Verizon's New Data Plans & Unlimited Grandfathered Reaffirmed in Training Doc Leak

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Looks like I need to buy a smart phone ASAP. Ebay will be my friend. I think I'll just get an OG Droid until the Bionic comes out.

Yeah my co-worker has been mulling it over for a few months now and after I told her about the changes for 7/7, she said that she was going to get one before the changes go into effect.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like I need to buy a smart phone ASAP. Ebay will be my friend. I think I'll just get an OG Droid until the Bionic comes out.

Yeah my co-worker has been mulling it over for a few months now and after I told her about the changes for 7/7, she said that she was going to get one before the changes go into effect.

Yeah I've been trying to wait myself but it looks like Verizon isn't giving me an option here. OG Droids are going for around $70 on eBay which is pretty cheap so I'll probably end up doing that and getting data now.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
My big question is if and when I get a 4G phone is that considered a "different" data plan? I'd like to get the Bionic when that arrives, and I currently have the Droid X. Or am I grandfathered into 4G also regardless of whether or not I currently have a 3G phone?

I just got my wife a Thunderbolt (she was on ATT until yesterday) and asked that very question. The Verizon guy said that there will be no price hike for 4G coverage and unlimited data will grandfather for both 3G or 4G. When I upgrade my DX, I will get 4G automatically and not lose my unlimited.

I brought her to my account only because of the data plan change coming up. Glad I was right on this one.

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
We have a family rate plan--my Droid is using the unlimited data plan, but the POS Samsung Rogue (should have known better) is just a featurephone and on a very small plan (which is almost so small as to be nearly unusable). Wondering if I should bite the bullet and bump up the data plan, since we plan on upgrading that to some variety of Android phone later this year. I'm sure they would let us bump up our data plan no matter which phone we have. It really would not be too much extra, considering what they are reaming us for the tiny data plan on the Rogue.

Those new tiers suck BTW...they claim 34MB/hour for streaming music. So if I take a trip out to the east coast for a week, streaming Pandora radio the whole time, I'd eat up quite a bit of data (at the 10GB level). Granted I can (and do) use WiFi when I'm near a signal but otherwise, it just looks like more typical Verizon nickel-and-diming customers. I'm going to be shopping the competition when my contract is up, but to be honest, the others out there are not much better. Sprint has their free mobile-to-mobile (any carrier, not just Sprint) that beats Verizon on that front.

eagle132

Reaction score
If I am currently on a family plan, and my phone (OG Droid) has the unlimited data, but in the near future I see myself moving off my family plan to an individual plan, can I still take my unlimited data with me do you think?

Beka27

Reaction score
If I am currently on a family plan, and my phone (OG Droid) has the unlimited data, but in the near future I see myself moving off my family plan to an individual plan, can I still take my unlimited data with me do you think?

Might want to move off on your own now. July 7th and after, you'd be starting a new contract which would include tiered data.

Eta508

Reaction score
So, help me out...

My wife is on Verizon and just has a talk/text plan. She also gets a corporate discount.

I have ATT currently but want to switch to VZW. I'm out of my ATT contract and want to port my number.

I was waiting to switch and be part of my wife's plan till some of the newer phones come out (Bionic/Galaxy S2) but I guess I can't wait now... I want to get one of those phones when they come out within a few months hopefully. What's the best way to hop on to VZW and lock in the unlimited data plan?

Buy a used droidx or something off of ebay, talk to verizon on the phone about adding it to my wife's account - start a family plan with my wife as the primary still and then add unlimited data for my phone? Then, in a few months, am I able to get a Bionic (or whatever) under contract?

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
If I were you, I would add a line to your wife's plan. See if you can switch your number over then buy a smartphone off contract. Just remember that both of you will have separate unlimited data plans if you both have smartphones.

DJRobNM

Reaction score
Here's a Ferrari with a one gallon gas tank. Have fun!

How is 10 gigs a one-gallon gas tank? That's a pretty big gallon.

One hour of movie streaming on Netflix is ~356mb so one movie would be ~712mb.

Compared to my current plan, I can now watch 2.5 movies a month on Netflix as opposed to unlimited!

Or I can pay an extra $10 for every additional movie I want to watch!

That is of course assuming I don't use my phone for anything else.

Mavic

Reaction score
I just slopped my FB wall with this brief info. 2GB for $30/m seems rediculous considering unlimited is $30 a month and is more valuable than the 10gb plan. Glad I got the unlimited when I did!

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
I'm a little disappointed that I'll be losing my 22% work discount, but at the same time I'm glad I'm being grandfathered in under the unlimited plan. I guess you can't have it all. :dry: