Verizon's latest Motorola Droid MAXX offering

tuckersmyth

Reaction score
Shopping for a new smartphone, I am trying to determine the difference between the top-of-the-line offering at Verizon called the Droid MAXX and the earlier Droid Razr MAXX HD. The term "Razr" seems to be gone from the name. But are the specs more or less the same? Are they the same phone?

Surprisingly a search on these two terms doesn't answer my question in the usual 5 min. timeframe. I could ask Verizon I guess but the odds are I would get some uniformed salesperson with bad info.

I assume there is someone here on this forum who could enlighten me.

Motorola Droid MAXX vs. Motorola Droid Raxr Maxx HD. What's the distinction?

jimmythegent

Reaction score
Who knows, I saw that too. Personally I think the new one, which, yes, is just called the MAXX, is better than the Razr Maxx, these phones have more issues than Playboy.

OP
T

tuckersmyth

Reaction score
I actually talked with a Verizon sales rep. that seemed familiar enough with there product line to answer my question.

Apparently the newest offering called simply the Droid Maxx is slightly heavier, thicker, and possibly more resistant to damage than the Razr Maxx HD. It sounds like most of the features that the Razr eventually took on in the form of the Maxx HD are found on the Droid Maxx.

But I have not found any reviews of this phone where any comparisons are made with the former Razr Maxx HD.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Droid MAXX

1.7 GHz dual-core CPU with quad-core graphics powers the Maxx, with 2GB of RAM and 32GB of internal memory, 5" 1280X720 HD display rounding out the list. It's an LTE-enabled phone (naturally) and weighs just under five ounces. Software-wise, it runs Android Jelly Bean 4.2

Motorola X8 Mobile Computing System, which is comprised of a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4Pro family processor (1.7GHz Dual-Core Krait CPU, 400 MHz quad-core Adreno 320 GPU), a natural language processor and a contextual computing processor. 2GB DDR RAM 32GB storage, no removable storage. 3500 mAh, 48 hours of mixed usage Wireless inductive charging available

Droid RAZR MAXX HD

1.5 GHz dual-core CPU,
1GB RAM x 32GB ROM , 26GB user available memory, expandable with optional microSD card, 4.7" 1280X720 HD display, 3300 mAh Li lon Polymer (embedded), sign of charge LED, Jelly Bean 4.1, Up to 32 GB removable microSD

A rough comparison but they are NOT the same phone... Lots of other upgrades with the MAXX including fully wrapped rear with Kevlar and 10MP camera.

OP
T

tuckersmyth

Reaction score
Thanks Foxkat! That's the info I wanted. Not the same phone indeed! You just saved me a lot of time researching this.

I did read the CNet review about the Maxx. The reviewer comments that the dual core processor doesn't compare with the quad core processors found in the HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4. But I favor the Motorola phones because of their build quality.

Now I just need to buy a Verizon Maxx without a contract. That's gonna cost!

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
"Tucker" I've had the RAZR, RAZR MAXX, RAZR MAXX HD, now the droid MAXX. (Not yelling just spell check caps them automatically. The RMHD is by far a sexier phone, has HDMI out and SD card slot. The DUM (droid ultra MAXX) is rubererized carbon fiber. Battery usage is a moot point. Radios etc. Are all on par. The major difference that I tell any body is the screen buttons on the RMHD rotate with the screen. The home button is always on the same side no matter which way the phone is orientated in landscape mode. My personal pick if my DUM phone breaks is hunt down a RMHD unless I could get another DUM at a comparable price point. 8 bills is a lot for a replacement.

Sent from my DUM phone using Droid Forums

OP
T

tuckersmyth

Reaction score
I like the SD slot on the RMHD. Don't know why the DM doesn't have this. I used to have the X2 which had HDMI out. That's a neat feature.

But I really like the Kevlar back and the 10 mp camera on the DM. Hmmmm.

It looks like I could probably find a non-contract RMHD online for around $350. As of today Verizon is selling a non-contract Droid Maxx for $650. That might tip the balance.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I like the SD slot on the RMHD. Don't know why the DM doesn't have this. I used to have the X2 which had HDMI out. That's a neat feature.

But I really like the Kevlar back and the 10 mp camera on the DM. Hmmmm.

It looks like I could probably find a non-contract RMHD online for around $350. As of today Verizon is selling a non-contract Droid Maxx for $650. That might tip the balance.

I just sold mine for 350 to a fellow DF member.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Mine cost 802 out the door with screen protectors and basket weave case. If you run your phone naked the HD is the phone. Most like an iPhone.

jimmythegent

Reaction score
Dang... I should have waited a little longer, now Im stuck with this obsolete junk for another year and a half :(