Verizon's Galaxy S4 Will Soon Get an Update Which Enables AWS-based LTE

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, May 28, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

We have a report that Verizon plans to offer a new update to their version of the Samsung Galaxy S4 which will offer AWS-based LTE support on the device. This will help ease congestion on their network by offering an additional spectrum band for consumers to use the device on, but it could also mean a bit faster performance on the network for many users. Here's a quote with some of the details,

They didn't specify when the update will drop, but it should be pretty quick.

Source: AndroidHeadlines

2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +941
    Interesting....For all the people who rail about being gouged as VZW has "unlimited bandwidth" - I've run several speed tests today in the 4-8mbps range. Off-peak hours I get about 3 times that. I'd say congestion is a growing issue, at least in some major markets.

3. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +771
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel 2XL
    They aren't keeping their network ahead of their customers. They love to get new subscribers but then do very little to handle them. They all do. More subscribers means more $$$ but they want to keep that $$$, not reinvest it into their network.

4. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +941
    Do you have any idea how many BILLIONS Verizon has spent on LTE? And you can't plop down a cell tower just anywhere in the bigger cities, and that's where congestion tends to be a problem.

Another way to read you statement is that demand at current prices is exceeding supply. There IS a spectrum capacity problem, at least until the FCC gets off its duff or some emerging technologies mature.

5. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +339
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
    I'm prepared, are you?! ;)

[​IMG]

6. dfcfu342

dfcfu342 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    They don't have unlimited bandwidth that is true but the issue with speeds isn't available bandwidth its how many devices are connected to a tower. The tower splits its allotted bandwidth across all devices on a spectrum regardless of how much the device is using so that everyone can reach their full speed at any point in time they choose. This means even devices using no data cause others to slow as it still "steals" some available spectrum and those downloading at full speed do not interfere with the connection speeds of others. This is where additional spectrum comes into play. By having the AWS band available that allows the tower to connect more devices while preserving its capacity to share the bandwidth Verizon has available on the back end (which pretty near unlimited by today's standards). This also frees up some of the original LTE spectrum meaning devices get a bigger share of the pie and so faster speeds.

Moral of the story, more spectrum is better for everyone and bravo on finally opening up the AWS band.

7. Ohyea!

Ohyea! Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    Good, I did a speed test when i was down in NC today and speeds were 12.91 dl 15.00 upload

When i got back home to MD. my speeds were 3.14 DL 2.82 upload. kinda p'oed.

I at least get 7- 8 DL when at work. I hope this gets my speeds back to teens again.

8. cybertec69

cybertec69 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +318
    My speeds have degraded since I got my first "Rezound" LTE smartphone on Verizon, and they have been getting worse here in the the NYC Tri-State area, and I am not the only one complaining, just Google it and it is wide spread, from the looks of it Verizon seems to be finally agnoledging there is a problem with their LTE in the congested NYC area, and many other congested areas in this country, they had to know this was going to happen with them taking on the iPhone and having the largest populus on their LTE infrastrocture. Heck I used to get 20 to over30 Gigs download during off peak times, now I am lucky to get 15, and during peak times, it is worse than T-Mobiles HSPA+, LOL.

#8 cybertec69, May 28, 2013
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
  9. bkdodger

bkdodger Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,304
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    I'm in NYC.. I have not seen any decrease across multiple phones.. Maybe I'm lucky but mainly Brooklyn and Manhattan are the normal spots.. Only Staten Island gets bad spots from my travels..

Noted 2x~4 beta

10. cybertec69

cybertec69 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +318
    How long have you been on LTE. And what speeds are you getting.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Search tags for this page
galaxy s4 tower update
galaxy s4 verizon tower update
how soon will verizon update s4
how to update my galaxy s4 towers

s4 active verizon

update towers verizon galaxy s4
verizon refresh cell towers galaxy
verizon s4 active
when does verizon get the s4 active
will the note 2 get the aws lte software update from verizon