verizons plan to eliminate unlimited data

nikecar

Reaction score
zomnomnombie said:
Share plans are better for people wanting to have multiple devices. Instead of having to pay for multiple contracts you just pay the $10-$30 for the access fee onto your $100 plan. Which does save some people money. I personally do not save money by switching. That's why I'm keeping mine.
$200 subsidized device or free depending on a $30 data plan vs $500 and a $10 or $20 monthly fee on top of your data doesnt seem like it saves anyone.

Beka27

Reaction score
What I don't understand is why they didn't make tiered/family share plans EXTREMELY attractive to lure more people away from their unlimited (and new customers away from other carriers), at least for a couple years, and THEN raised prices. We personally don't need unlimited. With two smartphones we go thru less than 4gb a month. I've said many times that sharing data is an awesome idea. But they missed the mark on their pricing. Either the access fees should have been lower ($20 for SP, $10 for FP) OR the data "buckets" should have been lower ($30 for 2gb, $40 for 3, etc...)

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
Well, It's been kind of obvious for awhile that VZW will phase out unlimited data...there's no real profit in it for them. They've already stopped new customers from getting it (last year), only allowing "grandfathered" clients to hold on to it. Now (June 28), they've stopped grandfathered, subsidized clients from doing it. Right now, no one can BUY an unlimited plan, they can only renew it by paying full retail price for a new phone, meaning the CLIENT is subsidizing unlimited data!
So, unlimited data will stay profitable for VZW for awhile, since the client is paying for it. But sure, at some point in the future, they can simply say, "Well, unlimited data is proving to be a huge drain on our resources and thus a drain on our ability to service our customers, so as of August 1, 2014 (or 2013, or even 2012), we will automatically convert users of unlimited data to a 4 GB plan, at a reduced rate (or not)...blah blah.
They can do this at any time, so let's just enjoy UD while we've got it. I've never expected to keep UD indefinitely. Someday, it's going to go away, and you can cuss and threaten to leave Verizon and go to Change.org all you want...but consider this: How many times has Verizon changed ANYTHING because of customer protest? Not a long list, I'll bet.

Caesars

Reaction score
Looking at how good no contract hardware selection and monthly rates are now, I'm no doubt going contract free next time around.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

nikecar

Reaction score
Jmoore1701 said:
Well, It's been kind of obvious for awhile that VZW will phase out unlimited data...there's no real profit in it for them. They've already stopped new customers from getting it (last year), only allowing "grandfathered" clients to hold on to it. Now (June 28), they've stopped grandfathered, subsidized clients from doing it. Right now, no one can BUY an unlimited plan, they can only renew it by paying full retail price for a new phone, meaning the CLIENT is subsidizing unlimited data!
So, unlimited data will stay profitable for VZW for awhile, since the client is paying for it. But sure, at some point in the future, they can simply say, "Well, unlimited data is proving to be a huge drain on our resources and thus a drain on our ability to service our customers, so as of August 1, 2014 (or 2013, or even 2012), we will automatically convert users of unlimited data to a 4 GB plan, at a reduced rate (or not)...blah blah.
They can do this at any time, so let's just enjoy UD while we've got it. I've never expected to keep UD indefinitely. Someday, it's going to go away, and you can cuss and threaten to leave Verizon and go to Change.org all you want...but consider this: How many times has Verizon changed ANYTHING because of customer protest? Not a long list, I'll bet.

I'm staying off wifi to get my money's worth now.

goaliemn

Reaction score
I'm staying off wifi to get my money's worth now.

If anything that may accelerate the end of unlimited. If they see lots of people devouring lots of bandwidth they'll want to get rid of it sooner. Use wifi and save the data for when you really need it.

My 2¢

Beka27

Reaction score
If anything that may accelerate the end of unlimited. If they see lots of people devouring lots of bandwidth they'll want to get rid of it sooner. Use wifi and save the data for when you really need it.

My 2¢

Even if I'm on network exclusively, I doubt I'll be using more than 3 or 4gb a month. Skipping the wifi won't cause VZW to freak, at least for me. I'm not one of those 30gb a month people.

nikecar

Reaction score

My 2¢

They are already sucking up ways to shaft us, and i'm sure folks will see it gone by the time my renewal is up in 2 yrs. That said, I generally use wifi at work and home and already have 4.5GB (which is the 2nd most i've ever used) on my last day of my cycle.

So since I expect UD to be gone, I won't bother conserving or anything. If you use 10GB on a 10GB plan and I use 5GB on an unlimited, the only difference is that Verizon will want the extra $$ from what you pay and I pay and will figure out a way to get it. i'm not taxing the network more than you, but I'm paying less.

It wouldn't matter if I use 1GB or 50. the 1GB plan is more than I pay so even if I used less, they'd want me to pay more for the priviledge.

Warbucks79

Reaction score
I just upgraded yesterday from Thunderbolt to a Droid Razr. The rep told me since I was upgrading I had to drop my unlimited plan and swap to the 2G or above plan. Onll way I could keep my unlimited was to purchase the new phone at full retail price.:mad:

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When you boil it all off and put it in a nutshell, Big Red is a business. It's all about the billions. That's all they are concerned with. I'm going to buy another Razr Maxx off Craigslist for a backup. When they force me off unlimited, they have forced me to another carrier. Simple as that. :p

comk4ver

Reaction score
I agree with you since Verizon won't be carrying a nexus device any more it'll end up being the same thing in the end except I'll go to T-Mobile because I will be able to get unlimited everything for$50 and a subsidized nexus phone my only concern will be then using minutes when using Wi-Fi to make calls. :-\
MattyP said:
When you boil it all off and put it in a nutshell, Big Red is a business. It's all about the billions. That's all they are concerned with. I'm going to buy another Razr Maxx off Craigslist for a backup. When they force me off unlimited, they have forced me to another carrier. Simple as that. :p