Verizon's New Upgrade Fees Starting Next Week [Rumor]

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
When I go wilderness camping, we don't take phones.
#Men
Sitting around a campfire drinking beer and farting isn't the same thing as running muddy/rocky/streams/snow covered/etc trails. Things break and happen really quick. Falling down when you're fatigued happens a lot.

Come running with me one weekend then see if you still think it's #men who do this.

Powarun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Shoddy service in the middle of nowhere really makes you question paying for cell phone bills. I can say a lot of places in the middle of Wisconsin, Verizon isn't all its cracked up to be, and so far US Cellular has done a great job filling in the dead zones I had with Verizon. Shoddy service from the big 4 is how my work sells voip phone service to the weekenders. Worst part about this is that it screws customer loyalty. Hey I want to keep on you guys, okay, well give us more money to do it.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last Saturday to CVNP. We are trail runners so it's every weekend.
Is someone with you on T-Mobile? I'm not quite clear on how you're checking the T-Mobile coverage real world signal with a Verizon phone.
You don't need to hot wire a tree. I carry a whistle when kayaking in case something goes bad. I also carry a fire starter kit (flint and steel) in my dry bag in case things go bad and I need to make a signal fire for smoke and/heat. It's smaller than the remote fob on a keychain.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Is someone with you on T-Mobile? I'm not quite clear on how you're checking the T-Mobile coverage real world signal with a Verizon phone.
You don't need to hot wire a tree. I carry a whistle when kayaking in case something goes bad. I also carry a fire starter kit (flint and steel) in my dry bag in case things go bad and I need to make a signal fire for smoke and/heat. It's smaller than the remote fob on a keychain.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
Yes. 3 of us have different providers. We use our phones for GPS tracking and safety. I'm not sure many people will hear a whistle where we are at most of the time, maybe but I'd rather not test it. Someone broke their tibia going up a hill.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Sitting around a campfire drinking beer and farting isn't the same thing as running muddy/rocky/streams/snow covered/etc trails. Things break and happen really quick. Falling down when you're fatigued happens a lot.

Come running with me one weekend then see if you still think it's #men who do this.

First of all I hate running and I don't trust people who think that's fun. Sorry pal.
And please Mr. Fit Guy, join me on a 80 Mile wilderness canoe trip with portages of up to 2 miles where you must carry every single piece of gear you need for 7 days in Temagmi, Algonquin, or the Adirondacks. Then talk to me about running through the woods for a few hours in ... Mohican....

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Boys this is about Verizon, not about size of the "trail or creek"

But I'm a firm believer in safety, and communication.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Not even Verizon can cover where we go. How's that Efin? :D

(Hey, we're allowed to go OP and mess with each other. 'Stang and me are cool).

/EDIT/ And it's Lakes, Streams and Rivers. Rarely Creeks. ;)

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
First of all I hate running and I don't trust people who think that's fun. Sorry pal.
And please Mr. Fit Guy, join me on a 80 Mile wilderness canoe trip with portages of up to 2 miles where you must carry every single piece of gear you need for 7 days in Temagmi, Algonquin, or the Adirondacks. Then talk to me about running through the woods for a few hours in ... Mohican....
I grew up near the Adirondacks. I've canoed loon lake, Tupper, Indian and a couple numbered lakes. Hiking and fishing was a big part of those too.

A few hours of running for me but my friends are ultra runners. 100 milers are nothing to them.

Man I miss NY some days. I need to go back up there when I'm home in April.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Boys this is about Verizon, not about size of the "trail or creek"

But I'm a firm believer in safety, and communication.

It's about not having connectivity in nature which is great but sometimes you just need to phone a friend(err Ranger station).

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Not even Verizon can cover where we go. How's that Efin? :D

(Hey, we're allowed to go OP and mess with each other. 'Stang and me are cool).

/EDIT/ And it's Lakes, Streams and Rivers. Rarely Creeks. ;)
Trails and creeks was a unit of measure... and yes, even Verizon doesn't go everywhere, but it has closer POC's to the wilderness of SoKal which I frequent. But I do have a PPU phone on ATT for one area in particular, no text, data, just the connection to authorities should he!! break loose...

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Have sat phones gotten smaller? Last one I used was a 1990s brick style. And expensive.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
ONLY a sat phone would work when we go. Any serious trouble and it's signal fire time. Knock on wood in 17 years, nothing too serious has happened.
There are some smaller ones today.

Little Tupper to the Upper Oswegatchie! YES! One of my favorite trips! Also the one with the 2 mile portage.... *shudder*

OK, sorry. Back On Topic...

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
ONLY a sat phone would work when we go. Any serious trouble and it's signal fire time. Knock on wood in 17 years, nothing too serious has happened.
There are some smaller ones today.

Little Tupper to the Upper Oswegatchie! YES! One of my favorite trips! Also the one with the 2 mile portage.... *shudder*

OK, sorry. Back On Topic...
The worse fire in SDiego County history was started by a guy that got lost, some $27+ million in cost. Not saying you'd be stupid like this guy, but if he had a cell phone, he was in a covered area, there wouldn't have been the devastation incurred.

Satellite phones, I believe I've seen them for less than $500, and they're much smaller, actually be an easy package to carry in the 72 hr pack...

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The worse fire in SDiego County history was started by a guy that got lost, some $27+ million in cost. Not saying you'd be stupid like this guy, but if he had a cell phone, he was in a covered area, there wouldn't have been the devastation incurred.

Satellite phones, I believe I've seen them for less than $500, and they're much smaller, actually be an easy package to carry in the 72 hr pack...

And I'll bet you don't have to pay $20-$40 to activate it.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><