1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Video Call All Day With Tangp

Discussion in 'Android News' started by WenWM, Oct 3, 2010.

1. WenWM

WenWM Premium Member Premium Member

Video Call All Day With Tango

[​IMG]

The iPhone was released late last June and one of the biggest features was the Facetime video calling ability, well Android has something similar to that now. This video calling solution is called Tango, and it is a free cross platform application for Android and iPhone users. It allows you to call the other party with either voice or video and you can even choose which camera to use for that. Unlike Facetime for the iPhone 4, it works on 3G and can also work off your back camera, so people like me that own a Droid X can still use it.

There is nothing more to say about this except how awesome it sounds, and that I will be downloading it and using it till a Skype solution comes to the table.

I think Video calling is very cool, I do it when I am on my laptop on Skype and am looking forward to when it becomes more popular with people so devices will come with front facing camera's.

News via: IntoMobile
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  2. kinfolk248

kinfolk248 New Member

so do i still need two cameras to see and send video? im a bit lost sorry...
  3. SocalMike

SocalMike New Member

im lost too
  4. everstar80

everstar80 New Member

Yeah, I am also wondering are there any fees and does it apply to your calling plans minutes?
  5. IanG

IanG New Member

Hahahahaha, if only the video quality was as good as the pictures above show.

One can dream, can't they?
  6. droidilac

droidilac New Member

I was wondering the same thing so I downloaded the app. I mean it was free!!!! They also have a very nice and usefull FAQ...

It works over your WiFi, 3G, OR 4G connection so it s a "Data" app...

The pic quality isnt the greatest. At least we are starting to go somewhere. Yes having 2 cameras would be nice. If you dont care about seeing the other person just face the back of your phone so your camera can see you. IDK im sure somebody will appreciate this app and maybe make improvements????
  7. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

I have a Co-Worker with the Evo and one with the ip4g...I will get a good test on this application and bring back a decent report :wink:
  8. phatkat66

phatkat66 New Member

Plz fix the title its not "TangP" its "TangO".

Can't wait to go home and try this on my Dx
  9. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

We were actually able to make use of it with my Original Droid and a friends ip3G...taking into consideration neither have a front facing camera the app works pretty good
  10. ColinZack

ColinZack New Member

Fring does the same thing, as well as including a messaging client. Honestly, its cool, but who wants to talk to someone while looking at the back of your phone, and thus not be able to see the other person. Two people with no front facing cameras could be using this program, both looking at the back of their phones, and neither would have any idea that the other couldn't see them. It'd basically just be a phone call.
  11. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

That's true, and funny...it was still fun to mess with though and would be nice if you have kids and a parent is out of town :wink:
  12. rooster.droid

rooster.droid New Member

Heading to asia in a couple of weeks. Plan to use fring and a mirror to see. I know not as cool as the front facing camera but should do in a pinch.
  13. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

It's a great idea, and the app works great for video calling - doesn't work great as an app, though.

App is always running and cannot be killed - it simply "respawns". It doesn't just keep running, it keeps jumping to the foreground and interrupting whatever else you are doing. It's sure to be a battery-killer to leave it installed, so I removed it. Maybe I'll try it again when they finish the app.
  14. yahwarrior

yahwarrior New Member

This works good on the Evo4g. The video stream lags slighty but better than Fring or Quick.
  15. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I can't edit my post, so I'll reply to add - I just looked at the Tango blog, and they claim to have fixed the pop-to-foreground issue, I'm going to try it out again
  16. sweeeeet

sweeeeet Well-Known Member

looks great in the pics, will wait for the next high powered phone that has a front facing cam.... no current one interests me

ps whats she doing talking to him? lol
  17. dietche

dietche New Member

TangP and Fring and stuff

If you pretend like it's an old school walkie talkie and do like we old people had to do, which was saying "over", it works rather well. Each time you are done with your current remark you say "over" and you both switch your camera views around real fast. This way, neither person is watching the screen while it's all shaky or anything.

I've used Fring this way a few times and it's not bad. It does bring the distance between closer than voice can by itself when you're away from family.

It's real good for tucking the kids in at night too since you aren't really switching back and forth a lot like a real conversation might be. You ask them about their day and they tell you all about it but they can still hear you as you laugh at their exploits and then they tell you g'nite. Then you switch camera views around real fast and you tell them g'nite. For just this alone, it's really worth it and really closes the "distance between feeling" by a huge amount.

Also, the mirror trick as mentioned above is good if you have some kind of stand for both the mirror and the phone. However, the camera has a bad tendency to focus on the focal plane of the mirrors surface instead of the reflection (ergo: you) in the mirror. So the person on the other end gets this wonderful view of smudges and dust on the mirror glass. To beat the problem try pulling the phone farther away which can help force it to focus at infinity.

--Dietche
  18. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Hahaha... great observation man.

Could always both use mirrors if ya dont have a front facing camera? hahaha.
  19. Eschy

Eschy New Member

am i the only one reminded of Kyles cousin on south park by the picture in the smaller screen
  20. everstar80

everstar80 New Member

Hahaha. Spot on, Eschy, spot on.
Search tags for this page
app for video phone call for droid x
cousin kyle southpark wallpaper

kyle's cousin

kyle's cousin kyle

kyle's cousin on south park
kyles cousin
kyles cousin im back

kyles cousin kyle