Verizon's Motorola Droid Ultra and Droid Maxx Specs Detailed

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
After seeing some more pictures, I'm definitely not a fan of the look of the Mini and Ultra - it looks like they have TPU gel cases on them... :icon_eek:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
That X8 chip is really interesting....I've thought the always on voice thing was kind of a gimmick (and battery waster), but with 1-2 dedicated chips for it there is definitely some potential.

And sounds like some serious graphics horsepower. After all that, you have the classic dual-core dedicated to actual system/apps.

Taken all together, I can see how this "mediocre" dual-core might outperform the quad/octa-cores, in multiple respects.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Its all about the X8 mobile computing system. Not sure why everyone missed that. They saw dual-core and checked out. These new Droids are some truly powerful handsets. I just became a huge fan of the Moto Droids once again....ahhh to be home :big smile:

I have a sneaking feeling that 2014 will be the year the Motorola Droid line-up regains top dog honors on Verizon's network. This will be their bread and butter.....

tuffD1

Reaction score
I am interested in the Droid Mini. Others too big for my preference. After going thru a D1-D3-D4 (still have 'em), I think its time for me to let go of phys/key, and would fork up the cash for a; *used* Dmini :)
Gotta keep my Unlimted Data while I still have it, without paying retail.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
i was trying to find out what a "contextual computing core" was for and found this at Motorola X8 Mobile Computing, Changes The Definition Of Octa-Core Processor

[h=1]Motorola X8 Mobile Computing, Changes The Definition Of Octa-Core Processor[/h]by Mark Collins - Jul 23, 2013
0 15

When Samsung introduces the Exynos 5 Octa, it changed the definition of mobile processor. The Exynos 5 Octa is featuring two sets of quad-core processors. Well. Motorola has introduced its own mobile processor which is known as the Motorola X8 Mobile Computing.

Motorola described the X8 as an octa-core processor. Why? The X8 features eight cores that consist of a dual-core application processor from Qualcomm, a quad-core graphics processor, a single-core contextual processor, and a single-core natural language processor. It is indeed an octa-core processor.
A mobile computing system powers the new Motorola devices, as opposed to a standard application processor chip found in every smartphone. This involves eight tightly integrated processors, special algorithms, and sensors. No one except Motorola could create this system. The result is a consumer experience like no other. Below is what it entails and see the next section for what it enables:
• Four powerful graphics processors each running at 400 MHz delivering 3.2 million pixel fill rate,16 shader units, 512kb dedicated cached memory and running the Egypt performance benchmark at a blazing 155 frames per second (FPS). Fully compliant with Android Project Butter.
• Two ultra fast application processors each running at 1.7 GHz, 28nm low-*power technology, high‐speed dual-*channel DDR RAM running at 533 MHz.
• One local natural language processor (L‐NLP). Motorola proprietary low‐power specialized processor with audio sensors, noise estimators, noise cancellation, and speech recognition technology to enable always-on voice based user interaction without sacrificing battery life.
• One contextual computing processor (CCP). Motorola proprietary low-power specialized processor that computes contextual data from sensors enabling intelligent mobile computing and always-on display mode.
Our main chipset has two CPUs and quad GPUs. We have added two additional low*‐power processors (Contextual Processor, Natural Language Processor) in our system design. So we are not saying we have an octa-*core chip, but we have an octa-*core Mobile Computing System. Silicon vendors only like to talk about dual versus quad core main CPUs because that is how they are priced. We have to brand and market our system as opposed to a chip.
Our approach is completely different. We have built a custom system around the application processor. For example, the new Motorola devices do not use the battery hungry application processor to do always on audio or display. We have custom designed our system to deliver great experiences without killing the battery. We have built the first true mobile computing system.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
After seeing some more pictures, I'm definitely not a fan of the look of the Mini and Ultra - it looks like they have TPU gel cases on them... :icon_eek:

Agree. Why would they make the Ultra with the glossy finish and the MAXX with the grippy matte finish like on the RAZR series? I like the feel of the RAZR. It makes it feel more secure and not slippery.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree. Why would they make the Ultra with the glossy finish and the MAXX with the grippy matte finish like on the RAZR series? I like the feel of the RAZR. It makes it feel more secure and not slippery.

Exactly, after seeing a couple of demo videos of the Mini and Ultra, the backs of those are major fingerprint magnets as well...

equake

Reaction score
Gotta luv the marketing on this one. Spinning a snapdragon 400 into a octa core soc gotta be the show. Too bad the other specs are meh

Although the mini comes at a very good price point and more than a match for any midrange phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2