[VIDEO] Liquipel's Patent Pending Waterproof Coating Stuns at CTIA 2012

Discussion in 'Android News' started by cereal killer, May 11, 2012.

1. xxwabbit

xxwabbit Member

I would like to see this in hearing aids. BTEs are so sensitive to sweat which is a big factor in the breakdown of the aids.
  2. TechJohn

TechJohn New Member

Don't want to come across as if promoting one technology but from looking through the P2i site (news section) it appears that they have a coating that is already being applied to millions of hearing aids as well. Could be the same as what is/will be used on devices...
  3. sag47

sag47 New Member

Just got off the phone with apple and they claim it voids your warranty if you have any work done to your phone by anyone other than apple. They then proceeded to recommend getting the AppleCare+ for the iPhone.

AppleCare+ for iPhone - Apple Store (U.S.)

Which, in a nutshell, costs $100 and if you need a phone replacement will cost you an additional $50 (up to two replacements). Phone repairs do not count as a replacement. Also, theft or loss is not covered by their plan. AppleCare+ must be purchased within 30 days of your initial iPhone purchase or it will not be available.

So who knows which is really worth it. $50 for a waterproof coating that will "void the warranty" (who knows if they can actually tell) or pay for the protection plan.

I would say that anyone who wishes to protect their phone who is outside of the 30 day window would be worth it but I would probably opt for the protection plan personally.

SAM
  4. xm1

xm1 New Member

so it insulates your phone against water. what does that do for heat disapation? my phone gets really hot sometimes. i would think this would make it harder to stay cool.
  5. smacula

smacula New Member

electrical contact vs electrical protection?

Sam, that is very useful. Thanks for checking that!

Xm1, you make a fair point too.

Recently I have been wondering, if the electrical contacts work, doesn't that mean that the coating is not doing anything at all?
  6. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Well-Known Member

If you've watched any of the videos you'd know that the coating is clearly doing its job. The ability to repel liquid and the ability to allow current to pass through a medium are not related in the ways you think. Coat your hand in this and your hand won't get wet; grab a live wire with only this same microscopic barrier between your hand and the current and I assure you the electricity will still pass into your body with ease. Odds are that the coating is non-polar so it resists water easily, but one, as it is so thin, and two, as most of the electrical circuits on the device have adhesive/sealant around their contacts and nothing would actually penetrate those specific areas anyway, there seems no reason why this wouldn't work as advertised.
  7. smacula

smacula New Member

I am not questioning the coating,but wondering at the science behind the process . I know that the coating would prevent water damage such as oxidation. However, if the conduction works, we know that water conducts better than air. Perhaps this is why the devices in the few videos that show the failure have failed. Of course I can only speculate, and definitely accept the fact that I probably am missing the obvious.
  8. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Well-Known Member

It would prevent oxidation, yes, but that is a long-term process. It protects the phone from water permiating the electronics and shorting the phone out. As mentioned earlier in the thread, it does the same thing as the water repellants that you spray over outerwear before going snowboarding, etc. That's about as simple as I know how to make it. You can see it working as advertised on the video. The RAZR has a similar process applied, though it does not seem to be as thorough as this one.
  9. sag47

sag47 New Member

The coating on the phone is hydrophobic. Water in it's purest form isn't conductive. It is the impurities in water which make it conductive (here's a small video explanation if that's easier). In all likely hood, when you drop your phone in water you're not dropping it in distilled water but in water with impurities. This would imply that the product creates an insulating barrier large enough to resist electricity jumping from the board into the water and back.

With the former explanation out of the way I'll elaborate on what I said about insulating barriers to explain why the "failure failed". One of the properties of electricity is that it will take the path of least resistance. Take, for example, a resistor. It is designed to adjust the current and voltage going into a component of a circuit which is represented by Ohm's law I=V/R. If there was no protective coating on your phone; you dropped your phone in water with impurities; and the resistance of the water was less than that of the resister on the electrical path, then the electricity would travel through the water skipping the electrical component (assuming there isn't a closer electrical path that it would jump to instead as it's not always guaranteed to end up on the same wire). This means that the component which receives the electricity will not have the proper amperage and voltage it needs because it didn't pass through the resistor. The component could become damaged. This won't necessarily damage the component physically if the amperage is lower than required but it could throw off the logic which could crash the computer (in this case you can let your phone dry and it will still boot later). If the amperage was higher than the component expects then it could become physically damaged because high amperage is what generates heat in components and could melt it into a non-functioning state if it is highly sensitive (in this case you would need a phone replacement). This is by all means what a short circuit is.

If you still need more technical explanation maybe google around for terms like heat convection and why do resistors conduct heat.

IN A NUTSHELL: The fact that the phone still works while being underwater proves that the coating actually works. Unless they were being sneaky using distilled water and kept changing it.

Hopefully, that clears things up for you smacula. I found it difficult to explain without getting technical but I tried to keep it as simple as I could (unless you know electrical engineering concepts then ignore my simplicities).

SAM
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  10. smacula

smacula New Member

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. Interesting thing you mentioned about distilled water too. Had forgotten about all that.
Search tags for this page
does droid razr m have liquipel
does droid razr maxx have liquipel

droid razr maxx liquipel

droid razr maxx waterproof video
liquipel 2.0 demo with droid razr maxx
liquipel auto windshield
liquipel broke my phone

liquipel droid razr maxx

liquipel for hearing aids
liquipel for windshields

liquipel patent