[VIDEO] Liquipel's Patent Pending Waterproof Coating Stuns at CTIA 2012

xtor

Reaction score
They should sale this to auto windshield makers, you wouldn't need wipers anymore, it looks like it would work better then rain x, or even on swim wear, or or your clothing, no more rain jackets, the applications are endless, can i by stock in the company?

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Guess it's a possibility. If car manufacturers could batch process a large number of windshields at a time without having to add any extra time to manufacturing then it could definitely happen soon. Or a company like Safe Lite who does windshield replacement could add this as a selling point of choosing them if you have a destroyed windshield. Yeah, one of these companies might be worth buying stock in.

geoff5093

Reaction score
The problem I see is with durability. They say it will last a lifetime, but with all the plugging/unplugging, scratches from everyday use, etc., I find it hard to believe it will still be as waterproof as they show in the video months later.

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
If there was a retail store in my area, I'd go have my phone done this weekend! I couldn't go phone-less for a week though, so mailing it isn't a viable option for me.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
The problem I see is with durability. They say it will last a lifetime, but with all the plugging/unplugging, scratches from everyday use, etc., I find it hard to believe it will still be as waterproof as they show in the video months later.
It becomes part of the molecular make-up of the handset. It's not like a coating per se.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's definitely a coating that is physically bonded to the surfaces of the device, no different than the treatment used over gore tex to increase water resistance. If the liquipel fluid actually became a part of the phone, which could only happen if you broke and reformed the bonds holding all the materials together, it would completely change the properties of all the materials making the phone up. No pressure vat is going to make all that happen and give you a usable end product.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
It's definitely a coating that is physically bonded to the surfaces of the device, no different than the treatment used over gore tex to increase water resistance. If the liquipel fluid actually became a part of the phone, which could only happen if you broke and reformed the bonds holding all the materials together, it would completely change the properties of all the materials making the phone up. No pressure vat is going to make all that happen and give you a usable end product.

Which is why I'd prefer to see this in a breathable form applicable to oh say...My OR Mithril jacket or my beefier Patagonia powder bowl jacket. It'd eliminate a lot of issues of having to reapply revivex after each season/month, depending on usage, and generate a lot of revenue for these folks. Sure, the waterproof membrane(DryQ/GoreTex/MemBrain/H2No/whatever, I've used them all) is there, but it doesn't breath without DWR keeping water off the face fabric. If they really say it lasts a lifetime, then it probably translates to a good 2-4 years of hard wear between re-application on outdoor gear. Even at $40-50 a bottle, it's still cheaper than spending $60+ in the same time on revivex.

Apologies for the wall of text, but I think this stuff could be better used in a different industry.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't say that I loved having to spray down and tumble dry all my outerwear after every few uses when I went boarding. There actually is a substance similar to this that is used by the British military, specifically SAS I think, for some of their gear but last I saw it was ridiculously expensive, though this may be the evolution of what the guy responsible for that product made back then. I know at the time they were talking about using it to make spill proof shirts and slacks eventually.

Regardless, there are a lot of great applications for this over time if it's durable. Forget just windshields, you could coat an entire car with this if you found a way to include it in the painting process, make even better stain proof garage floors, carpets, whatever. There are a ridiculous number of possibilities depending on the exact properties of this stuff.

TechJohn

Reaction score
Check out the P2i site you can find out more about the coating, durability etc... While i was there i also saw they had another technology for footwear and hats by the look of it that talks about breathability as well so looks like similar coatings are being used in other industries. Think having the coating applied during manufacturing is the way to go as pretty sure sending in to get coated afterwards would void the warranty.

smacula

Reaction score
It is interesting that in the video, the guy mentioned waterproof but the guy from Liquipel did not use that word. He did not negate either, which is a dangerous thing in my eyes.

My main concern is about about electrical contacts like charging/usb port as well the headphone socket. Does liquipel work there?

I have also looked at the P2i website. They do seem offer wearable breathable technology, and seem to work on both gadgets as well as clothing. Hopefully this technology can become a norm in modern life!

xxwabbit

Reaction score
I would like to see this in hearing aids. BTEs are so sensitive to sweat which is a big factor in the breakdown of the aids.

TechJohn

Reaction score
I would like to see this in hearing aids. BTEs are so sensitive to sweat which is a big factor in the breakdown of the aids.

Don't want to come across as if promoting one technology but from looking through the P2i site (news section) it appears that they have a coating that is already being applied to millions of hearing aids as well. Could be the same as what is/will be used on devices...

sag47

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with apple and they claim it voids your warranty if you have any work done to your phone by anyone other than apple. They then proceeded to recommend getting the AppleCare+ for the iPhone.

AppleCare+ for iPhone - Apple Store (U.S.)

Which, in a nutshell, costs $100 and if you need a phone replacement will cost you an additional $50 (up to two replacements). Phone repairs do not count as a replacement. Also, theft or loss is not covered by their plan. AppleCare+ must be purchased within 30 days of your initial iPhone purchase or it will not be available.

So who knows which is really worth it. $50 for a waterproof coating that will "void the warranty" (who knows if they can actually tell) or pay for the protection plan.

I would say that anyone who wishes to protect their phone who is outside of the 30 day window would be worth it but I would probably opt for the protection plan personally.

SAM

xm1

Reaction score
so it insulates your phone against water. what does that do for heat disapation? my phone gets really hot sometimes. i would think this would make it harder to stay cool.

smacula

Reaction score
electrical contact vs electrical protection?

Sam, that is very useful. Thanks for checking that!

Xm1, you make a fair point too.

Recently I have been wondering, if the electrical contacts work, doesn't that mean that the coating is not doing anything at all?