Very Annoyed (Froyo)

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by Ralffers, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ralffers

Ralffers New Member

The release of android 2.2 - Froyo just keeps on getting pushed back, & than pushed back some more [for the X], & its really starting to anger me to no end. First it was July, then sometime in August - and now its September... Normally I wouldn't care & would just wait patiently, but I hear that 2.2 improves battery life (for the X specifically). I don't understand why older phones are being given priority over newer & higher end models.
  2. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

each phone has its' own kernel and therefore needs it's own unique software update.

It'll come soon enough, they already took action about pulling the unofficial update :p
  3. crspang

crspang New Member

Welcome to the world of cell phone updates. The frustration you're experiencing is not exclusive to just you DX users. Just think how you're gonna feel when 3.0 is launched and 4 months later you still don't have it either.

Just go with the flow and you'll eventually get 2.2
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Let's see, the X came out I think around mid July, correct? Or was it mid June?

And you're annoyed because you haven't received an update on a phone that has only been out 2 and a half months maximum?

In the real world you're lucky if you get an update once a year, if at all on a smart phone. Blackberry Storm I got an actual release (not a leak) about once every 6 months. On my Droid they had an update in a months time (everyone hated it). Then people complained because they didn't get another update a month later. When they got it everyone hated it.

I say that with a bit of tongue and cheek because the internet makes it seem that way. Average users love the updates. My wife and brother both think Froyo is super.

I heard there were some testing issues in early August that slowed down the progress of the release. You want it in a hurry or do you want it done correctly?;)

Anyway, be careful what you ask for. You may get it. :D
  5. nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers New Member

With the problems that us Droid 1 users are having with it. Battery life problems, redraw issues, be glad they are taking their time. 2.2 isn't as polished as it could be in my opinion. That or it's really to big an update for too small of a phone. X may fair better in that regard then the original does.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  6. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

I don't agree with the update delay either but my veiw point is from a different angle, looking at the situation from the outside (having a 2.2 O/D) I can't see purchasing a device with 2.1 in general, much less making the purchase and then showing dissapointment towards Moto/Google/VZW for not pushing out an update yet. Everyone knows these things take time, I would rather wait for it to be done right, or just do it myself
  7. tony1208

tony1208 New Member

why don't you just root your x and put the leaked version on your x :) ....my battery last me about 35 hr with moderate use since froyo...no complaints here ...
  8. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I don't know, some people have this thing about voiding their warranties.:icon_eek:

If I had an X I wouldn't root it. Just be patient, there is no guarantee this leak is going to be the same as the released version.
  9. johaBBa

johaBBa New Member

I'm betting the release isn't going to be exactly the same as the leak. I'll definitely try the official 2.2 once it's out and a root is confirmed for it.

I've been running the leak with no issues. Full screen flash games/apps, free tethering, better battery, and better wifi make it worthwhile for me. If I need service/warranty, I can just flash it back to 2.1 stock.

If you really, really want 2.2 just go get it. It's around...It's easy...It works.
  10. ctxx24

ctxx24 New Member

2.2 on my x is great.. works great.. looks great.. never had a problem
  11. maxnicks

maxnicks New Member

Are you going to whine next year when the Droid 3 or 2x come out and you get the updates before they do? Pbly not.

Wouldn't it piss you off if next year the Droid 3 gets updates before you? Wouldn't you feel kind of cheated. After all, wouldn't you have been a loyal customer longer than the Droid 3 owner (not counting the phone upgrades).

Chill. You're going to get the update.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  12. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

One person does not make an update bad. Hell, I bet there are 10,000 happy froyo users for every unhappy user on the droid...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  13. luv2increase

luv2increase New Member

You've been drinking too much Kool-Aid I'm afraid.

2.2 Froyo has not been pushed back at all!

They have stated LATE SUMMER since the get-go. It stated that on the web, in their stores and in their press releases.

Summer starts June 21st and ends September 21st. In my opinion, late summer would be in the last 33% of the timeframe. Therefore, one would have expected that Froyo 2.2 would be released to the Droid X sometime between August 21st and September 21st.

What part of that do you not understand? :icon_eek:
  14. Stormchucker

Stormchucker New Member

And then what happens...?

Just got my new X and have spent 3 days building it's personality. What happens when the 2.2 upgrade hits? Will I have to practically rebuild the phone again ??? or will it be a seamless upgrade? This phone is awsome but it will be interesting to see what happens to it when 2.2 gets installed.
  15. luv2increase

luv2increase New Member

Nope. Nothing will change aesthetically. You will just got new functionality. You will get Flash 10.1. The phone will become quicker. The web browser is quicker. Oopps. The unlock screen does change its looks a bit. I forgot about that :)
  16. BOA

BOA New Member

Everyone needs to chill. The guy is just venting and it's his right to do so. I hate it too that it's not out but I did install the leaked version and then reverted back to 2.1 so I can relax a little now!

Let him vent and leave him be.
  17. luv2increase

luv2increase New Member

The fact of the matter is that there is no reason whatsoever to vent. It has been stated since the very beginning that 2.2 wouldn't be available until late Summer.

It is his fault if he is upset, because he chose to still purchase the Droid X knowing it would still be awhile yet until 2.2 was released.

What makes things worse is that there already is a leaked 2.2 out which works PERFECTLY. I am one of the ppl who are lucky and don't have any issues whatsoever with the regular rooted 2.2 and Tranquility ROM.

Deducing from this, the only people who need to chill is you and the OP. :)
  18. Hurtem

Hurtem New Member

You can easily download the leaked 2.2 and be satisfied. It works perfectly and the battery life is great. If you really ever need to take it back to Verizon I would not worry if they know about you rooting your phone. Most of the reps don't even know what root is..
  19. roach

roach Member

How do you think I fell,I sold my droid because the salesman at verizion told me that the droidx has the 2.2 update,if this update doesn't help with ringtones (to low) and battery life I am going to wait till november and buy the droid pro.
    mike a.:icon_evil:
  20. Ralffers

Ralffers New Member

I agree with what you're saying, & like I said, I wouldn't care for the update came - except that this one supposedly improves the battery life. And thus far, having to charge my phone any chance I get 3-4 times a day sucks donkey balls. So try to understand where I'm coming from.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.