Verizon's Hotspot questions.

bingle03

Reaction score
First is I have searched everywhere for this simple answer and can not find it. I was wondering how much 2gb of data is. How much internet will it get me, and second can you connect xbox live to it. Thanks.

ben.keen

Reaction score
That all depends on what you are doing. 2GBs can last you a long time or be gone in a matter of minutes. I wouldn't recommend using the 3G Hotspot to connect your game console because even though 3G is a fast connection I don't think it will handle the traffic required for smooth game play. I have the 3G hotspot on my DX and use it if I'm on the road and need to access the internet for emergency work purposes but I am not getting rid of my FiOS service anytime soon. LOL

OP
B

bingle03

Reaction score
Well that does help some. I'm a college student and money is tight so I was debating on getting internet for my home or use the hotspot for internet. I do download songs, maybe 20 a month and just browse the internet. Nothing real heavy, but I want 2gb to last hopefully the whole month on a regular base.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i know you said the 3G hotspot, i see that, but may i suggest rooting to use googles wireless (or wired) tethering app? they work the same way but dont have a cap and are free!!!!

:icon_ banana: <-- free makes me do the banana dance

ben.keen

Reaction score
Well that does help some. I'm a college student and money is tight so I was debating on getting internet for my home or use the hotspot for internet. I do download songs, maybe 20 a month and just browse the internet. Nothing real heavy, but I want 2gb to last hopefully the whole month on a regular base.

Just keep in mind, if you are downloading content 2GB will burn up fast. You figure even if one sone is a couple hundred KB each, enough of those will add up and next thing you know you downloaded a mega and before long a GB. I understand about the whole college thing and the Hotspot would work to connect you to the internet for research and stuff but I would keep it light on the music downloads. One thing you can do is see if anyone else in dorm would go in on the cost of the internet. You guys just share the WEP key amoung yourselfs and if someone misses a payment, you change key kicking them off the internet dancedroid. That is what I did while I was in the Army trying to save money LOL.

OP
B

bingle03

Reaction score
But how long before this whole rooting thing is shut down, and also does it require jailbreaking your droid. Maybe that wasnt the right term, but you get the point. And to ben.keen, sadly I have to commute so I don't have that option, though that would be great.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
But how long before this whole rooting thing is shut down, and also does it require jailbreaking your droid. Maybe that wasnt the right term, but you get the point. And to ben.keen, sadly I have to commute so I don't have that option, though that would be great.

rooting is the android version of jailbreaking.

there are soooo many users on here that root and take advantage of the free tethering. but its only a suggestion, do what you want..

OP
B

bingle03

Reaction score
It sounds great to me, but you know how verizon works. They will do whatever it takes to take away anything like that. Money, money, money.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
there are over 250,000 downloads of wireless tether on the market and i have not seen one post on here about someone getting charged for using it..

ben.keen

Reaction score
there are over 250,000 downloads of wireless tether on the market and i have not seen one post on here about someone getting charged for using it..

Yeah and I know many people using it. Sadly, my device is connected to my work's email system so I don't want to root and therefore can't use the free tethering but it is a great solution if you are able/comfortable with rooting your device.