Video Comparison of 4K Pics from LG G3 and Samsung Galaxy S5

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;a_O4151iJOo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_O4151iJOo[/video]​

The above video showcases a direct comparison of 4K shots taken using both the LG G3 and the Samsung Galaxy S5. Although this is arguably subjective, it looks like the Galaxy S5 produces slightly better shots, but the G3 really holds its own and is nearly on par. The video taken includes shots of french fries, an insect, a plant, a statue of an own and a few standard landscape shots as well.

What's really important to take away from this is how stunning an image can be taken with these two high-end smartphones.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Cell phone photos are so deceptive. When seen alone or with one another they look OK, pretty decent, or even great. However, show those same images beside a REAL image from a camera like a Sony NEX 5R (which is a great novice/mid-level camera) or BETTER and they look pretty mediocre. Not to say they aren't getting better or to take anything away from them, but I'm still in the camp of bringing my own camera when I do stuff.

silverfang77

Reaction score
I like the S5's photos better as the colors seem to pop more.

OT: Who puts mayo on their fries?

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score

OT: Who puts mayo on their fries? 

They put mayo on french fries in Europe usually. I've tried it by mistake (a little fell from my burger onto my fries), and I can definitely taste the appeal. :)

Anyway, I wish I had a 4K device to really see the 4K images.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The other problem with these tests (some, maybe not this one) is what does a one-chance, one-click photo look like? An experienced user that knows how to tweak the settings and get just the right angle and lighting and chooses from multiple shots is NOT real world use.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I prefer the S5 photos as well, although the G3 did pretty well too. While I understand your point of view Dusty, having a decent DSLR camera does not necessarily mean you'll be taking better pictures. For example my parents spent over 3 grand for a Canon DSLR last year and I honestly think the majority of the photos I take on my S3 look far superior. They took a 3 week road trip to Alaska last year and out of the thousand plus pictures my Mom took, there were maybe a dozen that looked downright amazing and far superior to my S3. Of course knowing how to operate this type of tech is everything, and my parents being in their late 60s early 70s, aren't those most tech savvy people out there, so that was a huge contributing factor. The point is, even on vacation, it's a major PITA to lug around a separate camera. So having a decent camera you can fit in your pocket is very important to me personally, as I take a lot of pictures each week. So while I agree that having and knowing how to properly use a decent DSLR camera is optimal for high quality pictures, unless I'm at a wedding or important family event mine is gathering dust in my nightstand. For everyday use you really can't beat the camera quality from the majority of today's smartphones. (just my 2 cents) :)

Bara65

Reaction score
S5 photos seem to have more contrast and rich colors and while G3 photos have somewhat dull looking colors. But I see G3 reviews saying it's easier to take consistent low light shots than S5 due to OIS in G3. Honest both phone camera looks great and not a deciding factor for selecting one over the other especially if you know how to tinker with setting for best shot.

Right now I'm unhappy with battery killing KK update for Razr HD, and if FDR or next OTA doesn't fix it I will bail out earlier than upgrade cycle and get S5 or G3.

acousticshade

Reaction score
Hard to compare without knowing what the true object looks like also. With all the software tweaks going on, one camera may be over sharpening or over saturating.

bswnyca

Reaction score

OT: Who puts mayo on their fries?

OT response: LOL back in my waitress days, I'd dip the real crunchy fries left in the basket in mayo cause it cooled it plus no ketchup in the bain marie. it stuck & my kids eat w/ mayo too.