Verizon's New Data Plans & Unlimited Grandfathered Reaffirmed in Training Doc Leak

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Beka27

Beka27 New Member

Most info is pointing to "no". You would need to already be on a smartphone with unl. data.
  2. Beka27

Beka27 New Member

I'm not sure how this is working with people who have expired contracts. I think since it's already on your line, you should be good... but I haven't seen anything say that specifically.

The leaked documents say that the data discount will only be available on the $50 5GB data plan and above, not on the $30 2GB plan... BUT since you already have unlimited AND are receiving that discount, I'm not sure if they can just take it off.

For your specific questions, have you tried calling a rep?
  3. dsakfong

dsakfong New Member

The Samsung Rogue is a "feature phone", not a smartphone. Upgrading from a feature, phone to a smartphone after the plan-change date will force you into tiered pricing.

I just upgraded my wife's amd daughter's Rogues into smartphones (iPhone & Inc2) to get in on unlimited... and may finally drop my land line + ld.

If you have your heart set on a bionic, you may be able to play the upgrade now, return later game but ymmv.

Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums
  4. fly2hip8

fly2hip8 New Member

Yea, I just chatted with verizon. I have to have a smartphone in order to be "Grandfathered" in. Verizon is starting to piss me off. :icon_evil:
  5. linkboy

linkboy New Member

Buy something like a Droid Eris (they're starting to get cheap), switch over to unlimited so you'll get grandfathered it and then use your upgrade when it comes.
  6. fly2hip8

fly2hip8 New Member

But, if i buy that then i will lose my upgrade on that one, correct?
  7. linkboy

linkboy New Member

You shouldn't. I bought a BB Storm off of Ebay, took it into Verizon and switched to it, then used my early upgrade to get my Droid.

The only way you could lose your upgrade is if you actually go through Verizon for your phone. Since you didn't get it from them, you should be good.
  8. kptphalkon

kptphalkon New Member

yeah go through ebay or craigslist for a cheap smartphone and use that til something you like comes around. My girlfriend did just that (granted for a phone she did want and still uses - the shift 4G) and retained her upgrade for next year, effectively saved her 350 bucks and a year to upgrade :D
  9. fly2hip8

fly2hip8 New Member

I just went and bought a BB storm, on ebay, to tide me over til Bionic comes out, if it does ever come out.

Thank you all for your help, it is much appreicated. :)
  10. Neonknight

Neonknight New Member

I am due for a new phone July 10!! I am glad I read this. Am wanting an X2.

I just went to Verizon and upgraded to an unlimited data package on my old feature phone. LOL!!!! I have never used a KB of data on it.
  11. fly2hip8

fly2hip8 New Member

You have to have the unlimited data plan on a smartphone. When u go into get ur new phone you will get tiered data pricing, not the unlimited plan. It doens't work with a feature phone. Read the last 5 or 6 posts.
  12. Arkbird

Arkbird DF News Team Premium Member

Unlimited on a featurephone won't get you grandfathered in. It has to be a smartphone. I suggest you buy a cheap one off eBay or craigslist now until you get your X2 because if you wait until then, it will be too late.
  13. fly2hip8

fly2hip8 New Member

You better hurry up too, shipping times with ebay can screw u over!
  14. Neonknight

Neonknight New Member

OK, I changed it back, but just out of curiosity, what is the source for this? I see nothing in the press release about having to have a smart phone. It just states that unlimited data plans will be grandfathered in.

I did see in the thread where somebody mentioned, and then everyone ran with it. How do we know this for sure? Is this a fact, or did someone just assume it?
  15. fly2hip8

fly2hip8 New Member

My source for this info is the Kim, who i chatted with on verizonwireless.com earlier this morning
  16. Neonknight

Neonknight New Member

Perhaps I should just add a line now and get a new phone, and then drop this line when it expires.
  17. fly2hip8

fly2hip8 New Member

Just go to ebay or craigslist and buy a cheap smartphone go to a verizon store and get unlimited data, and then you will be grandfathered in and you will still have your cheaper upgrade pricing
  18. Neonknight

Neonknight New Member

OK, thanks.

I guess a new line it is then.
  19. Neonknight

Neonknight New Member

I actually added 2 new lines. LOL! Unlimited data on 2 phones. Glad I caught this. I assume I get it for at least 2 years (length of contract.)

My phone renewal date was the 10th, and I was planning on getting one then. I would have been up the proverbial creek by 3 days.

I got the X2 and the Dinc2. The Dinc2 was only a penny when adding a new line through Amazon. The upgrade would have been 99.99 without the new line, so that savings will cover much of the additional expense of having the extra line and connect fees. The X2 was still 119.99. So for $120 I got 2 pretty decent phones. Still have to pay for the other lines until Nov, but they are feature phones, so not really a lot of expense.
  20. loki993

loki993 New Member

Did they let you upgrade the line that was upgreading on the 10th? I would assume with it being that close they would have been able to do soemthing for you.
Search tags for this page
assumption of liability verizon unlomited dara
can verizon bump you from grandfathered unlimited if you upgrade but dont change contract
grandfathered $29.99 unlimited email and web data package
has anyone got verizon to restore their unlimited data
i have a verizion phone and my contracts expired so i need u
is it possible to split verizon wireless asumption of liabil

verizon assumption of liability

verizon unlimited data grandfathered forever
verizon wireless 4g unlimited data grandfather
verizon's description of change of verizon business data pla
will verizon wave my 400 deposit jan 2014