Verizon's LTE Growing With Few Speed Bumps; Verizon Still Moving Toward Tierd Pricing

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon4g-lte.jpg

Nicola Palmer, Verizon Wireless VP of Network Operations recently indicated that Verizon's implementation of their LTE network is going with fewer speed bumps than expected. Here's her exact quote,
"Frankly I expected some speed bumps. The surprise here to me is the speed bumps were very few and far between and they didn’t do any damage to the undercarriage."

Sadly, we get one good quote form one Verizon exec, and another "not-so-cool" quote from a different exec. Nicola Palmer is yet another senior official at Verizon who said that unlimited data will not last forever, and that Verizon will move to tiered pricing. Here's his quote,
"Unlimited billing on data is simply unsustainable for the industry."
Although we already reported in the past that Verizon would eventually eliminate their unlimited data plans and move to tiered plans, it's not great hearing it reinforced again. I suppose this is a "good news, bad news" story.

Source: PhoneArena

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yeah charging $30 a customer for unlimited data is simply not making us enough many many many millions so instead we are going to cap data and be able to charge the most ridiculous overage rates. We will see tiered data rates in way so that the average user gets screwed. That is what she should have said.

WPThunder25

Reaction score
I have an upgrade in two months so if nothing good comes out that is 4G I might just get the TB before the new data plans roll out.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Yeah charging $30 a customer for unlimited data is simply not making us enough many many many millions so instead we are going to cap data and be able to charge the most ridiculous overage rates. We will see tiered data rates in way so that the average user gets screwed. That is what she should have said.

I agree with you, while this may save some, this will charge just as many. With the expansion of netflix, hulu, and all the cloud computing, do they expect the average usage to drop?

loki993

Reaction score

Yeah I kind of agree.

Its one of those things if they say it enough times people will start to believe it.

cromag.rickman

Reaction score
Honestly, if they HAVE to go tiered (which they do), I more a fan of a 2 gig cap that doesn't start charging you more after you exceed it, but just slows your speed down. That way we still have data for the whole month for one flat rate, you just have to be a little more careful about burning through the first 2 gigs.

2 Gigs should be plenty for 95% of users who are smart about using wifi when it's available, avoid tethering (unless paying for a tethering plan of course), etc...

It's the lesser of two evils when the alternative is a solid cap that starts charging you more money after you exceed it.

silverfang77

Reaction score
Couldn't the cap at least be a bit more generous, like 5-20 GB?

Tappin' and talkin' with Tappatalk

cromag.rickman

Reaction score
Couldn't the cap at least be a bit more generous, like 5-20 GB?

While that would be totally awesome, I'm trying to be realistic ;) I'm sure they'll offer a 5gig and or 10 gig option (I doubt they would go 20), but I'll bet the $30 option that we know and love will be for 2 gig or less. (pure speculation, just basing that off other carriers practices).

Here's hoping I'm wrong!

silverfang77

Reaction score
Seems like the contracts protect the companies while doing nothing for the customers.

creaky

Reaction score
I agree with the earlier poster about the caps. Throttle the data while giving the option to buy more if you want. Overages are just another way to screw you when you might not be aware....

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree unlimited data should stay.

I also agree when tiered plans do come, it should have some favorable caps: 10GB, 20GB, 30GB. 30GB should be enough even for ppl that stream music. I just found out Tune In Radio app is fixed so now it works like its supposed to. So I will be one of the heavy music streamers soon. Of course Verizon will go with the crowd and wont offer caps nowhere near that high.

I would also pay $10-$20 more for unlimited 4G. I pay a monthly fee for getting newsgroup access form a server that lets me max out my connection speed. (had 20Mbps down with RCN, switched to Comcast and get 60Mbps down for close to the same price) So paying extra for the service is no problem to me. I do it now for my home internet.

Seeing as I use newsgroups alot, and I will probably be using 4G alot, I wouldnt mind. But 2GB and 4GB only plans and then overages like AT&T....I dont think I could handle that now. I hope they follow Sprint's plan.

Reaction score
I think it was either 5 1/2 or 7 1/2 gbs was measured for the avg user...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

afripino

Reaction score
why are they differentiating themselves from ISP's? THEY ARE ISP's!!!!!!! The only difference is the pipe and end user equipment. We're all just trying to get to the internets...so, why not bill the same?