[Video] the Kodak Zi8 reviewed

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Hey all,

some weeks ago an anonymous sponsor buyed me a Kodak Zi8 and i wanted to thank HIM for it, with this little review!
Some videos where done by a good pal of mine, Renè from MOBIFLIP He helped me out cuz i didnt have time to take any videos with it so far and he has the Same cam!

To say it right in front, im no camera pro. i just needed something i can do my reviews with, and that is not too large and not too expensive! Thats why i took a shot at the Kodak Zi8

See the unboxing here:

[video=youtube;X52m0noRf-I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X52m0noRf-I"]YouTube - Unboxing KODAK Zi8 Pocket-Videokamera by mobiFlip.de HD[/video]
(Video by Renè)

After havin it for some day, i found the following facts. The Zi8 does NOT have an optical Zoom, which sometimes make it difficould to get a sharp and clear video. BUT it has an AMAZING makro-mode, shooting FULL HD VIDEOs at 15cm fokus. That is quite close.the cam offers recording in 1080p/30frames 720p/30frames and 720p/60frames which is really good if the cam is movin during recording. The camera itself is only of use, when you have enough light! that is a little minus to it. Its really hungry for good daylight. But if you got some spotlight on what you are recording, its just GREAT!

Watch the amazing makro mode here:
[video=youtube;In1z1S2siho]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In1z1S2siho&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Kodak Zi8 Beispiel-Film Makro mobiFlip.de HD[/video]
(Video by Renè)

Another cool feature, that NO OTHER camera has at this size and price, is the feature that you can adapt an external microphone to it, so that you can record sound directly from your DROID for example. Renè shoot one like it here:

[video=youtube;xdDsQ2FONm4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdDsQ2FONm4&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles (Free) Palm Pre by mobiFlip.de HD[/video]
(Video by Renè)

There is a possibility to install Kodak software to transfer the video footage directly to your PC, but the cam has also a built-in USB Cable to attach it to the PC. With a fully charged battery and a 16GB sd-card you can shoot a 2hrs movie in 1080p, which really is AMAZING. Also a firmware update to update the Image stabilisor is really easy to make. A very calm hand is really of use when dealing with this camera. Fast movement is not really the strong side of it. Also taking PICTURES won get the best out of it, i am still using another camera to make fotos. But all in all, having a digitla full HD poket camera for a real good price is worth something ;)

Here are some of MY videos with that cam:

www.youtube.com/droidforums

THANK YOU for that little gift ;)

Tigger

Last edited:

ricepuddin

Reaction score
Could you play with it for a few months and then do another review? When i use to sell cameras, Kodaks biggest down fall was their longevity and i am curious to how this one holds up.

Great review:pint: (we need a thumbs ups smiley)

OP
RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Could you play with it for a few months and then do another review? When i use to sell cameras, Kodaks biggest down fall was their longevity and i am curious to how this one holds up.

ase you saw, i own it since 11th of february....which is nearly a month....and it lasts! it is not getting worse or anyting!

ricepuddin

Reaction score

ase you saw, i own it since 11th of february....which is nearly a month....and it lasts! it is not getting worse or anyting!

Did not even notice the time stamp, chalk it up to posting as soon as you wake up.

i was however impressed with the video quality much better then the FlipHD or any other small camcorder. Will make a great Kill cam for the car guys here (safely at the track of coarse:icon_ banana:)