Very confusing display issue!

Fenway72

Reaction score
I had posted this in another part of the forums but it's kinda buried, so I figured I'd try a repost here to see if anyone has a good explanation to something that makes no sense to me at all. So here goes:

I had a problem with the phone I am currently using now, so they (Verizon) sent me another phone. While waiting for the replacement which arrived very quickly- I figured out what was wrong with this one (it was an app that I had installed that turned of 3G access) so I didn't need the replacement.
I decided to activate the other one while I had it to check something, and I noticed that the display on the other one was awful compared to this one. The colors were almost low res! There was no "fading" from light to dark colors. Exaxt same picture (it's an image of mine stored on my SD card) and the exact same phone model.

My phone is a Droid 2, rooted deodexed and running the black glass 928 theme. The new phone is a droid 2 obviously stock and untouched.

I hardly think that the root and theme increases the display quality, nor do I believe that Motorola would make a phone that would have a low res and a high res version. So what on earth could be the reason for this?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
Fenway72

Fenway72

Reaction score
I think you might be missing my question. The other phone does not blend fading colors the same as this one. On this phone the colors fade into one another smoothly. The other almost rainbows the colors with little fading. Unless every single pixel in the other phone is bad, I don't think that it the cause. No matter what picture is displayed, it's almost grainy. I may be wrong, but as I understand pixel quality, I don't think what you suggest applies.

Oh and I looked at your wiki link there, and that is not what I am talking about.

Imagine you have an image that fades from black to white. Now, on the other phone you would see the colors "step" in hue. From black to dark gray to gray to light gray to white. On my phone the blending is smooth with no "stepping." As I understand that is a resolution issue not color depth.

holmes6

Reaction score
check out the wikipedia article I posted.
from what you describe I picture your screen to look like the 4 bit or 8 bit example
hmm, that is just weird if it doesn't match

maybe you can take a pic or vid

OP
Fenway72

Fenway72

Reaction score
Maybe somewhat, but this offers no explanation as to why the other phone displays in 8 bit whereas this one had a better display. Again, same picture, same phone model.

OP
Fenway72

Fenway72

Reaction score
take some screenshots of both and post them

I can screenshot this one as it is rooted. I had to send the other back anyway so it's not possible.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Probably not, then.

You could use your rooted phone to take a picture of the non-rooted phone, but that would lose some clarity. However, if you look at it and feel it shows enough, you could share the picture that way.