Verizon's LTE Growing With Few Speed Bumps; Verizon Still Moving Toward Tierd Pricing

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Apr 26, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Nicola Palmer, Verizon Wireless VP of Network Operations recently indicated that Verizon's implementation of their LTE network is going with fewer speed bumps than expected. Here's her exact quote,
    Sadly, we get one good quote form one Verizon exec, and another "not-so-cool" quote from a different exec. Nicola Palmer is yet another senior official at Verizon who said that unlimited data will not last forever, and that Verizon will move to tiered pricing. Here's his quote,
    Although we already reported in the past that Verizon would eventually eliminate their unlimited data plans and move to tiered plans, it's not great hearing it reinforced again. I suppose this is a "good news, bad news" story.

Source: PhoneArena
  2. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

"Unlimited billing on data is simply unsustainable for the industry."

Yeah charging $30 a customer for unlimited data is simply not making us enough many many many millions so instead we are going to cap data and be able to charge the most ridiculous overage rates. We will see tiered data rates in way so that the average user gets screwed. That is what she should have said.
  3. WPThunder25

WPThunder25 New Member

I have an upgrade in two months so if nothing good comes out that is 4G I might just get the TB before the new data plans roll out.
  4. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

I agree with you, while this may save some, this will charge just as many. With the expansion of netflix, hulu, and all the cloud computing, do they expect the average usage to drop?
  5. loki993

loki993 New Member

Yeah I kind of agree.

Its one of those things if they say it enough times people will start to believe it.
  6. silverfang77

silverfang77 Member

Tiered data plans should be outlawed.
  7. cromag.rickman

cromag.rickman New Member

Honestly, if they HAVE to go tiered (which they do), I more a fan of a 2 gig cap that doesn't start charging you more after you exceed it, but just slows your speed down. That way we still have data for the whole month for one flat rate, you just have to be a little more careful about burning through the first 2 gigs.

2 Gigs should be plenty for 95% of users who are smart about using wifi when it's available, avoid tethering (unless paying for a tethering plan of course), etc...

It's the lesser of two evils when the alternative is a solid cap that starts charging you more money after you exceed it.
  8. silverfang77

silverfang77 Member

Couldn't the cap at least be a bit more generous, like 5-20 GB?

Tappin' and talkin' with Tappatalk
  9. cromag.rickman

While that would be totally awesome, I'm trying to be realistic ;) I'm sure they'll offer a 5gig and or 10 gig option (I doubt they would go 20), but I'll bet the $30 option that we know and love will be for 2 gig or less. (pure speculation, just basing that off other carriers practices).

Here's hoping I'm wrong!
  10. silverfang77

silverfang77 Member

Seems like the contracts protect the companies while doing nothing for the customers.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tappatalk
  11. cromag.rickman

Amen to that!
  12. creaky

creaky Member

I agree with the earlier poster about the caps. Throttle the data while giving the option to buy more if you want. Overages are just another way to screw you when you might not be aware....
  13. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I agree unlimited data should stay.

I also agree when tiered plans do come, it should have some favorable caps: 10GB, 20GB, 30GB. 30GB should be enough even for ppl that stream music. I just found out Tune In Radio app is fixed so now it works like its supposed to. So I will be one of the heavy music streamers soon. Of course Verizon will go with the crowd and wont offer caps nowhere near that high.

I would also pay $10-$20 more for unlimited 4G. I pay a monthly fee for getting newsgroup access form a server that lets me max out my connection speed. (had 20Mbps down with RCN, switched to Comcast and get 60Mbps down for close to the same price) So paying extra for the service is no problem to me. I do it now for my home internet.

Seeing as I use newsgroups alot, and I will probably be using 4G alot, I wouldnt mind. But 2GB and 4GB only plans and then overages like AT&T....I dont think I could handle that now. I hope they follow Sprint's plan.
  14. elvis_marmaduke

elvis_marmaduke New Member

I think it was either 5 1/2 or 7 1/2 gbs was measured for the avg user...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  15. afripino

afripino New Member

why are they differentiating themselves from ISP's? THEY ARE ISP's!!!!!!! The only difference is the pipe and end user equipment. We're all just trying to get to the internets...so, why not bill the same?
  16. CalvaryMike

CalvaryMike New Member

A couple of weeks ago, I receied a letter from AT&T that they are capping my HSI at home!! :icon_evil:
  17. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

I just can't see myself consuming a ton of data on a tiny smartphone screen. If I watch netflix, it will be on a tablet or laptop (or bigger). Probably why tablet/laptop/datacard plans have been capped at 5 or 10 gigs from the get-go.

Now, because of that constraint, they were able to offer unlimited data on smartphones. But the reality is tethering provides a work around that natural constraint, so here we are. And the irony is that, for the most part, people who are complaining are the ones who brought us to this point with excessive tethering!
  18. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

I welcome a 2-5GB cap as $30 for the 1/4GB I use a month is highway robbery and don't see myself ever using anymore then 2-5 (and haven't even come close to that yet). However, I agree with what people are saying when they're introducing services like Netflix/Hulu which by nature are going to use tons of data only to cap you and charge overages haha. Wifi FTW, I guess....
  19. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

2 to 5 gigs would be great but I have heard, again HEARD, that 4g eats data like crazy. Anyone who uses 4g alot care to confirm or dispute that feel free cause I am interested.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.
  20. elvis_marmaduke

elvis_marmaduke New Member

Yeah, but they are putting that stuff on devices now which is essentially not being supported by the networks... kinda stupid imo, we will figure out ways around it to piss them off probably

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums