1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Video playback issue

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by warren, May 22, 2010.

1. warren

warren New Member

My Droid is giving me fits when it comes to playing video. Some will not play at all ("sorry, this video cannot be played"), some play sound with no video and some will play just fine.

What am I missing?
  2. spiceditup

spiceditup New Member

Which media player are you using? Act 1 (.mp4) or YXflash (.avi)?
  3. Taegost

Taegost New Member

It might be encoded with an incompatible codec too... I'm not sure which ones the phones can use, I know they exist only because my... <ahem> Home videos were encoded with a codec that is no longer used and is a PITA to find ;)
  4. warren

warren New Member

I'm no Droid wiz, OK? :)

I am trying to play them through astro and I don't see a stand alone video player. The phone is bone stock, Android 2.1. I just assumed that there was a native video player in the phone. Perhaps I am wrong there?

thanks for the responses, by the way.:)
  5. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

What type of video is it?
    You can use SUPER © or DVDCatalyst to make compatible 720x480 mp4's that'd play on the Droid... and use the free NSW media player...
  6. warren

warren New Member

they are just .wmv videos....that's what has me puzzled....they aren't anything exotic.
  7. Mbk

Haven't tried WMVs, but where did you get the WMV?...downloaded?
    What is the resolution?
  8. warren

warren New Member

Yeah...just various videos I have saved from emails and such over the years.

It's not a huge deal but I would like to be able to play them on the phone....
  9. Mbk

You could use the free program SUPER © or DVDCatalyst Free to convert those WMVs to mp4's... should then play with no problems
  10. freeflysage

freeflysage New Member

I'm having the exact same issue. Audio and no video on files that played fine on my stock and cyanogen roms. Problem is new to my Froyo rom's now.
  11. dwoid

dwoid New Member

Yup... I've seen this with every Froyo ROM I've tried (just about all of them so far). I'm running "Virgin" FRF84B with the same results... WMV files won't play, I'm also guessing it's a codec issue. "Virgin" FRF84B is pretty clean other than that.

Has anyone seen the spec for Froyo's Gallery and the underlying support?
  12. dwoid

dwoid New Member

I can add some information to this now. I've tested just about every Froyo ROM out there in various forms and this seems to be a consistant issue in all of them (or at least was at the time I did these tests).

I've tested with relatively large video files now, both .WMV files and files converted from .WMV to .AVI and to .3GP, all which used to be pretty native video files in Gallery for Android. These used to work properly with 2.0.1 and 2.1... For the converted files I chose .AVI because it is so common, and .3GP because it is the file format that the Froyo video camera uses.

What now happens is with both the large .AVI and the large .3GP converted files, is about a minute after booting, Gallery goes through the file system looking for media files and encounters these. It gets hung up with them, probably either because of missing codecs or because of size... And then the Droid freezes up or heats up and goes into boot loops. I've test this a number of times now and this is the consistent result.

Native large .WMV files, which also used to work properly under 2.0.1 and 2.1, now report with the "O Cannot play video ; Sorry, this video cannot be played" message.

While I totally love FRF84B, both the Virgin version and the ROM version (and I'm going to stay with it), in my opinion Gallery is pretty unusable for watching large videos as it currently is implemented in this build. For this reason I seriously doubt if this is the last Froyo release candidate. Gallery and its video support are important enough features in Android that it's going to have to be fixed before Froyo goes out as an OTA.
Search tags for this page
droid 4 sorry this video cannot be played
droid razr m video can not be played
droid sorry this video cannot be played
htc incredible sorry video cannot be played
motorola razr m message sorry this video cannot be played
razr sorry video cannot be played
sorry this veido cannot be played moto droid

sorry this video cannot be played droid

sorry this video cannot be played motorola razr
video cannot be played on droid 4
video playback issue motorola razr