[VIDEO] Liquipel's Patent Pending Waterproof Coating Stuns at CTIA 2012

Discussion in 'Android News' started by cereal killer, May 11, 2012.

1. Caesars

Caesars Well-Known Member

I don't want to beat a dead horse but if moto says water repellent (and virtually every person with a brain will agree that maxxs don't belong under water as is) and this is clearly selling it on water proofing. Also regarding the insurance company post, true insurance banks off the "what if chance", probably because those chances are an awfully large reality with a $700 phone lol. Besides this is totally different from insurance, this is the ability to use your phone at the beach, the pool, the jacuzzi, outside in the pouring down rain etc. if this is real tell me where I can sign the contract to open up retail locations because this is as good as free money gets.
  2. pinoy_92

pinoy_92 New Member

i got a noob question.

correct me if im wrong. basically what they do is to coat the device with a microscopic film that has a very low conductiblity, so that water wont short the circuit. so what about when charging the device? would'nt the "nano-coat" block the current coming from the wall-adapter going to the phone?
  3. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Well-Known Member

Electricity could certainly be conducted through a membrane a few nanometers thick. Wouldn't be an issue. I'm sure that by this point they've tested the phones to make sure that they charge afterward.
  4. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Well-Known Member

Let me get off my soapbox for a second and say:

^ that is awesome. :)

-Matt
  5. Dom1000

Dom1000 New Member

lol thats exactly what i was thinking i could do with it...go tubing down at the river with my phone in the water
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  6. MissionImprobable

Yeah, it would be cool to be able to keep your phone on you at the beach or waterpark, especially if you have the ability to pay for food and what not with NFC.
  7. daviddevel

daviddevel New Member

This is pretty cool, although anyone know if the coating affect the warrenty? Also i checked out another company doing something similar, P2i, and the text they have on their site, the guy in this video seems to copy word for word, so not sure what is going on there...
  8. xeene

xeene Well-Known Member

there is also a company called hzo that offers exact same technology HzO WaterBlock Technology, Waterproof Iphone, Waterproof Devices wonder which one did motorola go with?
  9. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

P2i is Motorola's nanocoat provider.
  10. LoudRam

LoudRam Well-Known Member

This FAQ is from the HzO site linked above and may explain why Moto doesn't market the Razr as "waterproof".

Does HzO WaterBlock meet IP waterproof standards? Well – yes and no. IP Standards mean Ingress Protection Standards. “International standard IEC 60529, IP Code classifies and rates the degrees of protection provided against the intrusion of solid objects (including body parts like hands and fingers), dust, accidental contact, and water in mechanical casings and with electrical enclosures” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code). While WaterBlock meets many of the standards for protection from water listed in the IP standard, these water standards were developed to measure the ability to keep water OUT and AWAY from electronic circuitry. In fact, the definition of “ingress” refers to the ability to enter. HzO WaterBlock allows water and moisture to enter and infiltrate the electronic circuitry without damaging or allowing the circuitry to ground and be destroyed. Therefore, yes, we meet levels of protection identified in IP standards, but in a very different way. As a result, HzO has written a new standard we call the WaterBlock standard that specifies water protection from the inside out.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums
  11. xtor

xtor Well-Known Member

They should sale this to auto windshield makers, you wouldn't need wipers anymore, it looks like it would work better then rain x, or even on swim wear, or or your clothing, no more rain jackets, the applications are endless, can i by stock in the company?
  12. MissionImprobable

Guess it's a possibility. If car manufacturers could batch process a large number of windshields at a time without having to add any extra time to manufacturing then it could definitely happen soon. Or a company like Safe Lite who does windshield replacement could add this as a selling point of choosing them if you have a destroyed windshield. Yeah, one of these companies might be worth buying stock in.
  13. geoff5093

geoff5093 New Member

The problem I see is with durability. They say it will last a lifetime, but with all the plugging/unplugging, scratches from everyday use, etc., I find it hard to believe it will still be as waterproof as they show in the video months later.
  14. trestevenson

trestevenson Active Member

If there was a retail store in my area, I'd go have my phone done this weekend! I couldn't go phone-less for a week though, so mailing it isn't a viable option for me.
  15. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

It becomes part of the molecular make-up of the handset. It's not like a coating per se.
  16. MissionImprobable

It's definitely a coating that is physically bonded to the surfaces of the device, no different than the treatment used over gore tex to increase water resistance. If the liquipel fluid actually became a part of the phone, which could only happen if you broke and reformed the bonds holding all the materials together, it would completely change the properties of all the materials making the phone up. No pressure vat is going to make all that happen and give you a usable end product.
  17. Byakushiki

Byakushiki New Member

Which is why I'd prefer to see this in a breathable form applicable to oh say...My OR Mithril jacket or my beefier Patagonia powder bowl jacket. It'd eliminate a lot of issues of having to reapply revivex after each season/month, depending on usage, and generate a lot of revenue for these folks. Sure, the waterproof membrane(DryQ/GoreTex/MemBrain/H2No/whatever, I've used them all) is there, but it doesn't breath without DWR keeping water off the face fabric. If they really say it lasts a lifetime, then it probably translates to a good 2-4 years of hard wear between re-application on outdoor gear. Even at $40-50 a bottle, it's still cheaper than spending $60+ in the same time on revivex.

Apologies for the wall of text, but I think this stuff could be better used in a different industry.
  18. MissionImprobable

Yeah, I can't say that I loved having to spray down and tumble dry all my outerwear after every few uses when I went boarding. There actually is a substance similar to this that is used by the British military, specifically SAS I think, for some of their gear but last I saw it was ridiculously expensive, though this may be the evolution of what the guy responsible for that product made back then. I know at the time they were talking about using it to make spill proof shirts and slacks eventually.

Regardless, there are a lot of great applications for this over time if it's durable. Forget just windshields, you could coat an entire car with this if you found a way to include it in the painting process, make even better stain proof garage floors, carpets, whatever. There are a ridiculous number of possibilities depending on the exact properties of this stuff.
  19. TechJohn

TechJohn New Member

Check out the P2i site you can find out more about the coating, durability etc... While i was there i also saw they had another technology for footwear and hats by the look of it that talks about breathability as well so looks like similar coatings are being used in other industries. Think having the coating applied during manufacturing is the way to go as pretty sure sending in to get coated afterwards would void the warranty.
  20. smacula

smacula New Member

It is interesting that in the video, the guy mentioned waterproof but the guy from Liquipel did not use that word. He did not negate either, which is a dangerous thing in my eyes.

My main concern is about about electrical contacts like charging/usb port as well the headphone socket. Does liquipel work there?

I have also looked at the P2i website. They do seem offer wearable breathable technology, and seem to work on both gadgets as well as clothing. Hopefully this technology can become a norm in modern life!
Search tags for this page
does droid razr m have liquipel

droid razr maxx liquipel

liquipel 2.0 demo with droid razr maxx
liquipel auto windshield
liquipel broke my phone

liquipel droid razr maxx

liquipel for hearing aids
liquipel for windshields

liquipel patent

liquipel process for cloth materials
neverwet galaxy s3