Verizon's New Upgrade Fees Starting Next Week [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
leaked-vzw-doc-mar-2016.jpg

If this leaked internal document is the real deal, then those execs over at Big Red have gone "fee happy." While one could argue Verizon execs were already infected with that particular disease a long time ago, it seems to be in its most advanced stages now. As you can see from the image above, starting on April 4th, Verizon will charge a ton of different "upgrade fees," for a wide range of situations.

We will have the following (some of which may already have been in place):
  • 2-Year Upgrade Fee = $40
  • Device Payment Fee = $20
  • Retail Price Fee = $20
  • Device Payment Annual Upgrade Fee = $20
  • iPhone Upgrade Program at Apple Store Fee = $20
  • Customer Provided Equipment (ESN Change) = $0 (thank goodness for small favors)
These fees are so creative they seem a bit bonkers. Frankly, we wouldn't be surprised if Verizon one day actually charges a Special Assessment Fee for Having to Charge Extra Fees Fee. o_O

Source: PhoneArena

Powarun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Wow, that is fee happy. Kind of glad I had to get off of them.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Still blows my mind that they advertise a $70 plan for shared everything, and then slap you with a monthly fee of $40 for OWNING a smartphone, despite that $70 data plan being unusable without one.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
So I have to pay another $20 on top of retail price if I buy from them....ridiculous.

I'll stick to Swappa like I did with my Note 5. I have a feeling alot of the reps will be waiving this fee cause it's so ridiculous. There really is no reason to buy from Verizon anymore other than convenience if they're gonna slap on another $20.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I got a letter in the mail last week regarding my insurance plan. Rate is going up 1.67 a month and my deductible is going from 99 to $149. Guess I'll be looking into Squaretrade to see what they offer.
As for most of the others, I'm not concerned. If you're a long time customer in good standing, they will waive those fees if you ask them to.
But yeah, it's getting outta control! (Just not enough for me to leave them)

S5 tap'n

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I did SqTrade on the wife's iPhone, and probably will on my next one too. Asurion was great on my last issue on the S5, but that's outrageous, the SqT was $99 with $50 deductible, usable 4 times... Just not covered for loss like the Big V coverage.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Big Red Schmucks! Gotta pad that $4bill a QUARTER profit at our expense. Thanks

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can't believe this. Has to be an early April Fools Day prank.

Too much like the taxes in the early 80s Popeye movie to be real.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
So what if you just come in to purchase a device at full retail without any upgrade? Say...its a gift?

I'm surprised they don't have cover charge just to enter their building.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised that there aren't fees charged for charging these fees and some sort of specialized lookup fee just for looking up your account as well as an account maintenance fee tacked on while they are looking at your account.

hope big red doesn't get any ideas from me here.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm a bit surprised that there aren't fees charged for charging these fees and some sort of specialized lookup fee just for looking up your account as well as an account maintenance fee tacked on while they are looking at your account.

hope big red doesn't get any ideas from me here.
Hah hope not.

Though their next fee could be "loyal customer fee"

pchain

Reaction score
I think adding a fee for customers who read the complete list of fees would be in order here. This of course would be after they charge you a different fee for putting the fee list together to begin with. And if you question any fees on the list, they will fine you. And when they fine you they will tack on a fine processing fee.

loki993

Reaction score
If this is true all it will do is make people buy from other sources, doesnt make very good business sense in my opinion.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If this is true all it will do is make people buy from other sources, doesnt make very good business sense in my opinion.
I disagree. I think the average consumer will either suck it up and pay the fees, or wait even longer to upgrade. You have to remember that people like us here on these forums are NOT the average consumer.

That said, I bought my current phone direct from Huawei and will look for alternative buying options when it's time to upgrade.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Sadly this is not just a rumor.
uploadfromtaptalk1459344065814.jpg

Verizon acquired AOL. They've got to pay for it somehow. Just like AT&T added back in the $15 upgrade fee after they acquired DirecTV.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk