Video question

drob07

Reaction score
Just got a Droid X, never had a smart phone before, so I'm definitely a noob. I know the X has the HDMI port to watch home movies on my tv, but can I use this for youtube? I'd love to be able to somehow play youtube on my 50 inch tv using my phone.

Any help is appreciated

jnoffke

Reaction score
I also have the same question... and to add to this what all can u do with a hdmi cable... can u play games on the tv also like angry birds? Or is this only a video feature? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I wanted to know.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

setlab

Reaction score
I saw a youtube vedio and it looked like everything on the phone screen was also displaid on the tv when using the hdmi cable.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

J

Johnly

There is some good hacks for that. Sorry, to tired to search for you....

the5barrons

Reaction score
In order to fully use all of the hdmi function, other than simple video playback, you'll need to be rooted and have an app called realhdmi.

Swyped while being lazy in the DXForumApp

OP
D

drob07

Reaction score
In order to fully use all of the hdmi function, other than simple video playback, you'll need to be rooted and have an app called realhdmi.

What do you mean by "fully use all of the hdmi function?" I'm not worried about a whole lot else other than being able to watch youtube on my tv. Are you saying I can do this?

the5barrons

Reaction score

What do you mean by "fully use all of the hdmi function?" I'm not worried about a whole lot else other than being able to watch youtube on my tv. Are you saying I can do this?

An unrooted dx can view pics and video on the phone. Getting videos on your sd card wouldn't be an issue. Watching youtube and flash sites to your tv via hdmi require you to be rooted and running realhdmi.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Unless it has changed in the last few days, the Dev who created and released RealHDMI removed it from the Market and said he wouldnt re-release it until he had a couple issues worked out. If you find anything now, it is probably an older .apk file of the app...just FYI.

Guitar4Him

Reaction score
It has been pulled from the market (apparently for improvement of the program) so you can't get it right now. I managed to snag a copy before he pulled it. Once you figure out how to get the pivot function working it's a great little app. For everyone's sake, I hope he puts it back on the market.

BTW....you don't have to be rooted to use it.

Ken
Droid X

the5barrons

Reaction score
It has been pulled from the market (apparently for improvement of the program) so you can't get it right now. I managed to snag a copy before he pulled it. Once you figure out how to get the pivot function working it's a great little app. For everyone's sake, I hope he puts it back on the market.

BTW....you don't have to be rooted to use it.

Ken
Droid X

Thanks for the assist. I never downloaded it cause I didn't like the fact that once you had it running, you had to guess where you were putting your finger down in relation to the screen you were attached to. Once that is worked out, I'll buy it.

JWDX

Reaction score
Not knowing a lot about the video capabilities and seeing what can and can't be done with video from info on this post, I feel cheated. Anything that's shown on the DX screen should also be viewable over the HDMI on a TV or computer without any special this or special that.
What a bummer!!

ltmcgill

Reaction score
I would suggest downloading the TubeMate app and that gives you the option to download any Youtube videos even in HD. Download the 1280X720P version of the file and it will playback in the built in media player which is what will work for your HDMI output. The quality is surprisingly good. A lot better than viewing through the Youtube app.
Download it here:
http://www.androidzoom.com/web/indice/qrLink?appCode=mltf&dwnId=7589720
Or from the Market

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score
Not knowing a lot about the video capabilities and seeing what can and can't be done with video from info on this post, I feel cheated. Anything that's shown on the DX screen should also be viewable over the HDMI on a TV or computer without any special this or special that.
What a bummer!!

i personally dont because i would not want to view my phones screens on my hdtv. it would look funny to me and plus it sounds kinda stupid anyways you would have to have at least a 20 foot cable to comfortably use it and well you are going to be looking at your phone most of the time because you wont really know where you finger is in relation to the screen on the tv. they thought this out before so they just made it where you can either view videos or do a slideshow, like a camera.