Verizon's sending me a new D1..

Ataranine

Reaction score
Well I called Verizon today about the problems I've been having with my second Droid 1..
Told the lady it was overheating sometimes, almost burning my ear.. she CUT ME OFF WHILE TALKING and told me she'd send me a new one TOMORROW before 3 PM...

She made it clear that it'd be a like-new replacement, therefore I guess I won't be lucking out and getting a Droid 2 in the mail like everyone else seems to be claiming. :( And yes, I'm under warranty.
Oh well, this will be my third Droid, so it'll inevitably have problems too just like my last two, and I'll be taking it back also..
I can already see the keyboard problems coming..

Hell, my keyboard got even worse since last night.. the plastic is raised so far up from the keys, it's starting to effect the sliding mechanism. It has also made using the space bar pretty much impossible...\

And if anyone's interested in knowing, I'm not running what's in my sig anymore. I'm using Stock Froyo from Verizon. Been using it since early yesterday. I unrooted my phone in preparation for taking it back to the store sometime this week.

Figured I'd rant or something... sorry if I wasted anyone's time. :(

Last edited:

danwanna

Reaction score
It is funny how different the experiences are location by location. I stopped in yesterday with some weird lockup issues and the tech didn't even look at my phone. He said that he was authorized to send me a new Droid 2 as a replacement. He said I should have it in 2 days.

I restored my phone to stock and removed root before I went in but it appears that I didn't even need to do that...

OP
A

Ataranine

Reaction score
It is funny how different the experiences are location by location. I stopped in yesterday with some weird lockup issues and the tech didn't even look at my phone. He said that he was authorized to send me a new Droid 2 as a replacement. He said I should have it in 2 days.

I restored my phone to stock and removed root before I went in but it appears that I didn't even need to do that...
You lucky bastard. :(

gmorgan056

Reaction score

Seriously, when I called about my second one, they told me they'd be sending a new one. well when the delivery date came and went plus one day, I called customer service. Turns out the rep whom I spoke with didn't even place the order. Then the rep who i was currently speaking too told me they didn't have any new D1's and had to place an order on back order and refused to give me anything but that.

OP
A

Ataranine

Reaction score
it'll inevitably have problems too just like my last two, and I'll be taking it back also
How do you know that?
Both the Droids I've had have had the same keyboard issue and problems with the back of the phone getting really hot. This one will too. If not the heat problem, then definitely the keyboard.

OP
A

Ataranine

Reaction score

Seriously, when I called about my second one, they told me they'd be sending a new one. well when the delivery date came and went plus one day, I called customer service. Turns out the rep whom I spoke with didn't even place the order. Then the rep who i was currently speaking too told me they didn't have any new D1's and had to place an order on back order and refused to give me anything but that.
Yeah the lady I talked to told me the Droids were on "back-order"..so they have more now...apparently... not new ones, but they have some...

gmorgan056

Reaction score

Yeah the lady I talked to told me the Droids were on "back-order"..so they have more now...apparently... not new ones, but they have some...

Yeah they have refurbished ones. I'm sorry, I paid quite a bit of money for my D1 when it came out, I don't want a refurbished phone. So that's what I told them. That's why it's on back order.

OP
A

Ataranine

Reaction score

Yeah they have refurbished ones. I'm sorry, I paid quite a bit of money for my D1 when it came out, I don't want a refurbished phone. So that's what I told them. That's why it's on back order.
Oh well, I guess I'll use this "new" one for a little while until the keyboard on it f**ks up too...then I'll return it.
I've had to use the on-screen keyboard for the longest time because the physical one is just all screwed up..that's why I want a Droid X cause it's thinner and has Swype.

r314bd

Reaction score
Both the Droids I've had have had the same keyboard issue and problems with the back of the phone getting really hot. This one will too. If not the heat problem, then definitely the keyboard.

The keyboard issue is a result of the heat...the plastic pieces warp over time. Take some measures to control the heat:
-run TempMonitor and set it to notify you if the temp rises above, say, 104F
-Don't overclock to outrageous frequencies
-Limit the number of processor intensive activities
-Keep it in a cool environment

I had overheating issues too, especially in my car. I had a car dock mounted to my windshield so the sun would be directly hitting my Droid for extended periods of time...eventually it would stop charging. I installed TempMonitor and saw that it was getting as hot as 140-150F, so now I keep my front defogger on max cool so it never goes above ~110F

Just an example...but if you want to keep running custom ROMs at 1.25GHz you should take measures to control the heat.

fichdak

Reaction score
it'll inevitably have problems too just like my last two, and I'll be taking it back also
How do you know that?

Errr the heat is a rom- and kernel-specific issue... you can't blame the phone when it gets hot after overclocking it to 1.25ghz. Pick a different rom, a lower voltage kernel and only clock it at 1ghz or so.

OP
A

Ataranine

Reaction score
How do you know that?

Errr the heat is a rom- and kernel-specific issue... you can't blame the phone when it gets hot after overclocking it to 1.25ghz. Pick a different rom, a lower voltage kernel and only clock it at 1ghz or so.
I said in my post, I'm not rooted or overclocked anymore, and my phone got the hottest it's ever been earlier today. Besides, I used a LV kernel and never ran it over 800MHz.

fichdak

Reaction score

I said in my post, I'm not rooted or overclocked anymore, and my phone got the hottest it's ever been earlier today. Besides, I used a LV kernel and never ran it over 800MHz.

Sorry. I was going by your signature.

..which I see you've changed

OP
A

Ataranine

Reaction score

Sorry. I was going by your signature.

..which I see you've changed
Figured I'd change it so as not to confuse anyone else.

r314bd

Reaction score
Well I too have a Droid, running FRG22D, stock kernel @ 600MHz with SetCPU...and it doesn't overheat at all. So not all Droids experience the problems you mention. Third one may be the charm.