Very poor WIFI performance?

AlanN

Reaction score
Whilst I am in general very happy with my Milestone, the one thing that is consistently rubbish is the WIFI performance.

In my house, I have an Airport Extreme Base Station and 2 Airport Express units used as range extenders (I live in a big old house with very dense walls).

Our 3 laptops get full bars of signal and fast WIFI performance ANYWHERE in the house, garden, garage or even pub next door :icon_ banana:
Two MACs, one W7.
Also, iPhone (wife's) and iPod get full signal, great performance.

The Milestone never shows more than 60% signal and the browsing is slow.

Same in a few regular hotspots I frequent, iPod performs great, Milestone is avarage at best.

Any ideas chaps?

Szadzik

Reaction score
Whilst I am in general very happy with my Milestone, the one thing that is consistently rubbish is the WIFI performance.

In my house, I have an Airport Extreme Base Station and 2 Airport Express units used as range extenders (I live in a big old house with very dense walls).

Our 3 laptops get full bars of signal and fast WIFI performance ANYWHERE in the house, garden, garage or even pub next door :icon_ banana:
Two MACs, one W7.
Also, iPhone (wife's) and iPod get full signal, great performance.

The Milestone never shows more than 60% signal and the browsing is slow.

Same in a few regular hotspots I frequent, iPod performs great, Milestone is avarage at best.

Any ideas chaps?

The only answer is to get an iPhone.

OP
A

AlanN

Reaction score
The only answer is to get an iPhone.

Thanks for that stunningly incisive technical advice :)

I've had an iPhone, as I said my wife *has* an iPhone.

I have an iPod Touch and it's a great gadget.

However I really like the Milestone and Android in general but am very dissapointed with the wifi performance.
It doesn't seem to "see" the range extenders in my house whatsoever, and even when I stand next to the main base station my Milestone never registers more than 60% signal, I don't give a crap what percentage it registers, the point is it PERFORMS slowly!

In identical environments (same time, same hotspots) the Milestone is massively outperformed by either my iPod or my wife's iPhone.

Why?

I don't want a cocking iPhone...I want the Milestone to perform as it should/is expected to.
Is that too much to ask?

Techneut

Reaction score
I am having a normal ADSL2 modem with standard WIFI; and my Milestone says, even from a small distance:
91%, excellent.
Performing is at maximum speed and flawlessly, just as it should be.

Probably, your Milestone doesn't perform too well in that department...
Did you already try to exchange it?

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ugh unfortunately it's due to the wifi hardware or something I had HUGE headache with wifi and my droid. I have to move my router into my room in order to get a good wifi signal strength. I noticed that because my router was so far away my droid would constantly lose connection and the wifi wouldn't turn back on after turning off.

Not to mention when ever I'm using my droid next to my Parent's Mac mini upstairs on the third floor the mac mini's internet connection starts to lag...while my droid is fine lol so weird.

OP
A

AlanN

Reaction score
Ugh unfortunately it's due to the wifi hardware or something I had HUGE headache with wifi and my droid. I have to move my router into my room in order to get a good wifi signal strength. I noticed that because my router was so far away my droid would constantly lose connection and the wifi wouldn't turn back on after turning off.

Not to mention when ever I'm using my droid next to my Parent's Mac mini upstairs on the third floor the mac mini's internet connection starts to lag...while my droid is fine lol so weird.

Hmmm.
Sorta my point it must be a hardware thing surely?

bastosero

Reaction score
My wi-fi works very well for me. Try a reset first, and if that doesn't work try getting a replacement for it.

OP
A

AlanN

Reaction score
My wi-fi works very well for me. Try a reset first, and if that doesn't work try getting a replacement for it.

Tried that today (with all the pain it involves re-installing ans setting everything up!)

No difference.

Looks like I'll be on the phone to Expansys Monday...

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

Tried that today (with all the pain it involves re-installing ans setting everything up!)

No difference.

Looks like I'll be on the phone to Expansys Monday...

Earlier this week, I responded to a thread that compared 3G to wifi.

Apparently, I'm the odd man out because, typically, I do not have my wifi turned on. I know that wifi is faster but where I live 3G is fine for my use.

When I do turn wifi on I have no problems. I have a Linksys with MacBook pro and iMac.

I think a trip to the store is in order.

Mike