Verizon's LTE Growing With Few Speed Bumps; Verizon Still Moving Toward Tierd Pricing

bplewis24

Reaction score
Tiered data plans should be outlawed.

I disagree. I actually prefer a tiered data plan, but the problem is I knew Verizon may try and gouge us with outrageous pricing.

Back to tiered data plans, think about the benefits. If you don't use a lot of data, you can pay for the plan that suits your needs. If you do need unlimited data, it becomes more feasible to get it at a reasonable price if others are not gouging the system with monumental amounts of data usage without paying anything extra for it.

The bottom line is that the closer we get to a utility-style metered usage plans, the better it will be for consumers. If your water or electric company told you that you would now be paying $50/month for unlimited usage, would you be happy or upset with that?

Well, if you typically only use $20/month of energy/water, you would be upset. For people like me that don't use 10GBs of data a month, I COULD potentially benefit from tiered pricing. It just depends on how reasonable Verizon is willing to be with pricing.

Brandon

bplewis24

Reaction score
I should add that while I'm all in favor of tiered pricing, what I DON'T want to see is data caps. I want to see one "unlimited data" plan with no throttling. Make users pay a premium for it.

Here is my ideal plan setup:

<500MB Data $10
<2GB Data $20
<5GB Data $30
Unlimited $50

I know, pipe dream, right? No way pricing will be that reasonable/cheap. But as you can see, the people who want unlimited data pay a premium for it, and people who regularly use between 750MB and 2GB/month (I'm almost always less than 1GB), we would save $10/month.

Brandon

bplewis24

Reaction score
AT&T Data Calculator

Data gets used up quicker than I think some people realize :eek:

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

I don't buy this calculator's accuracy at all.

Last summer through fall I streamed music at least 2 hours every day of the week. I coach high school football, so Monday through Friday on my way to and from practice I would stream music. Then I would stream music on Saturday's on the way to staff meetings and on the way to football games. So it was always on 3g as I was always either commuting or away from home.

According to the calculator, at minimum without doing anything else, I would be at 1.78GB/month streaming 2 hours a day. Well, according to Verizon's records, I only topped 1GB twice (never over 1.1GB), and every other month I was around 700-900MB.

Brandon

Burning_Monkey

Reaction score
I am totally against any data package change until Verizon fixes the fact that I seem to be able to fly to an international data coverage area by simply turning from left to right in my recliner at home. I never noticed leaving the Midwest US, why does my phone suddenly think I am in Zimbabwe?

Must be all the lead paint and aluminum foil on the windows to hide my illegal downloading that the RIAA is sure I am doing.

bplewis24

Reaction score
lol, that's an interesting problem. Have you considered that perhaps you are living on the natural border to Zimbabwe? :)

Burning_Monkey

Reaction score
lol, that's an interesting problem. Have you considered that perhaps you are living on the natural border to Zimbabwe? :)

I didn't realize that Zimbabwe and Iowa shared a border. Is it the Mississippi or Missouri river that marks that particular border. I forget which one is which. :-D