Vibrating phone is driving me nuts!

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
Ever since I got my Droid Maxx 2 marshmallow, I'm getting vibrations on different things all the time. I've set the phone to know my NO VIBRATION, but it won't listen to me! It vibrates one single vibration. These are a couple of the things where it vibrates for no good reason:

1. After speaking on the phone and ending the call, it immediately vibrates.

2. Whenever I write in a text box in notepad or Word and I am finished with the text, the microphone text box comes up. I check the X in the right upper corner to close the box and it vibrates.

I've never had this happen before on any of my phones, and I really dislike that vibration. Anyone have any ideas?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I would try this first, if you haven't already. Go to Settings > Storage & USB > Internal Storage > Let all fields load > Cached Data > Yes or OK to clear > wait for the screen to refresh > back button out of Settings. Then power off and boot into Recovery and clear the system cache. Then reboot and see if things are any better. None of this removes any user data, just clears out the cached files and "cobwebs". Here are the steps for clearing the system cache for your phone.

Clear the Cache Partition - Droid Turbo 2

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
Hi Sajo, thank you for getting back so quickly. I tried all the steps you suggested, and it's still vibrating. It's really bizarre. I think my phone is possessed. ;)

When I went from the Razr to Droid Maxx, it was a great upgrade. So very different than the Razr and definitely worth the upgrade (although I loved my Razr). However, going from Droid Maxx to DM2 didn't seem to be as significant an upgrade. Not that different from the Droid Maxx and I've had quite a few little glitchy things happening here and there.

Most of them I've found either a resolution or workaround. So, I start thinking maybe this is how it's supposed to be with DM2 .... the vibrating. Because, I've looked online everywhere and searched and searched, changing my search variables, everything! After all that searching, this was the only place that I was able to explain the problem, and got your then got your reply.

Have you run across this before? Normally, my problems are the same as everybody else's, but this one's a real head-scratcher!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
MaxxGrl, happy to know that we were the one place that was able to attempt to help. Thanks! We're usually pretty good about that and will try every troubleshooting solution until we found the fix. Every once in a while we have to give up but I think we should be able to figure yours out.

I'm sure you already checked the phone's default sound & notification settings. Check to make sure the sound or notifications are not set to vibrate.

My next guess is that it is an app or two that is creating the vibration. The next time it vibrates, I would check the notifications in the drop down. For every notification, go to the app and check all notification settings to make sure the sound is not set to vibrate.

If still no success, although probably a daunting task, check all apps settings.

Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Good morning Maxxgrl. I agree with @TisMyDroid. If this happened after the Marshmallow update, it sounds like an app (or apps) are not playing nice with Android Marshmallow. One way test this is running your phone in Safe Mode for a while. When in Safe Mode most Play Store apps will not load & will not run automatically. Normally only the pre-installed apps will run, helping to determine if a Play Store App is causing the issues. To boot into Safe Mode tap power like you would to shut down....then long press the Power Off option and you will see the Boot Into Safe Mode question. Select Yes / OK. Depending on how often the vibrations occur you may have to stay in Safe Mode for a while (if they happen all the time an hour or less may be enough, ifnthey happen randomly every few hours then you may have to run in Safe Mode for hours). Try to resist opening Play Store apps while in Safe Mode and only use apps that came pre-installed on the phone (that part sucks sometimes) and see how it behaves. If the vibrations stop then a Play Store App is normally at fault...figuring out which one is normally not easy. If the vibrations continue the issue may be with a pre-installed app or a system app.

To exit Safe Mode just power off the phone and then power it on again. You may have to re-enter a few passwords on some Play Store apps afterwards.

Hope this helps, and you can figure this out soon. I'm sure these random vibrations are annoying.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
OK, I will start working on the apps and the safe mode suggestions. Will pop back in with the results.

Thanks so much guys!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
OK, I will start working on the apps and the safe mode suggestions. Will pop back in with the results.

Thanks so much guys!
We'll keep our fingers crossed that you fix the problem. If not, we might have to dig deeper for the solution.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk