version 7 where is V6

sugee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I have droid turbo V1 & just read that they are coming out with NOUGAT android 7
what happened to MARSHMALLOW
my phone which is one & a half yrs old is gong to be obsolete very soon

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Not sure exactly, but IMO one should never expect more than one major OS update per device. (especially on Droid branded phones) If You Care About Software Updates or Security, Stop Buying Motorola DROID Phones | Droid Life
The last couple of years, most Samsung, LG and of course Nexus devices have received 2 major updates, but Moto has always dragged their feet in this department.
That said, & to contradict myself, there HAS been word that the orig Turbo will receive the MM update, it's just that nobody knows exactly when.

In regards to your Turbo being "obsolete", well that's all marketing BS. If you consider the lack of future updates on your device as being "obsolete" than yeah, that's probably true. But in reality, your device is much more than an OS update or two. Being that most folks rarely use the majority of the new features that come with your average update, the term "obsolete" is only what you make it.
You have a very capable device which, if properly taken care of, will easily last you another 2-3 years without skipping a beat. (With only the battery life to give you problems during this time)
Smartphone manufacturers stopped providing replaceable batteries on newer devices because they know we're getting very close to reaching a plateau in terms of hardware & software capabilities. Financially speaking it's in their best interest for people to continue purchasing a new smartphone every 2 years, and the only way to do that is to implement planned obsolescence. This includes no more removable batteries and/or by making it extremely difficult to replace the battery. Along with no more OS updates and other hardware issues internally that could fail after 2-3 years.
Sure OS updates are nice and the misc new features are cool, but in reality your device will do everything you need it to do for many more years to come. IMHO, I wouldn't worry about getting MM on your a Turbo. Enjoy your device as is and revel in the fact that it's a well built quality piece of technology that will serve you well for as long as you have it as your DD. Aside from the forums, how often has someone come up to you on the street, or within your circle of friends & family, and asked you what OS version your device is on? For me personally it's extremely rare, and I have quite a few tech savvy family & friends. just sayin....
Ok, I'll stop rambling now.
Have a great 4th of July wknd!

S5 tap'n

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've yet to find something baked into a newer version of Android that there wasn't an aftermarket app similar to it, if not exactly like it.
When the device can't keep up with things because of lack of processor and/or RAM it's obsolete. Until then at worst it's just outdated.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

OP
sugee

sugee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Not sure exactly, but IMO one should never expect more than one major OS update per device. (especially on Droid branded phones) If You Care About Software Updates or Security, Stop Buying Motorola DROID Phones | Droid Life
The last couple of years, most Samsung, LG and of course Nexus devices have received 2 major updates, but Moto has always dragged their feet in this department.
That said, & to contradict myself, there HAS been word that the orig Turbo will receive the MM update, it's just that nobody knows exactly when.

In regards to your Turbo being "obsolete", well that's all marketing BS. If you consider the lack of future updates on your device as being "obsolete" than yeah, that's probably true. But in reality, your device is much more than an OS update or two. Being that most folks rarely use the majority of the new features that come with your average update, the term "obsolete" is only what you make it.
You have a very capable device which, if properly taken care of, will easily last you another 2-3 years without skipping a beat. (With only the battery life to give you problems during this time)
Smartphone manufacturers stopped providing replaceable batteries on newer devices because they know we're getting very close to reaching a plateau in terms of hardware & software capabilities. Financially speaking it's in their best interest for people to continue purchasing a new smartphone every 2 years, and the only way to do that is to implement planned obsolescence. This includes no more removable batteries and/or by making it extremely difficult to replace the battery. Along with no more OS updates and other hardware issues internally that could fail after 2-3 years.
Sure OS updates are nice and the misc new features are cool, but in reality your device will do everything you need it to do for many more years to come. IMHO, I wouldn't worry about getting MM on your a Turbo. Enjoy your device as is and revel in the fact that it's a well built quality piece of technology that will serve you well for as long as you have it as your DD. Aside from the forums, how often has someone come up to you on the street, or within your circle of friends & family, and asked you what OS version your device is on? For me personally it's extremely rare, and I have quite a few tech savvy family & friends. just sayin....

S5 tap'n

OP
sugee

sugee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo

S5 tap'n

thanks for your response and the information
I do I agree with you I love this phone and happy to keep it

Have a great 4th

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I tend to agree with @cr6 and @mountainbikermark. I would not consider the Turbo obsolete, even after Android N is released. Some people might, but I would not. Is Marshmallow nice? Sure, but there is nothing that my Turbo 2 can do on Marshmallow that my Turbo could not do on Lollipop. A good friend is going into his second year with his Turbo and it's still rock solid, great battery life still and does everything he asks it to do. The Turbo is still on Motorola's list of Marshmallow phones, but no one knows when that will happen.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree with @cr6 and @mountainbikermark. I would not consider the Turbo obsolete, even after Android N is released. Some people might, but I would not. Is Marshmallow nice? Sure, but there is nothing that my Turbo 2 can do on Marshmallow that my Turbo could not do on Lollipop. A good friend is going into his second year with his Turbo and it's still rock solid, great battery life still and does everything he asks it to do. The Turbo is still on Motorola's list of Marshmallow phones, but no one knows when that will happen.

My Galaxy Tab has Jelly Bean on it, Note2 has Jelly Bean on it, my Note8 has Kit Kat on it, my Note4 has Lollipop on it and they're all still quite relevant and useful to me. The Tab with its dual core and half gig of RAM is a little bit laggy when multitasking and Google Play turns it into a picture frame when updating apps so I'd consider it close to being obsolete for my purposes but my 8 year old, who uses it for Skype, YouTube and game playing finds it fine. Both my Rezound and Inc 1 got Verizon firmware updates that turned them into hand warming bricks so those I think everyone would consider obsolete.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Absolutely! That's why it hasn't bothered me that my S5 is still on KiKat. I have root and it runs great, so even though it's just over 2 years old, it does everything I need it to do ATM. That and I'm trying to start my own business so my priorities money wise need to be focused on that and not a shiny new device that had the latest OS.... No matter how badly I want one!

S5 tap'n

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Absolutely! That's why it hasn't bothered me that my S5 is still on KiKat. I have root and it runs great, so even though it's just over 2 years old, it does everything I need it to do ATM. That and I'm trying to start my own business so my priorities money wise need to be focused on that and not a shiny new device that had the latest OS.... No matter how badly I want one!

S5 tap'n
That's my thing. A 5 year old tablet is still fine though the battery life is down about half what it was when new, a 4 year old phone is still snappy and useful as a Wi-Fi only device and would be what I use if I switched back to Verizon or T-Mobile, a 3 year old tablet is my go to when this almost 2 year old phone screen size isn't quite big enough because allergies are kicking the crap out of my eyesight . My daughter pretty much owns my G2, which is the fastest real time results device I've got or ever had, so I don't think I'd ever get that back. It is also Lollipop. I use an app to mimic the screen off tap on my Samsung devices and also have Nova set to a double tap of the home button sleeps them or a single tap wakes them in case I don't feel like tapping the invisible widget on the screen. That's just 1 example of an aftermarket app that does what baked in features provide in newer versions of Android. I had that screen off app before the G2 anyway so it wasn't a new thing to me when LG added it to their overwrite of Android.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

OP
sugee

sugee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
as not being to knowledgeable about phones I thought I was missing something
but with this phone I guess I guess I have everything I need
thanks all you made me feel better :rolleyes:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
as not being to knowledgeable about phones I thought I was missing something
but with this phone I guess I guess I have everything I need
thanks all you made me feel better :rolleyes:
If the phone is working fine and doing everything you want it to do, and you still like it then it will never be obsolete. If you are happy with it right now, that's really all that matters. Major OS updates are nice sometimes, but there are plenty of apps that can do most of the new functions that come with a new OS update.