Verizon's deceptive marketing

Guyute

Reaction score
I know this isn't Droid X related, but I was wondering if Verizon has tried to rip off anyone else around here. This is what happened to me yesterday.

This call was placed with my Droid X.

I have Verizon Fios at home and the other day I get a letter that says, "We'd like to lower your Verizon Fios bill by $7.98 a month." It also said, "We've reviewed your account....we noticed you could be paying $7.98 less every month... Simply bundle your Fios HD set top Boxes..." Here is the kicker. In bold writing and underlined the letter said, "There's no catch, No strings, no equipment to swap, Just savings."

So I call them up because the letter says I had to call to get the bundle. Well then they tell me I don't qualify when I called and said if I wanted to get the discount I needed to re-bundle my services and swap out my boxes to the new multi-room DVR. That's when I read the lady the line on the letter that said, "There's no catch, No strings, no equipment to swap, Just savings." She didn't know what to say to me.

]I asked for a supervisor, I hold for about 30 min just for her to come back and say I reviewed it with my supervisor and we can't do it without you swaping out your equipment. I told her I asked for a supervisor not for her again, another 20 minutes on hold and I get the supervisor finally. He tells me the same thing I need to re-bundle (at a higher price of course) and I have to swap my boxes. I told him fine, tomorrow I'll be filing a complaint with the BBB about your deceptive offers and practices. He then proceeded to take 10 bucks off my bill per month more than the $7.98 the letter was offering.

Anyone one else have Verizon blatently try and rip you off?

Last edited by a moderator:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Moved to the correct sub-forum

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I don't deal with Verizon for the home, but I can say that all in all VZW has treated me pretty damn great for many, many years..... I've had a frustrating encounter from time to time, but in the end they 'ALWAYS' give me something or another to keep me happy...... from knocking off $200 plus when I misunderstood initial terms of messaging years back to swapping out Droids during a buy one get one free promo (my daughter wanted the Devour instead of a Droid which I got, so they did that, but then after a few months she found the Devour to be a POC, I had to call them back and try to get them to reswap back to a Droid for her...after some negotiating they eventually swapped it for her, and she has been thrilled since!!)....

So maybe they aren't exactly ready for SaintHood, but they do take care of their customers IMHO...

OP
G

Guyute

Reaction score
I don't deal with Verizon for the home, but I can say that all in all VZW has treated me pretty damn great for many, many years..... I've had a frustrating encounter from time to time, but in the end they 'ALWAYS' give me something or another to keep me happy...... from knocking off $200 plus when I misunderstood initial terms of messaging years back to swapping out Droids during a buy one get one free promo (my daughter wanted the Devour instead of a Droid which I got, so they did that, but then after a few months she found the Devour to be a POC, I had to call them back and try to get them to reswap back to a Droid for her...after some negotiating they eventually swapped it for her, and she has been thrilled since!!)....

So maybe they aren't exactly ready for SaintHood, but they do take care of their customers IMHO...

I've never had this happen before, they have always been pretty good. Never had an issue with VZW, but this was crazy. It felt like they baited me in with a letter saying I had a discount coming to me only to be offered a new bundle at a higher price when I called them. Then they asked me to swap equipment, exactly what the letter said I didn't have to do. I was blown away, they were trying to rip me off after offering me a discount my mail.

mcapozzi

Reaction score
Hold on...

The more you deal with FiOS, the more you will realize that you are actually dealing with two separate companies. FiOS and VZW have separate CS/billing personnel, separate account management systems, and the two entities apparently operate on completely different dimensional planes (since they lack the ability to communicate to each other).

I USED to be a FiOS customer, and I made the mistake of putting all my Verizon accounts on one bill (TV, Internet, Cell Phone). Then I would pay my bill, 15 days later, get a late notice from Verizon wireless. This would happen every month, eventually I cancelled FiOS after the 1-year contract (all the billing hassles plus getting ripped off for a DVR ($20 a month is highway robbery)). After cancelling, I waited 2 months for FiOS to credit me over $400 that they took that should have went to the wireless account.

Long story short, FiOS and VZW couldn't be more different.

-Mike

OP
G

Guyute

Reaction score
I know they are separate entities. I was never implying they were the same. Just a very unpleasant experience with Verizon I wanted to share and see if others have been ripped off. I've had them for years now and up until yesterday never had an issue but this got me steamed

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Last edited:

blueis300

Reaction score
Comcast has been screwing me for awhile. I have several channels that keep freezing and has been happening for months but its the best package in general. I get over 20 meg down for internet where as if I went with att it would be 3 meg. So I just have to deal with it because my internet is more important than the little bit of tv I watch.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I get over 20 meg down for internet where as if I went with att it would be 3 meg.

I hate to try to defend ATT because I hate them with a passion, but I get 6mbps(5 in reality/6 advertised) for $40($30 after i called and raised heck about the new 150 GB a month data cap). You probably get more speed for your money on Comcast but just wasnt sure where you pulled 3 mbps from.

mcapozzi

Reaction score
I know they are separate entities. I was never implying they were the same. Just a very unpleasant experience with Verizon I wanted to share and see if others have been ripped off. I've had them for years now and up until yesterday never had an issue but this got me steamed

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Yes, you and I know that, I was just pointing it out in case others readers did not know this.

-Mike

debrad0307

Reaction score
I may be a little late but I've recently had some issues with VZW.

I have 3 lines on my accoutrements and since we all have droids we got that family plan... 700 anytime minutes unlimiter N&W and M2M. The plan I have also includes unlimited text. The only add on is the data plan the insurance, ringbacks, and visual voicemail.. my bill for all 3 lines is around 250.00 which you may think is kind of high but it gets split 3 ways. So for about 3 months starting in January I noticed that the bill started to dramatically increase. While looking over the bill I noticed all 3 lines were being charged for data. I was pretty floored since we pay $30 a month for unlimited data. So I called Verizon and they tried to give me some BS story about the charges being for downloading FREE ringtones that by the way didn't even come from Verizon. I told the rep that was BS and I wanted the charges removed.. she then advised me that my phone needed to be taken into the store so they can make sure my ringtone app is 1. Not affiliated with Verizon and 2. The ringtones are indeed free. The app is called Zedge btw. Needless to say I went to the store and even THEY tried to say it was not a free app. I made the guy DL the app and read the TOS. I finally got those credits after all.. VZW is such a hassel to deal with when it comes to things like that. I mean its not like they're not getting money out of me. I pay my bill on time every month. I hardly ever have to call them for bill disputes but when I do I pull my hair out.

Tappin' away on my DROIDX

Vyvid

Reaction score
How did they even charge u for zedge ringtones? Did they try to charge you like u bought them from VCast or something?

Sent from my phone. That's Incredible 2!

debrad0307

Reaction score
How did they even charge u for zedge ringtones? Did they try to charge you like u bought them from VCast or something?

Yeah that's exactly how they tried to charge me.

Talkin away on my liberated DROIDX

Vyvid

Reaction score
That's just crazy lol. I dont even get how that error could be made. Craziness I say lol