Video Guide - Rooting, Nandroid backups, Custom ROM's etc. THE EASY WAY!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by vtothez, Feb 9, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. sundrop

sundrop New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Directions all work, however using the latest roothelper pro (free-ad support), it updates to a newer version (99.3b) that even his update dont show, therefore I have skipped his update step cause I would be downgrading.

Next thing I am trying is his "install rom beta" it says 99.0b is required, but I will try with 99.3b first.
  2. MrMan

MrMan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my Droid since they came out, but i'm new to rooting! I was always hesitant for one reason or another so I just trudged along. I got the 2.1 update and then (which sucks) I made the decision to root. Damn. So, from all the posts I've read, we have to revert back to 2.0.1. I'm also on a mac, which makes things more difficult. So, using my old pc, I downloaded the files that were required, but to no avail. RSD doesn't recognize my phone. I am able to add the sbf no problem to RSD, but when I hit start nothing happens, and nothing is in the right side pane.
    I don't know if this matters or not, but I also tried to get into safe mode more than several times and it seems that the phone will not allow it. I'm wondering if something might be wrong with my phone from the get go, or somehow it's just user error.
    If anyone could help, that would be great.
  3. vtothez

vtothez Member

Ratings:
    +0
    updated =D
  4. Jason R

Jason R Member

Ratings:
    +0
    could not find the links on your you tube page and when i hook up my droid to the computor the only files i can see is stuff i downloaded
  5. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    As a new Droid owner, I am trying to do all my own homework on this but I have two simple questions:

1) Which is considered the very best rooted 2.1 ROM? (any new ones based on Verizon's official 2.1 yet?)
    and
    2) Are there any of these rooted 2.1 ROMS that do not have features broken/missing now, such as the backlight?

Thanks. I can take it from there... just want to know these two things before I start.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  6. Jason R

Jason R Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the crucial steps you left out of the video KILLING me. HELP PLEASE
  7. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Answering my own question... just did the new method to flash system recovery and push the superuser files to OTA 2.1 without any downgrading or custom ROMS... works great now!
  8. Dirge

Dirge New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Would the files work on Windows 7 64-bit?
  9. jak86

jak86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    this may be a dumb question but do these tutorials still apply for all of the new roms? ive only watched the root and backup videos and i noticed sprecovery was 99.1b and i have downloaded a version thats 99.3. i havent had any luck past rooting using math3ws how-to so i just wanted to know before i start following these tutorials.

thanks
  10. liquidscorp

liquidscorp New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i rooted and updated to 2.1, before watching your vids. i still have superuser icon, but havnt done anything else since i updated(dont want a brick). dont mind 2.1 to much, but i want to remove programs, ie google goggles, google voice or maybe change rom to bare bone for more mem. chance of brick? what programs can i remove w/o bricking and how(what steps and files)?
  11. donald377

donald377 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    where is the update.zip file?
  12. badz

badz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    im nervous it could be a few months before i get a response, but here goes:

I followed the video but before I even started I noticed that it was slightly dated since he had 2.0.1 and I have OTA 2.1 already installed. Needless to say I couldn't update in recovery mode due to an authentication error.

I've seen mixed reviews of needing to downgrade to 2.0.1 and on the other hand others (someone in this thread even) saying theres a "new" way to flash, but they didn't share any details.

Does anyone have any information on how I can root without downgrading? I'd prefer the most direct/barebone way of doing it too. Meaning I don't want to install some personal tool somebody wrote to execute a few commands and automate any of the steps I need to do. Mostly I just don't trust people's scripts/programs and I am confident I can do whatever steps that are needed on my own.

I'm sure there are plenty of great resources so I don't need you guys to re-write anything, if you simply have some direct links on how to root a Moto Droid with OTA 2.1 that would be a great start for me.

Thanks in advance.

badz
  13. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,454
  14. badz

badz Member

Ratings:
    +0

I can't thank you enough for the speedy response. I found that FLY .06 has some issues with SPRE and that was a huge part of my issue as well, but I rooted to a stockish 2.1 linked from the thread link, and once I had clockworkmod rom manager installed and setup with the rooted phone I was able to get FLY .06 up and running!

Thank you again!
  15. Nblufire12

Nblufire12 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks so much!!! These videos provide invaluable information!
Search tags for this page

math3w's guide to rooting

rometc full movie you tube