Verizon's Samsung Fascinate Finally Gets Froyo Update

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon_samsung_fascinate.jpg

Samsung Fascinate owners can rejoice. Their phone can get the Froyo update starting today! Below is a download link if you want to do it manually yourself, and some instructions to go with it. Enjoy!
  1. Download the file from the mirror... and make sure it’s named update.zip. Make sure it’s not update.zip.zip (in case your Windows is set to hide file extensions).
  2. Copy it to your Fascinate’s SD card using any method you fancy.
  3. Reboot the phone and hold VolUp+VolDn+Power while booting it back up.
  4. You should see the Samsung logo. You can now let go.
  5. At this point, you should be in recovery. Use volume buttons to navigate and Home to select.
  6. Scroll down to Apply sdcard:update.zip and select it.
  7. Watch the magic happen.
  8. Congratulations, you should now have Froyo on your Fascinate.

AndroidPolice Samsung Fascinate Froyo Manual Update Download Link
Source: AndroidPolice

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
LOL, 'bout time!
I know what brand of phone I'm NOT going to be purchasing next. :)

jdm65

Reaction score
Update went great---now I cannot find my browser bookmarks. You can save a bookmark but I have no idea where it is going---anyone know?

funwheeldrive

Reaction score
My girlfriend just updated. I told her she would probably have froyo in December. Samsung would need to do a lot to get me to buy one of their phones after this.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
lol what a joke, DX and DI are slated for GB and they just now getting froyo, lame... Never, ever, ever will I buy samsung until they prove they will update phones.

Reaction score
I just heard about this from my buddy. Cause I've been teaching him how to work custom roms and themes and do other mods, which has been fun cause I've never got to use a phone with an unlocked bootloader before. But anyways, he called me all freaking out cause he found out the OTA update for froyo was available but it wouldn't let him get it. So I had to explain to him over the phone how to restore a nandroid backup and un-root his phone, which was very frustrating since he's not very tech savy and sucks at following verbal directions. I still can't believe their are people without froyo out there. It'd very sad lol

Sent using my Droid X, Powered by Rubix Focused 2.0.1

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Froyo update??? I've been enjoying Gingerbread on my Droid 1 for a while now. Samsung can eat their stale Froyo until they get sick on it. Lame slackers.

Yakuzagang5

Reaction score
What yall are forgetting, is that the majority of the people who were still on 2.1, either dont know what 2.2 means, or dont care, and the ones who like to mess with phones, are on CM 6 or 7 or a GB rom or w/e, and are at the same place as the droid X, droid 2, etc.

Releasing of factory updates really doesnt matter at all to the rooting community, so basing a decision to buy the phone because of it doesnt make sense.

Just sayin :p

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
What yall are forgetting, is that the majority of the people who were still on 2.1, either dont know what 2.2 means, or dont care, and the ones who like to mess with phones, are on CM 6 or 7 or a GB rom or w/e, and are at the same place as the droid X, droid 2, etc.

Releasing of factory updates really doesnt matter at all to the rooting community, so basing a decision to buy the phone because of it doesnt make sense.

Just sayin :p

You bring up a good point. However, I personally based my decision not to buy a Samsung partially on how long it took them to roll out this OTA and partially because of the complications I've seen my boss go through with his Epic, after upgrading to Froyo back in February. Their general lack of support as well as their extremely delayed release of a major update to the Android OS is discouraging.