Video on the droid

ruinah

Reaction score
I like watching tv shows and stuff and thought I'd pass this along. It was on lifehacker.com today as a story. Software is called Miro Video converter. It has a preset just for Droid. I converted an .avi (xvid I think it was) to the Droid format, copied to SD card and it plays beautifully with good frame rates. I will be using this from now on because it was fast and it's free too. Browsed to the file using Astro and it opened right away. Played full screen, no black bars. What I really liked about this is the fact I didn't need to think about anything like resolution, bitrates, etc. Just drag the file over and select Droid and off it goes.

Miro Video Converter - Free! Convert any video to MP4, OGG Theora, iPhone, Android, iPod, and more, based on FFMPEG.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
great find.. i was looking for something like this

how long did it take you to convert (and for what video size)

OP
ruinah

ruinah

Reaction score
great find.. i was looking for something like this

how long did it take you to convert (and for what video size)

less than 10 minutes. Video was a 50 minute tv show with no commercials. Original file was about 360MB. Droid conversion was more like 450MB. I didn't check to see if it was multithreaded or not. It went so fast I assumed it was too good to be true but it worked great. I just know people have had a lot of issues getting video working on this awesome device so I fugured I'd share the knowledge I read today as it will be great for me and my use of the device from now on. Plug in earphones and watch part of a movie or tv show while waiting for the doctor, or at the airport.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
thanks for the info - deff worth using. clean UI on miro?

JoeKacz

Reaction score
Saw this as well. Video looks great, but the audio sounds horrible. Like 24kbps horrible. Anyone know of a way to adjust the presets?

Also, what video players does everyone use? Any suggestions besides the built in viewer?

drewfuss

Reaction score
i must have missed the memo on me not being able to do anything with video easy.

i just saw this app on Gizmodo and thought i better check it out. #epicfail
i took a plain jane mp4 that was coded by handbrake into the ipod legacy which works fine on the droid, but the screen is not full...the video was 1.9gb before the Miro "magic" took place. After a long hour and half wait..I now have a Droid ready 2.57gb file....and to make it all better after loading on to the droid i get the ever so often seen "sorry, this video cannot be played"....

i am going to try it one more time with a smaller file and hope for better results. but i am confused on how it was able to enlarge the file and why in the world would it do it anyways!

thanks for letting me rant..