Very interesting... root but can't flash Recovery!!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Handshake, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Handshake

Handshake Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all. I have been rooting everytinhg (Nexus, G1, and Droid) for about 1 1/2 years now.... have an unuasual thing going on here

I had a droid and it ofcourse died so I needed to get a replacement. Got it in the mail and it seems to have the 2.2 FRG22D which I was expecting

Followed this tutorial and rooted fine: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html#post766732

It roots fine and can remove service apps just fine. Problem though is that I am unable to flasha recovery. I flashed the SPR which I prefer Clockwork

I go into ROM manager and wont flash it... also choosed the erase recovery when flashing it...

Any ideas? I want to kind of stay away from using ADB because I wanna get this done while I'm still at work today lol

Thanks for the help guys... I MISS MY CUSTOM OS!!!

2. Handshake

Handshake Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Also I did confirm I have BusyBux 1.16.0 installed... Titanium confirmed it

3. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
  4. Handshake

Handshake Member

Ratings:
    +0
    See thats the thing... I have SPR on there now with no problem... I want clockwork but see I am unable to flash it. I used ROM Manager to flash it and it says it completed fine but still has SPR.... I also wiped permissions so it would have to ask and still does same thing... SO WEIRD!

5. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    How many times have you tried? Rom Manager has been a little picky lately and you might have to flash several times before it takes.

6. Handshake

Handshake Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Uhh like 5 times... I'll try 18 times now and I also have Erase recovery checked in Rom Manager lol... Wish me luck

7. Handshake

Handshake Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Flashed 18 times and even redownlaoded it by clearing the Download Cache... still no go

8. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Perhaps try un-checking erase recovery. I've never used that option in rom manager and never had a problem.

good luck

9. joeybarclay

joeybarclay Member

Ratings:
    +1
    can you boot into recovery right after you flash it because i know that i had a problem getting into recovery after a reboot i would have stock recovery. There is a file somewhere in internal memory that will reflash your recovery if it is different.

10. fd2blk78

fd2blk78 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ?

My rom manager has been kind of weird too. Heres the deal, I am trying to restore a backup and have not been able to get the backup to work. All it says is that rom manager has super user permissions, and thats it. Now I had renamed my backups so I could keep track of them, and its a no go. I had a backup that I did NOT rename, and it loads just fine. Why would that happen? Am I just missing something or can you just not rename the backups? I tried through rom manager AS WELL as loading it from recovery mode...

Any ideas?

11. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    CWMRecovery (Rom manager) creates a md5 checksum when it creates the backup, so that probably has something to do with the fact that the ones you renamed don't work anymore. Or it's possible that you have spaces in the new name. I don't believe spaces are allowed in nandroid folders' names.

good luck

12. fd2blk78

fd2blk78 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats exactly what I saw when I tried to restore via recovery mode. MD5 doesnt match or something along those lines.

Lesson learned about changing the name of the backup. DONT DO IT!

Thanks for the help. Have a few more questions about using different themes while still in sapphire, and 1.1.1 not loading over 1.1.0, but I guess Ill start another thread. Or if you wouldnt mind helping a brother out, let me know and Ill fire away in this thread. Thanks again.

13. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Upon further reflection, I have renamed my backups, albiet within rom manager, without problems. But whatever you did, messed up the md5 so however you did it, don't do it that way again.

As far as your other questions, yes go ahead and post them in the respective rom and/or theme areas, to do so here would be a hijack of this thread and not fair to any that come to read it later.

good luck

14. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +230
    I believe you can rename nandroids.....but cannot change the format of the name. Can't make it too long or add spaces.

Search tags for this page
g1 flash recovery with terminal

rom manager can't flash recovery

root can't recovery