[VIDEO] Liquipel's Patent Pending Waterproof Coating Stuns at CTIA 2012

Discussion in 'Android News' started by cereal killer, May 11, 2012.

1. douglasman100

douglasman100 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  2. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +682
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G4
    I tend to get a case and screen protector for my phone for reasons of water and the environment. For $60, its not really that bad since the phones you buy on contract are $300 and if you drop it in water, you're shelling out WAY more from your own pocket. I've never had water damage to any of my phones, but hey, never only lasts until it happens.

3. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Senior Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 5X
    I love you guys. You're the reason that insurance and extended warranty companies have a successful business model: convince the user that the risk of loss/damage is greater than it really is -- that is, convince the user to buy something that, statistically speaking they don't need -- and then generate a profit by selling more policies than claims paid (overlooking fraud, of course).

Every one of us has an "oh snap" moment with an expensive device. That's exactly the emotion the insurance industry relies on to sell it's products. ;)

The truth is, if you're a statistically average owner who takes average care of your phone, there is (and now I'm totally guessing) a 1-in-1000 chance that the $60 you invest in the coating will pay back dividends. "Lifetime protection"??? Unlikely to pan out once you see the new octo-core hypersonic 6G phone and drop your waterproof hexa-core like a hot potato! I'd say a more reasonable price for the waterproof (water resistant?) protection is $10, given that a decent case costs $20 AND it counts as an accessory AND it protects against the MUCH MORE LIKELY fall out of your pocket/purse/backpack.

On the other hand, it is a TOTALLY COOL technology, and it inspires all kinds of crazy uses. But coat your phone with it? You'd get a lot more ROI by coating your favorite sneakers.

EDIT: actually, the idea of coating toilet paper with it (and then rinsing between uses) sounds like it has potential!

-Matt

4. combatmedic870

combatmedic870 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +56
    I wish they had that for the nexus

5. Byakushiki

Byakushiki Member

Ratings:
    +3
    The big question is...Is it breathable? I'd love to see this in some form usable on rain gear. Royal pain in the neck to have to reapply revivex every month or so because normal water repellent is only durable and wears out after about an hour or two of hard rain.

Good stuff though, would love to see it on possibly my next phone.

6. TOMMYBOT

TOMMYBOT Active Member

Ratings:
    +38
    breathable is also a good question for could it effect the device's temperature? 4 years or so ago i was at a nano tech fair in NYC and this was one of teh technologies. just the example they had there were glass for car wind shields and a treated plant leaf.

with my next phone upgrade once it comes around i would definatly do this. not as a omg keep phone safe thing, but as a omg time to hit teh hot tub with my phone in hand!

edit
    holy crikies their office is area code 92705 ah ha! thats an hour from my house! lol why wait 3 weeks when you can drive it up!

#18 TOMMYBOT, May 12, 2012
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
  7. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Silver Member

Ratings:
    +162
    Are you going to put your own phone in a pressurized tank of this stuff to make sure the inner circuits are coated as well? If so, more power to ya =p

8. xeene

xeene Silver Member

Ratings:
    +804
    moto doesn't give itself enough credit as it uses exactly same technology

9. Caesars

Caesars Senior Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I don't want to beat a dead horse but if moto says water repellent (and virtually every person with a brain will agree that maxxs don't belong under water as is) and this is clearly selling it on water proofing. Also regarding the insurance company post, true insurance banks off the "what if chance", probably because those chances are an awfully large reality with a $700 phone lol. Besides this is totally different from insurance, this is the ability to use your phone at the beach, the pool, the jacuzzi, outside in the pouring down rain etc. if this is real tell me where I can sign the contract to open up retail locations because this is as good as free money gets.

10. pinoy_92

pinoy_92 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    i got a noob question.

correct me if im wrong. basically what they do is to coat the device with a microscopic film that has a very low conductiblity, so that water wont short the circuit. so what about when charging the device? would'nt the "nano-coat" block the current coming from the wall-adapter going to the phone?

11. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Silver Member

Ratings:
    +162
    Electricity could certainly be conducted through a membrane a few nanometers thick. Wouldn't be an issue. I'm sure that by this point they've tested the phones to make sure that they charge afterward.

12. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Senior Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 5X
    Let me get off my soapbox for a second and say:

^ that is awesome. :)

-Matt

Search tags for this page
droid razr maxx liquipel
liquipel 2.0 demo with droid razr maxx