Video Demo Leaks Out Future Google TV Features; Voice-Activated Remote Control & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
goole-tv-demo-shot.jpeg

How does controlling your TV with your voice instead of a traditional remote sound? Supposedly that may be exactly what the next iteration of Google TV may bring. A video demo of features for the next version of Google TV leaked out temporarily, but before it was yanked folks got to see some of Google's plans for the future. Probably the most stand-out new feature is full voice-control for the product. Here's a quote with some of the details,

For example, there’s big improvements to Search, which now lets you use voice commands to surface content far more effectively than before.

You can shout ‘Mad Men’, and it will peruse programmes on live TV, Netflix, YouTube and so on. Moreover, you can also search by genre – shout ‘comedies’, and it’ll bring up all the funny flicks at your disposal, and it will let you jump straight into certain channels by shouting their name, i.e. “HBO”, automatically loading that channel. It’s not just about content though, you can also bring up apps and websites through voice commands, such as “Google Maps”.

Another key feature is a mini-guide, which lets you plan what you’re watching next whilst still watching your current programme. It opens up at the bottom of the screen, so you can line it up for after.

One other interesting feature was teased, the video also demoed tablet connectivity. This would basically allow a Google TV to relay content over to a smaller display on your tablet, like SmartGlass.

Although Google TV has been mostly a fledgling flop (as far as sell-through numbers are concerned), it's great to see that Google hasn't given up on it, and that it may, in fact have a very bright future. Who else is looking forward to this?

Source: Google TV v3 teaser: More Effective Voice Search

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Sounds really cool, but I'm guessing many of these features won't work on the older google TV's, ie: Sony 40 inch as they have no mics.. But I guess it wouldn't be hard to make an adapter for one.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Blah, I want a smart TV that automatically mutes during commercials and un-mutes when the TV show comes back on. Make a TV that reads my mind. I'd rather push a button on a remote than talk to the TV like a schizophrenic. :crazy:

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sounds really cool, but I'm guessing many of these features won't work on the older google TV's, ie: Sony 40 inch as they have no mics.. But I guess it wouldn't be hard to make an adapter for one.
Why do I feel their not gonna make adpters for older tv's,but make us buy the lastest and greatest.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Blah, I want a smart TV that automatically mutes during commercials and un-mutes when the TV show comes back on. Make a TV that reads my mind. I'd rather push a button on a remote than talk to the TV like a schizophrenic. :crazy:
You mean to tell me,you would mute,"Ive falling and I cant get up."or"Clap on,clap off.":D

marleyinoc

Reaction score

I use able remote and it allows voice control like channel 809, etc. I don't use it that often, though.

My remote (for Sony gtv) has a hole in the bottom--I always thought that was a Mic but never tried it.

-Bionic 6.7.247 via HoB

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Or how about just sound normalizing? If the suddenly much louder commercials aren't enough, I often find myself watching programs/movies where you have to turn way up to hear voices (and I have a good speaker surround system) and then explosions start going off and I'm scrambling to turn it down before my neighbors complain.

Also, I'm not sure if my tv has a USB input (I assume), but I wonder if someone couldn't rig some sort of dongle or special USB with a mic that you could plug-in and have android on your tv. I'm sure there's already something like this out there.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I use able remote and it allows voice control like channel 809, etc. I don't use it that often, though.

My remote (for Sony gtv) has a hole in the bottom--I always thought that was a Mic but never tried it.

-Bionic 6.7.247 via HoB

Yea I use Able also, works great.. guess we see what happens,

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Or how about just sound normalizing? If the suddenly much louder commercials aren't enough, I often find myself watching programs/movies where you have to turn way up to hear voices (and I have a good speaker surround system) and then explosions start going off and I'm scrambling to turn it down before my neighbors complain.

Also, I'm not sure if my tv has a USB input (I assume), but I wonder if someone couldn't rig some sort of dongle or special USB with a mic that you could plug-in and have android on your tv. I'm sure there's already something like this out there.

That's exactly what I was thinking...