Verizon's New Data Plans & Unlimited Grandfathered Reaffirmed in Training Doc Leak

fly2hip8

Reaction score
Yea, I just chatted with verizon. I have to have a smartphone in order to be "Grandfathered" in. Verizon is starting to piss me off. :icon_evil:

Buy something like a Droid Eris (they're starting to get cheap), switch over to unlimited so you'll get grandfathered it and then use your upgrade when it comes.

But, if i buy that then i will lose my upgrade on that one, correct?

linkboy

Reaction score
But, if i buy that then i will lose my upgrade on that one, correct?

You shouldn't. I bought a BB Storm off of Ebay, took it into Verizon and switched to it, then used my early upgrade to get my Droid.

The only way you could lose your upgrade is if you actually go through Verizon for your phone. Since you didn't get it from them, you should be good.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
yeah go through ebay or craigslist for a cheap smartphone and use that til something you like comes around. My girlfriend did just that (granted for a phone she did want and still uses - the shift 4G) and retained her upgrade for next year, effectively saved her 350 bucks and a year to upgrade :D

fly2hip8

Reaction score
I just went and bought a BB storm, on ebay, to tide me over til Bionic comes out, if it does ever come out.

Thank you all for your help, it is much appreicated. :)

Neonknight

Reaction score
I am due for a new phone July 10!! I am glad I read this. Am wanting an X2.

I just went to Verizon and upgraded to an unlimited data package on my old feature phone. LOL!!!! I have never used a KB of data on it.

fly2hip8

Reaction score

I just went to Verizon and upgraded to an unlimited data package on my old feature phone. LOL!!!! I have never used a KB of data on it.

You have to have the unlimited data plan on a smartphone. When u go into get ur new phone you will get tiered data pricing, not the unlimited plan. It doens't work with a feature phone. Read the last 5 or 6 posts.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Unlimited on a featurephone won't get you grandfathered in. It has to be a smartphone. I suggest you buy a cheap one off eBay or craigslist now until you get your X2 because if you wait until then, it will be too late.

fly2hip8

Reaction score

Unlimited on a featurephone won't get you grandfathered in. It has to be a smartphone. I suggest you buy a cheap one off eBay or craigslist now until you get your X2 because if you wait until then, it will be too late.

You better hurry up too, shipping times with ebay can screw u over!

Neonknight

Reaction score

OK, I changed it back, but just out of curiosity, what is the source for this? I see nothing in the press release about having to have a smart phone. It just states that unlimited data plans will be grandfathered in.

I did see in the thread where somebody mentioned, and then everyone ran with it. How do we know this for sure? Is this a fact, or did someone just assume it?

fly2hip8

Reaction score

OK, I changed it back, but just out of curiosity, what is the source for this? I see nothing in the press release about having to have a smart phone. It just states that unlimited data plans will be grandfathered in.

I did see in the thread where somebody mentioned, and then everyone ran with it. How do we know this for sure? Is this a fact, or did someone just assume it?

My source for this info is the Kim, who i chatted with on verizonwireless.com earlier this morning

Neonknight

Reaction score
Perhaps I should just add a line now and get a new phone, and then drop this line when it expires.

fly2hip8

Reaction score
Perhaps I should just add a line now and get a new phone, and then drop this line when it expires.

Just go to ebay or craigslist and buy a cheap smartphone go to a verizon store and get unlimited data, and then you will be grandfathered in and you will still have your cheaper upgrade pricing

Neonknight

Reaction score

My source for this info is the Kim, who i chatted with on verizonwireless.com earlier this morning

OK, thanks.

I guess a new line it is then.

Neonknight

Reaction score
I actually added 2 new lines. LOL! Unlimited data on 2 phones. Glad I caught this. I assume I get it for at least 2 years (length of contract.)

My phone renewal date was the 10th, and I was planning on getting one then. I would have been up the proverbial creek by 3 days.

I got the X2 and the Dinc2. The Dinc2 was only a penny when adding a new line through Amazon. The upgrade would have been 99.99 without the new line, so that savings will cover much of the additional expense of having the extra line and connect fees. The X2 was still 119.99. So for $120 I got 2 pretty decent phones. Still have to pay for the other lines until Nov, but they are feature phones, so not really a lot of expense.

loki993

Reaction score
I actually added 2 new lines. LOL! Unlimited data on 2 phones. Glad I caught this. I assume I get it for at least 2 years (length of contract.)

My phone renewal date was the 10th, and I was planning on getting one then. I would have been up the proverbial creek by 3 days.

I got the X2 and the Dinc2. The Dinc2 was only a penny when adding a new line through Amazon. The upgrade would have been 99.99 without the new line, so that savings will cover much of the additional expense of having the extra line and connect fees. The X2 was still 119.99. So for $120 I got 2 pretty decent phones. Still have to pay for the other lines until Nov, but they are feature phones, so not really a lot of expense.

Did they let you upgrade the line that was upgreading on the 10th? I would assume with it being that close they would have been able to do soemthing for you.