Video Recording stutters and smears...

OP
D

deere_x475guy

Reaction score
Mine was replaced yesterday and the new one worked fine until I put about 4 gigs of music on the external. If I erase it then video will save fine to it. Note, the one I replaced did it one both storage areas and they were empty.

theguru1974

Reaction score
Happening to me too. I switched the storage location to internal and the next video recorded much better. Does anyone know what the speed (class) of the included SD card is? Maybe it's just not fast enough.

Eric

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Happening to me too. I switched the storage location to internal and the next video recorded much better. Does anyone know what the speed (class) of the included SD card is? Maybe it's just not fast enough.

Eric

Doubt that card speed is the issue...folks have been using class 2 cards in all kinds of Droids (including DX1s) w/out issue to record video.

Dapipminmonkey

Reaction score
Just came over to this thread looking for solutions for one of my users.

I found a post on the Motorola site that users were mentioning they got their video to stop being so choppy...

Correct AnswerDroid X2 video recording and playback choppy
Verizon sent me a new card and it.fixed my video problems...they were the same as yours.

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/406476

Others said switching to saving to internal memory worked as well... dancedroid

Just wanted to make sure someone could find a good answer and not a "dead thread" :)

masters

Reaction score

Eric

Doubt that card speed is the issue...folks have been using class 2 cards in all kinds of Droids (including DX1s) w/out issue to record video.

Speed of the cards do matter, the higher quality video requires more speed to save it.. Switch to using internal memory (or class 6 or higher) and you'll notice the improvement..

Older droids had lower quality video..

The class of the SD Card also will have an impact on how fast apps saved to SD run.. X2 is fast but like a fast pc with a slow Drive, it matters...

zentech

Reaction score
Are people still having these recording issues? I just picked up an X2 and have the video issue when recording both to internal and external, although the issue is much more profound when recording to the external SD card.

rebooting the phone before taking video seems to help a lot as well.

I tested another Droid X2 and found it to have the same stuttering issues when recording. This is most definitely a memory handling issue that's software related...but how to fix it is the key. I've also heard complaints from Droid 3 users.

Heywood

Reaction score
I've noticed it as well and by going through all my videos apparently it didn't start until after the last big update. That's a shame because latest update really made our X2's rock solid in every other way. I noticed the other day while filming some pumpkin carving festivities that stuttering wasn't the issue but it was almost as if it was running a one ans half times speed

zentech

Reaction score
I've noticed it as well and by going through all my videos apparently it didn't start until after the last big update. That's a shame because latest update really made our X2's rock solid in every other way. I noticed the other day while filming some pumpkin carving festivities that stuttering wasn't the issue but it was almost as if it was running a one ans half times speed

I think it's a solid phone too, other than the video recording and the weird ghosting of certain colors on the qHD screen. I never had it before the latest update. So things were a little smoother before the 2.3.4 update, eh?

That's such a shame. I guess I'll stick with using a separate camcorder to record important things.

cyber3dx

Reaction score
My D3 is having the same issues. That damn OS update. I had just bought an HDMI cable and watching videos on the big screen from the D3 was absolutely fantastic - smooth, high res, great sound ... then all of a sudden it started to stutter after the update. Hard boot helps but only rarely. Tried the same video on int and ext storage and no difference.

Insidious

Reaction score
I am having terrible video recording results.
1. Stutters and Smears during recording and is evident in playback
If I reboot the phone and record right away its fine.

Is anyone else having this issue?
My moms does this at well. It's very annoying!