Very annoying issue w/Google Maps Navigator & phone calls

Jer

Reaction score
So today when I was headed somewhere I had one of the more annoying things happen that I've experienced with this Droid. I was driving to an address and had entered it into Google Maps and selected the navigation option. As I was driving I dialed a number and was leaving a voice mail for the person when the navigation started issuing voice commands right into my ear... loudly. I'm pretty sure that it was audible on the other end and was the last thing I needed when leaving my contact information with someone who didn't have it. I took me a few minutes to get all the information out w/o being interrupted by the voice guidance. Quite annoying. Any ideas? This is something that needs to be corrected with an option within Google Maps Nav that allows you to mute voices when in a call.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It has definitely been discussed in other threads. I don't recall what suggestion were made off the top of my head but I recommend searching for those threads.

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
I didn't see it in any other threads. This was the first time yesterday where I was leaving a voice mail while driving so taking the time to go into the menu and disable the voice wasn't an option. I was hoping there might be an app or something on the horizon for an update from Google to correct this as I can't be the only one frustrated by this.

jmarangolo

Reaction score
Annoying and really bad.

I to experianced this annoyance in a call. While the other person was speaking the navigation would talk over the person very loudly in my bluetooth ear piece. The other person did not hear the navigation and kept speaking.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
So today when I was headed somewhere I had one of the more annoying things happen that I've experienced with this Droid. I was driving to an address and had entered it into Google Maps and selected the navigation option. As I was driving I dialed a number and was leaving a voice mail for the person when the navigation started issuing voice commands right into my ear... loudly. I'm pretty sure that it was audible on the other end and was the last thing I needed when leaving my contact information with someone who didn't have it. I took me a few minutes to get all the information out w/o being interrupted by the voice guidance. Quite annoying. Any ideas? This is something that needs to be corrected with an option within Google Maps Nav that allows you to mute voices when in a call.

Opinion is split over whether it is better to get lost or have your call interrupted by Ms. Robotic Voice. Seems to be an ideal candidate for a setting in navigation. In any event, rest assured that the person (or the voice mail recorder) didn't hear the navigation voice. All they heard was you being confused and apparently unable to leave your contact information correctly.

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score

Opinion is split over whether it is better to get lost or have your call interrupted by Ms. Robotic Voice. Seems to be an ideal candidate for a setting in navigation. In any event, rest assured that the person (or the voice mail recorder) didn't hear the navigation voice. All they heard was you being confused and apparently unable to leave your contact information correctly.

Now that I know the person on the other end can't hear it it's not as big of a deal. I just wish it wasn't so darn loud because it about blew my ear drum out. Also, if you have it in speaker the other party HAS to hear it as loud as it is. I use the phone in speaker mode more often than not.

BigTex71

Reaction score
Also, if you have it in speaker the other party HAS to hear it as loud as it is. I use the phone in speaker mode more often than not.

Not necessarily, the phone does a decent job at noise cancellation with its 2nd N-C mic.

JimmyD

Reaction score
In the future, you could always lower the Navigation Volume before placing your call.

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
Also, if you have it in speaker the other party HAS to hear it as loud as it is. I use the phone in speaker mode more often than not.

Not necessarily, the phone does a decent job at noise cancellation with its 2nd N-C mic.

We're not talking about noise here. It's a audible voice that's even closer to the phone than the source of your voice.

In the future, you could always lower the Navigation Volume before placing your call.

Does this option exist within the Google Maps menu somewhere?

JimmyD

Reaction score

(EDIT.... I'm not sure if it's on a "menu" per'se... however....)

Yes. I found it accidentally one day while trying to lower the volume of my media player.

When you're in Navigation mode and it's up and running on screen (not in the background in other words) you can simply use the physical volume button on the side of your Droid to lower the volume of Ms.Happy-Navigation-Lady!

You can test this out yourself without even driving anywhere! Go into Navigation and set up a route. Then lower or raise the voluem with the volume button, even if the lady isn't babbling on...

You will see a pop-up volume slider bar that says Navigation Volume and the slider will move left or right as you lower or raise the volume with the button.

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score

(EDIT.... I'm not sure if it's on a "menu" per'se... however....)

Yes. I found it accidentally one day while trying to lower the volume of my media player.

When you're in Navigation mode and it's up and running on screen (not in the background in other words) you can simply use the physical volume button on the side of your Droid to lower the volume of Ms.Happy-Navigation-Lady!

You can test this out yourself without even driving anywhere! Go into Navigation and set up a route. Then lower or raise the voluem with the volume button, even if the lady isn't babbling on...

You will see a pop-up volume slider bar that says Navigation Volume and the slider will move left or right as you lower or raise the volume with the button.

I'll try it out. Thanks!

xliderider

Reaction score
Opinion is split over whether it is better to get lost or have your call interrupted by Ms. Robotic Voice.

you can simply use the physical volume button on the side of your Droid to lower the volume of Ms.Happy-Navigation-Lady!

Google definitely needs to change the Navigation voice to something less robotic and harsh sounding. ;)

The one plus over my Garmin Nuvi GPS is that when you deviate from the route using Google Navigation, the voice doesn't say Rerouting/Recalculating or whatever. That gets really annoying, especially if you are taking a different route than the displayed route intentionally.

BigTex71

Reaction score
We're not talking about noise here. It's a audible voice that's even closer to the phone than the source of your voice.

I know that. The Droid is aware of what sounds it is putting out of the speaker and can cancel it. That is how I don't get feedback when cranking up the volume while running my phone through the car speakers. Otherwise, it would be feeding the phone caller's voice coming through the car speakers back to the caller. And it does a great job of canceling that data out.

Last edited:
OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
Google definitely needs to change the Navigation voice to something less robotic and harsh sounding. ;)

The one plus over my Garmin Nuvi GPS is that when you deviate from the route using Google Navigation, the voice doesn't say Rerouting/Recalculating or whatever. That gets really annoying, especially if you are taking a different route than the displayed route intentionally.

I think it's Ford that paid Snoop Dogg to do the voice for their new nav systems. That should be cool.

BigTex71

Reaction score

I think it's Ford that paid Snoop Dogg to do the voice for their new nav systems. That should be cool.

..."Take a rizzle at the next strizzle, then you there, #@%*!"