Verizon's Galaxy S4 Will Soon Get an Update Which Enables AWS-based LTE

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
gs4_verizon_black-2.jpg

We have a report that Verizon plans to offer a new update to their version of the Samsung Galaxy S4 which will offer AWS-based LTE support on the device. This will help ease congestion on their network by offering an additional spectrum band for consumers to use the device on, but it could also mean a bit faster performance on the network for many users. Here's a quote with some of the details,

Mike Haberman from Verizon spoke with Bloomberg about it and basically said that Samsung’s flagship device on Verizon will get a software update which will enable support for the AWS bands. And that their network will be rolling out on those bands very soon.

Haberman did not state when the update would be available, but that it will be coming soon. Verizon is contingent on their higher-capacity 4G network rolling out over the next few months. The Galaxy S4 probably won’t be the only device to support AWS-based LTE bands. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Nokia Lumia 928 get the update since it does support AWS. And any other device launched on Verizon in the next few months are pretty likely to support AWS as well. We’ll of course keep you updated on these updates and which devices will support AWS-based LTE on Verizon’s network.

They didn't specify when the update will drop, but it should be pretty quick.

Source: AndroidHeadlines

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Interesting....For all the people who rail about being gouged as VZW has "unlimited bandwidth" - I've run several speed tests today in the 4-8mbps range. Off-peak hours I get about 3 times that. I'd say congestion is a growing issue, at least in some major markets.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Interesting....For all the people who rail about being gouged as VZW has "unlimited bandwidth" - I've run several speed tests today in the 4-8mbps range. Off-peak hours I get about 3 times that. I'd say congestion is a growing issue, at least in some major markets.

They aren't keeping their network ahead of their customers. They love to get new subscribers but then do very little to handle them. They all do. More subscribers means more $$$ but they want to keep that $$$, not reinvest it into their network.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
They aren't keeping their network ahead of their customers. They love to get new subscribers but then do very little to handle them. They all do. More subscribers means more $$$ but they want to keep that $$$, not reinvest it into their network.

Do you have any idea how many BILLIONS Verizon has spent on LTE? And you can't plop down a cell tower just anywhere in the bigger cities, and that's where congestion tends to be a problem.

Another way to read you statement is that demand at current prices is exceeding supply. There IS a spectrum capacity problem, at least until the FCC gets off its duff or some emerging technologies mature.

dfcfu342

Reaction score

They don't have unlimited bandwidth that is true but the issue with speeds isn't available bandwidth its how many devices are connected to a tower. The tower splits its allotted bandwidth across all devices on a spectrum regardless of how much the device is using so that everyone can reach their full speed at any point in time they choose. This means even devices using no data cause others to slow as it still "steals" some available spectrum and those downloading at full speed do not interfere with the connection speeds of others. This is where additional spectrum comes into play. By having the AWS band available that allows the tower to connect more devices while preserving its capacity to share the bandwidth Verizon has available on the back end (which pretty near unlimited by today's standards). This also frees up some of the original LTE spectrum meaning devices get a bigger share of the pie and so faster speeds.

Moral of the story, more spectrum is better for everyone and bravo on finally opening up the AWS band.

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Good, I did a speed test when i was down in NC today and speeds were 12.91 dl 15.00 upload

When i got back home to MD. my speeds were 3.14 DL 2.82 upload. kinda p'oed.

I at least get 7- 8 DL when at work. I hope this gets my speeds back to teens again.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
My speeds have degraded since I got my first "Rezound" LTE smartphone on Verizon, and they have been getting worse here in the the NYC Tri-State area, and I am not the only one complaining, just Google it and it is wide spread, from the looks of it Verizon seems to be finally agnoledging there is a problem with their LTE in the congested NYC area, and many other congested areas in this country, they had to know this was going to happen with them taking on the iPhone and having the largest populus on their LTE infrastrocture. Heck I used to get 20 to over30 Gigs download during off peak times, now I am lucky to get 15, and during peak times, it is worse than T-Mobiles HSPA+, LOL.

Last edited:

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I'm in NYC.. I have not seen any decrease across multiple phones.. Maybe I'm lucky but mainly Brooklyn and Manhattan are the normal spots.. Only Staten Island gets bad spots from my travels..

Noted 2x~4 beta

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm in NYC.. I have not seen any decrease across multiple phones.. Maybe I'm lucky but mainly Brooklyn and Manhattan are the normal spots.. Only Staten Island gets bad spots from my travels..

Noted 2x~4 beta

How long have you been on LTE. And what speeds are you getting.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2