Verizon's Samsung Galaxy Nexus Now Free With Two Year Contract

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
RyanPm40 said:
Yeah, I'm aware, but I've kind of come to terms with it. I know I won't be able to afford a phone at full retail price for the next 3 years while I'm still in college. I only make enough to pay my car bills, gas and data plan, with a very little amount of cash on top of it.

Anyone think this deal is worth it? My TB has been having a lot of bugs lately and I'm kind of bored with it now. Free sounds good, and I have friends with 2GB data plans who never go near their data cap (My friend used Pandora for an entire 17 hour car drive without going near his data cap on his iPhone, anyway). How fast does LTE eat away at data? Also, I use Google Music in my car every day so I am a bit worried at how that would affect my data..

I can't afford more than the 30 a month I'm paying, though, and even though I use Wi-Fi on my phone the entire time I'm home, it just occurred to me that at my college, I have no way of connecting to wifi on my phone, so hopefully that doesn't get me into trouble.

You could save the money you save by keeping unlimited data and buy a phone from Craigslist or ebay.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
But.. I won't be saving any money.. because either way, I will be paying $30 a month. I can't afford more than that, so I would have to keep 2GB a month. I only have a job during the summer that is only enough to pay for my car bills and data plan, and then during school I have a work study just to pay for gas (my dad is nice enough to cover my car insurance and data plan during college).

WestOkid

Reaction score
I really want this phone, but I am not ready for an upgrade until Aug 28. If I use verizon I can upgrade today, but it is still 99.99 there. Any ideas on a way around this?

Not sure how you can upgrade at Verizon and not Bestbuy "today". I already said they have the same upgrade policy. I did an early upgrade for my RAZR in November when contract was up in December.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

QElliott17

Reaction score
WestOkid said:
Not sure how you can upgrade at Verizon and not Bestbuy "today". I already said they have the same upgrade policy. I did an early upgrade for my RAZR in November when contract was up in December.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I talked to verizon and best buy. I can upgrade through verizon but everything else says aug 28. The guy at best buy said I could do 7 days early. Not sure what the deal is.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I talked to verizon and best buy. I can upgrade through verizon but everything else says aug 28. The guy at best buy said I could do 7 days early. Not sure what the deal is.

that's really odd, I've bought my last four phones at bestbuy, I got tired of the corporate stores and the guy I knew there left the company or moved stores or something.

either way, best buy has always been better to me, I also get the sell back thingy they offer, I've used it before to get a guaranteed 50% return on my phone purchase price within six months, which I then used to get a phone off of ebay for roughly what I got back.

it may be more work, but I've saved hundreds and I upgrade like every six months.

QElliott17

Reaction score
liftedplane said:
that's really odd, I've bought my last four phones at bestbuy, I got tired of the corporate stores and the guy I knew there left the company or moved stores or something.

either way, best buy has always been better to me, I also get the sell back thingy they offer, I've used it before to get a guaranteed 50% return on my phone purchase price within six months, which I then used to get a phone off of ebay for roughly what I got back.

it may be more work, but I've saved hundreds and I upgrade like every six months.

That's funny that you say that, 2 of the 4 people I talked to at verizon tried to sway me away from best buy. "They are a third party, you'd be under contract with them as well, and you'd go to them for warrenty." Which I thought good, the verizon wirelss stores suck anyway. Haha

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's funny that you say that, 2 of the 4 people I talked to at verizon tried to sway me away from best buy. "They are a third party, you'd be under contract with them as well, and you'd go to them for warrenty." Which I thought good, the verizon wirelss stores suck anyway. Haha

Funny those corporate idiots are lying...

I had a vzw rep at best buy, who works for vzw tell me specifically that best buy was the better place to buy your phone.

You can go to corporate stores if you buy at best buy

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Everyone always talks about how the IPhone cost carriers more (because of a higher subsidy, perhaps as much as $50 and some lost revenue from bloat). But you don't see IPhones offered free anywhere near as often as [recently] top Android phones.

The Android OEM's must operate differently, because I can't believe they consistently overrun and then have to dump inventory. I think the carriers and 3rd party retailers must order large quantities, and then occasionally dump obsolete inventory. Factor that in and the cost difference relative to the IPhone has to be a lot closer.

jaybogg

Reaction score
Everyone always talks about how the IPhone cost carriers more (because of a higher subsidy, perhaps as much as $50 and some lost revenue from bloat). But you don't see IPhones offered free anywhere near as often as [recently] top Android phones.

The Android OEM's must operate differently, because I can't believe they consistently overrun and then have to dump inventory. I think the carriers and 3rd party retailers must order large quantities, and then occasionally dump obsolete inventory. Factor that in and the cost difference relative to the IPhone has to be a lot closer.

I am sure that's how I wound up with a palm pre a few years back. Went into VZW and told saleslady my main need was tethering. She said she had just the phone. Free phone and the only model in store w/ free tethering. It perfectly matched my needs at the time, and they ditched a not so popular phone. I personally liked some of the features as palm was the granddaddy of swipes and gestures. Remember the Palm PDA's?:biggrin:

QElliott17

Reaction score
samsunggalaxynexus.jpg

Verizon's Samsung Galaxy Nexus has dropped in price once again and is now free with a two year contract from Best Buy until August 25th. It has only been a week since the Nexus dropped to $99.99 on Verizon's website, causing many to speculate that another Nexus device will be arriving soon. If you are in the market for a new device without a lot of up front cost, this is definitely a good choice. Check out Best Buy's website or visit them in-store to take advantage of the deal.

Source: Phone Arena

Where did you get this Aug 25th date from? The sign in my store said 8.18. I have an upgrade on the 28th, they said I could upgrade on the 21st, which works with your date, but not with the in store date. Thanks