[Video] G3 vs S5

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
[video=youtube;pbwjTVqwYS0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbwjTVqwYS0&list=TLctI2ReAIE0lSthCd-uCkylDbZ7p-1UEx[/video]​

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
As sexy as the G3 is, this video (along with others that are popping up online) is making me lean towards skipping the G3 for now in favor of keeping the S5.

This part from the video sums it up pretty well for me, particularly the last line:

"The Galaxy S5 is the phone you take with you on adventures into the wilderness, case or no case. The G3 is the phone you show off at the office water cooler. And when you're doing so, be sure to point out the quad HD display. And you'll have to point it out. Yes, it's much higher resolution than the Galaxy's, but it's almost impossible for a normal person to tell the difference. And Samsung's much brighter panel is more useful out in the daylight. Again, function versus form."

The S5 simply has more features that I find incredibly useful in day to day life than the G3, which is what gives it the edge for me...for the time being. I'm sure I won't be able to resist the allure of the G3 for too long though, especially once we start getting real world experience from everyday users reported here. :)

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I don't think waterproof constitutes more rugged. Drop both from the same height on the same surface and then determine which is more rugged. I believe both will exhibit considerable damage.

I wonder why LG would use a screen that has no apparent advantage. I'm thinking something in background is going on that will take advantage of the quad HD screen. Time will tell.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I don't think waterproof constitutes more rugged. Drop both from the same height on the same surface and then determine which is more rugged. I believe both will exhibit considerable damage.

I don't think the video says anything about the S5 being "more rugged" than the G3 because of waterproofing or anything else. I know I didn't. In fact, I don't recall the word "rugged" being used in the video.

The video, and in turn myself, are talking about the IP67 rating and the brighter screen when talking about outdoor use with the S5. They make it a little more outdoors friendly.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
IMO, venture into the wilderness implies ruggedness.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
IMO, venture into the wilderness implies ruggedness.

I disagree, particularly when they immediately go on to describe what they mean by that.

I'd say that waterproofing, dustproofing, and a brighter screen do lend themselves to easier use outdoors (even if the first two are more for peace of mind than anything else), but that those things don't necessarily make the phone rugged. The bright screen is definitely something I appreciate on a daily basis.

Either way, they're both tremendous devices. :)

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I wonder why LG would use a screen that has no apparent advantage. I'm thinking something in background is going on that will take advantage of the quad HD screen. Time will tell.

There's a couple factors at play here that immediately come to mind. The first is that the human eye can only process so much information. When you get to a certain point with resolution on a smartphone screen, most people aren't going to be able to tell a difference in general use.

The second, and the one that will play the most heavily into it at launch, is that there aren't many apps or readily available videos that can take advantage of the increased resolution of the screen at this point.

It's not that there's no apparent advantage to the screen. There are several potential advantages. It's just that most people won't notice them and there aren't a lot of things available that take full advantage of the screen yet.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'm just curious when we'll start seeing more about the Sony experia.. I'm up in the air between it and the g3..But it's rumored to have overheating problems...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah.. The heating thing is a bigger problem for some apparently.. What are the chances they'll actually improve on this device? (for the vzw variant) I'm thinking slim to none..

y0yoyo

Reaction score
Battery life of the G3 might be a deal breaker for me. Most reviews of the battery life I have read aren't too good

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Battery life of the G3 might be a deal breaker for me. Most reviews of the battery life I have read aren't too good

From what I have read, the G3 scored 25 hours of talk time and 7 hours of web browsing. Browsing is a bit low and considered average. Keep in mind the G3 screen is QHD which uses more power. The trade off is the crisp text you get. Personally, I prefer a screen that is easier to read.