, the Bolt is definitely a beta-testing device. One doesn't have to look very hard for proof of this... 4G being down for a day now and then, the restart issues, insanely poor battery life unless you root, etc... There's a reason why there aren't a ton of 4G phones out there. Ever wonder why the iPhone isn't 4G yet? Because the technology isn't there yet.

That said, with Das BAMF 2.0 P5 as of today - I'm loving this phone. I ran Das BAMF Senseless 1.7 for a while and easily got 24 hours of usage out of my phone. Once you root, these phones are very acceptable.

But the OP is right. HTC and Verizon should be ashamed when developers like Adrynalyne have to clean up HTC's/Verizon's to make a device like this usable imo.

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
1. It's not a hack. It's a previous version. If u notice the market will suggest u update.
If it's not a hack, then this makes the entire issue even more pathetic. So many of us wasted the last 3 months without this important billing app because nobody at Verizon could add the previous version to the market for T-Bolt users? That's all they had to do?

2. The latest market version was released before the tbolt I believe.
Irrelevant. When I got mine there was no version in the Market. It's pathetic that VZW felt it wasn't important enough to have a $10 an hour employee upload it and spend 15 minutes doing so. We can't do it. There is something called copyright which likely prevents anyone from legally distributing the app too.

3. The app works so get over it. If you don't like development and progress and being contributing part of it...don't buy bleeding edge technology. Go with something simple and OS exclusive operation that's incompatible with other software....and get used to using itunes
ridin the lightning
Stop being ridiculous and don't you tell me what to do - or anyone else here. If I spend thousands of dollars and must sign a one year contract I sure as heck have the right to expect that Verizon update its own billing application in some timely fashion. I'm glad that time is worth nothing for you so that you could spend hours, days, whatever, looking for answers while most of us would expect to see it come up in a search in the Android Market - end of story.

If you don't like it, I suggest you divert your eyes away from people's comments who are discussing legitimate gripes.

Status
Not open for further replies.