Verizon's New Data Plans & Unlimited Grandfathered Reaffirmed in Training Doc Leak

V

volando

So, help me out...

I'm in a similar (but reversed) situation, I have a line but want to add my GF to it... the problem is, we both want GS2s so can't do it right now.

I spoke to Verizon and they said to add a line you HAVE TO sign a contract (just for the new line) now, which would not allow her to get a subsidized GS2 when it arrives.

So come August, at best I will be able to 1. Re-sign and get the subsidized GS2, keep my unlimited data 2. Add her with the subsidized GS2 but she'll have tiered data even though we'll be on the same family plan...

Or we both switch to Sprint...

jseah

Reaction score
So, help me out...

I'm in a similar (but reversed) situation, I have a line but want to add my GF to it... the problem is, we both want GS2s so can't do it right now.

I spoke to Verizon and they said to add a line you HAVE TO sign a contract (just for the new line) now, which would not allow her to get a subsidized GS2 when it arrives.

So come August, at best I will be able to 1. Re-sign and get the subsidized GS2, keep my unlimited data 2. Add her with the subsidized GS2 but she'll have tiered data even though we'll be on the same family plan...

Technically, that is correct that you HAVE to sign a contract. If you bring your own device, you will be signing a MONTH TO MONTH contract. Some salespeople may tell you that you can't go month to month but have to sign a 2 year contract. This really isn't a big deal. Because, if you add her now and sign a contract, but bring your own phone, then since she had not used her handset subsidy, she should be able to upgrade her handset at any time.

Eta508

Reaction score
So, help me out...

Technically, that is correct that you HAVE to sign a contract. If you bring your own device, you will be signing a MONTH TO MONTH contract. Some salespeople may tell you that you can't go month to month but have to sign a 2 year contract. This really isn't a big deal. Because, if you add her now and sign a contract, but bring your own phone, then since she had not used her handset subsidy, she should be able to upgrade her handset at any time.

Interesting. I was talking to my wife and she has a NE2 to use right now. She has no interest in a data plan and doesn't even want a new phone because she really likes the one she has now (Samsung Alias2). Looking on ebay, most used 3G smartphones there are still running over $100. If I sign up and use my subsidy for maybe an Incredible2 for $50, then she could gift me her upgrade and I could replace my Inc2 for a nice SGS2 later this year, right? I wouldn't be changing plans at all so I'd still keep my unlimited data...

V

volando

If you bring your own device, you will be signing a MONTH TO MONTH contract.

Nice! The rep I spoke to didn't know about this. I chatted again and here is the log below, seems like I'm good! I am about to buy a cheapo non-smartphone device on Craigslist, add it to my line, have unlimited for both now and be eligible for double-subsidy in August when the GS2 arrives!

LOG:
Deborah: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
You: Hello, I have an existing line with Verizon, can I add an additional line right now and bring in my own phone on a month-to-month basis
You: so i don't use up the phone subsidy
You: which I will use later
Deborah: Yes you sure can add a line and be on month - month.
Deborah: With your own Verizon device.
You: And when a phone that I want comes out (Samsung Galaxy GS2) in August I will be able to sign a contract for both my line and the new line and both get subsidized phones?
Deborah: Yes, that is correct.
You: Are you 100% sure about this? I don't want to end up in a situation where Verizon later says "sorry, phone subsidies are for new customers only"
Deborah: No, you will be able to get the new 2 yr pricing.
You: What if both my line and the new line get the unlimited data plan - will they both be able to be grandfathered in when I re-sign?
Deborah: When you say grandfather in are you speaking of a old plan that you have now?
You: yes
Deborah: Sure,you will be able to grandfather all of your lines in when you get ready
You: Ok great, I just saw this on your leaked plan and wanted to confirm :) http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...andfathered-reaffirmed-training-doc-leak.html
You: No fee?
Deborah: Well, there is a $35 activation fee is you activate a new line.

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
This is good news and since I was planning on waiting on the D3 and seeing what thats like. I can always get a 4G phone down the line so im good.

Mont

Reaction score
Just when I thought Verizon pricing couldn't get anymore ridiculous

evsdmf

Reaction score
Verizon Pricing Sucks

Verizon sucks!!! Watch your bill and if they change any terms of the contract you can cancel without a termination penalty/fee. If I can, I will cancel my three lines and move to Sprint.

xan

Reaction score
Verizon sucks!!! Watch your bill and if they change any terms of the contract you can cancel without a termination penalty/fee. If I can, I will cancel my three lines and move to Sprint.

You can always "move" to place/country without VRZ coverage. They have to let you out if they cant provide service.

standard101

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6 Edge
for the smarter people out there than me, the 2gb plan says $15 for business email. my current unlimited plan I think says that too, but I never been charged for that. I use Outlook on my D1. What differentiates "Business Email" from using my Outlook to sync my work email?

305rev305

Reaction score
I don't understand what some people are saying about corporate discounts and data...I have a corporate discount of 19% but the line is under my name. It does not being to my employer. I am just using their discount...do I get to keep the discount and my data plan???

standard101

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6 Edge
I don't understand what some people are saying about corporate discounts and data...I have a corporate discount of 19% but the line is under my name. It does not being to my employer. I am just using their discount...do I get to keep the discount and my data plan???

"Personal account with corporate discount applied" might be the better way of saying it, so no, you will not get that discount applied to the data plan after 7/7. I have the same setup as do most people I think.

R

RETG

I don't see anything that says employee discounts on private lines will be going away.

I would like some more clarification from Verizion, not speculation from a so-called leaked email.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
If you bring your own device, you will be signing a MONTH TO MONTH contract.

Nice! The rep I spoke to didn't know about this. I chatted again and here is the log below, seems like I'm good! I am about to buy a cheapo non-smartphone device on Craigslist, add it to my line, have unlimited for both now and be eligible for double-subsidy in August when the GS2 arrives!

LOG:
Deborah: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
You: Hello, I have an existing line with Verizon, can I add an additional line right now and bring in my own phone on a month-to-month basis
You: so i don't use up the phone subsidy
You: which I will use later
Deborah: Yes you sure can add a line and be on month - month.
Deborah: With your own Verizon device.
You: And when a phone that I want comes out (Samsung Galaxy GS2) in August I will be able to sign a contract for both my line and the new line and both get subsidized phones?
Deborah: Yes, that is correct.
You: Are you 100% sure about this? I don't want to end up in a situation where Verizon later says "sorry, phone subsidies are for new customers only"
Deborah: No, you will be able to get the new 2 yr pricing.
You: What if both my line and the new line get the unlimited data plan - will they both be able to be grandfathered in when I re-sign?
Deborah: When you say grandfather in are you speaking of a old plan that you have now?
You: yes
Deborah: Sure,you will be able to grandfather all of your lines in when you get ready
You: Ok great, I just saw this on your leaked plan and wanted to confirm :) http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...andfathered-reaffirmed-training-doc-leak.html
You: No fee?
Deborah: Well, there is a $35 activation fee is you activate a new line.

I believe you have to have a smartphone to get unlimited data. You may want to double check that.

V

volando

I believe you have to have a smartphone to get unlimited data. You may want to double check that.

Yeah, I'm currently reading this lengthy thread that seems to claim the same thing...

I guess my rep should have known better. Oh well, I guess I have to get a 3G-enabled phone, not any phone... wonder what the cheapest option is, hm...

Snow02

Reaction score
You can find a winmo phone for dirt cheap I'm sure.