Verizon's Galaxy S III Comes With Everything You Need Including A Locked Bootloader!

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
I was refering to hacking phone not to stock unrooted devices.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

loki993

Reaction score
And that my friends is why I won't buy a Motorola phone until they change, and why I purchased a GNex 3 weeks ago instead of waiting for this phone.

If VZW eff's with the GNex then I have no choice but to leave the network when it's time to upgrade.

Uhhh....The S3 is a Samsung not a Moto phone so I do get it
The only difference? More RAM, a newer model processor, bigger screen size, improved camera, and a handful of new innovative software features.. if those aren't considered major changes to you... What is?

Not to mention that the S2 is NOT available on Verizon.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/verizon-bootloader-petition/

p
lease take a moment to sign the petition... might not do anything but then again it might do something

Yeah whats this the hundredth petition to Verizon to unlock bootloaders?

Im with everyone else on this. I have one foot out the door with V$. My next step is probably going to be prepaid. They have made too many changes in the past year that they claim are "in the best interest of the customer" that are clearly and obviously the opposite. Time to vote with my wallet, not that they will miss me.

nikecar

Reaction score
Uhhh....The S3 is a Samsung not a Moto phone so I do get it
I think he meant that because Moto locks down on VZW, he won't get a Moto phone, and got the GN instead because it was unlocked even over this one..

VirtualCLD

Reaction score
I realize this may be a stupid question, but has it been determined if the bootloader is locked AND encrypted, or is it just locked? And what is the difference between them? I have a Motorola D2 so I know I have a locked and encrypted bootloader. While I can run CM9 with ICS interface, the actual kernel and radio drivers are stuck in Gingerbread (I think)? I believe HTC phones have traditionally had locked bootloaders, but they weren't encrypted, so you could use their tool to voluntarily void the warranty and unlock the bootloader. If the S3 bootloader is only locked, then there's still hope, but if it's encrypted, than it'll be just like all other, recent Motorola phones. Which is it?

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I stopped reading after 2 pages, but I have to say, CRY ME A RIVER. Seriously go to AT&T or whoever. What are you going to do when X carrier takes your Unlimited data? We know all the major carriers are going to drop unlimited data sooner or later. Then who are you going to cry to?

I called VZW with a question yesterday and ended up asking about the locked bootloader just to see what the guy would say and this is what I was told

"I asked too and was told google requested the locked bootloader, you know android isn't the greatest OS so google wanted people to stop playing around with it and breaking it so they asked to have the bootloader locker."

I laughed and asked why it was unlocked on all other carriers, then told him android was free and open source which allowed anyone to do whatever they wanted on the device, google would never ask for a locked bootloader, it was VZW and if they gave him that line of BS then he probably needs a new job.

I then told him to have a great night and thanked him for his help.

hopefully when everyone has rolled out their LTE networks and it's no longer CDMA vs GSM vs HSPA+ vs etc etc... it will simply be, buy your phone, select your carrier based on preference and price. hopefully.... but who knows.

Remember you can always use Bluetooth keyboard if you want to type. But, they are expensive.

But, United States isn't as open Europe ,when it comes to expensive phones. Is either pay full price or get lock for 2 years.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I have a BT keyboard I got when I got my xoom however it's REALLY big to carry around. I'm thinking more like a case with a built in keyboard, kinda like that LG thing they tried a few years ago, who knows

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll stick with Verizon until they kill my grandfathered unlimited. They have the best service for now in my area. I'm even willing to pay full price for phones to keep my unlimited plan. Not everyone is willing to put up with their junk, but I personally can't beat their unlimited data.

It looks like some that pre-ordered their SIII, even before June 28th, are being denied the unlimited data despite being assured they could keep it (or at least that is what many claimed here on the forums):

Verizon unlimited LTE data ends

Will be interesting to see how this pans out.