[Video] Flash on the Droid!

darreno1

Reaction score
Besides the nice flash demo (which I can't wait for), did anybody notice how much smoother his browser was?

gentlefury

Reaction score
See article at the attached link regarding pricing for 4G. Weak!
Verizon: 4G may end unlimited mobile data plans | Electronista
As long as they put the cost onto those who are 'bandwidth hogs' I don't have a problem. I agree, why should I subsidize someone's bandwidth?

Umm, if your not using bandwidth why have a smartphone?? Everything on the phone is geared around data! I listed to Pandora for 2 hours a day...and check my email and im and so on....that's why you have a data phone. I still think a limited unlimited plan is super shadey, and should be illegal!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
See article at the attached link regarding pricing for 4G. Weak!
Verizon: 4G may end unlimited mobile data plans | Electronista
As long as they put the cost onto those who are 'bandwidth hogs' I don't have a problem. I agree, why should I subsidize someone's bandwidth?

Umm, if your not using bandwidth why have a smartphone?? Everything on the phone is geared around data! I listed to Pandora for 2 hours a day...and check my email and im and so on....that's why you have a data phone. I still think a limited unlimited plan is super shadey, and should be illegal!
I use bandwidth, but if the large amounts used by some people are a concern for VZW then those using the data should pay the difference. Not across the board. Keep the $30 for unlimited. I'd have no problem paying say $20 for a 5GB cap.

I use my phone, but some of these numbers are HUGE. If they're gonna hit the consumer, I believe it's only fair to have those using such large amounts to be the ones paying for it. I don't wanna subsidize your data usage.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd edit my previous post as I realized it's way off topic and not worth arguing over. :)

Sean

Reaction score
any news on an eta that we might expect this by?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
any news on an eta that we might expect this by?
First half of 2010 is the best estimate we've gotten. I would guess somewhere around the 2.1 release for Android... but it's just a guess.

snowman

Reaction score
The 4G there talking about is connecting computers t the verzon system which is limited to 5Gig as mentioned , the droid plan is not limited

gentlefury

Reaction score
The 4G there talking about is connecting computers t the verzon system which is limited to 5Gig as mentioned , the droid plan is not limited

No, 4G is the forth generation network, which is rumored to be WiMAX. It will be faster and supposedly more accommodating...yet they are wanting to punish those of us that decide to move with the times.

As for the "bandwidth hogs"....once flash comes out that will be every smartphone user! You can easily bag 100MB in one web site! Phone companies need to accept that pandora's box has been opened and convergence is here in full force! It is their responsibility to build up the networks to deal with the data traffic...it is not the users problem is they are overusing their "unlimited" data plan.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

No, 4G is the forth generation network, which is rumored to be WiMAX. It will be faster and supposedly more accommodating...yet they are wanting to punish those of us that decide to move with the times.

As for the "bandwidth hogs"....once flash comes out that will be every smartphone user! You can easily bag 100MB in one web site! Phone companies need to accept that pandora's box has been opened and convergence is here in full force! It is their responsibility to build up the networks to deal with the data traffic...it is not the users problem is they are overusing their "unlimited" data plan.
I did not think about the bandwidth usage in regards to Flash. Bandwidth use will definitely go up.
In light of this realization, I change my position on the issue :)

Silver Member
Reaction score
just general web surfing with flash enabled shouldn't cause you to reach a 5G cap, tho. remember, Adobe specifically said that they're scaling presentations down so that they take up fewer resources when displayed on a DROID.

i don't think it will be any heavier than an image-rich website like a photo forum, etc.

Anomander

Reaction score
Should be interesting to see how much flash will impact the data usage though. I'll try and look at the data usage for my phone up until Flash comes out. Hopefully I can get a good baseline and then compare it to the bills when Flash comes out. I expect it to go up, but the key question is will I change my viewing habits once flash comes out and start visiting flash heavy websites? Makes me wonder if we will see some of the mobile websites switch over to some flash stuff also?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
just general web surfing with flash enabled shouldn't cause you to reach a 5G cap, tho. remember, Adobe specifically said that they're scaling presentations down so that they take up fewer resources when displayed on a DROID.

i don't think it will be any heavier than an image-rich website like a photo forum, etc.
Ah... I do remember something about that while scanning through articles.
I can see your point in it not making a big difference in data. I'd have to blast through a lot more data to break the 5GB cap.